Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks, Dane. :nabble_smiley_grin:

The ground wire, which goes out the other corner of the cab and then to the frame, is going to be a bit more difficult to protect. I should have pics of that tomorrow, but I want to make sure that brush won't snag it.

The padded clamps haven't come in yet, so I did other things today. The first thing I wanted to do was to fix the tank vent problem, but the rear tank was still pushing fuel out, so I ran a hose into a gas can and let it drain.

During the time that it drained I remembered that while the padding I added to the front springs helped dramatically, there has still some banging and clanging on bumps. So I did some more inspection and found that the top of the curve of the spring, where it curves around the spring mount, can easily hit the metal of the mount. So I slipped two layers of pieces of inner tubes over the curve, and it that made a big difference. I shot a video of before and after, but for some reason I can't get Youtube to accept it. So here is the best I can do:

Padding_On_The_SD_Springs_-_II.thumb.jpg.676cf8225e3c508a77dc90a4639efaa0.jpg

Then the draining was done and I could work on the vents. The best place I could find was up the side of the bed. So I measured where the filler neck is vs the bottom of the bed, and then measured up from there and put the top of the hose above that point. To support the hose I drilled through the end of the bed and inserted a bolt in from the front of the bed and a nut from the back to hold the clamp.

And then I ran the 3/16" line from the vent lines into a 3/8" tee and then used 3/8" line from there up to the filter. Here's what it looks like:

Tank_Venting_Done.thumb.jpg.702d1ab8eb041d1c649e3d9a606c7023.jpg

The padded clamps haven't come in yet, so I did other things today. The first thing I wanted to do was to fix the tank vent problem, but the rear tank was still pushing fuel out, so I ran a hose into a gas can and let it drain.

During the time that it drained I remembered that while the padding I added to the front springs helped dramatically, there has still some banging and clanging on bumps. So I did some more inspection and found that the top of the curve of the spring, where it curves around the spring mount, can easily hit the metal of the mount. So I slipped two layers of pieces of inner tubes over the curve, and it that made a big difference. I shot a video of before and after, but for some reason I can't get Youtube to accept it. So here is the best I can do:

Then the draining was done and I could work on the vents. The best place I could find was up the side of the bed. So I measured where the filler neck is vs the bottom of the bed, and then measured up from there and put the top of the hose above that point. To support the hose I drilled through the end of the bed and inserted a bolt in from the front of the bed and a nut from the back to hold the clamp.

And then I ran the 3/16" line from the vent lines into a 3/8" tee and then used 3/8" line from there up to the filter. Here's what it looks like:

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a Sony DSX-GS80. Found it on CARiD for $159 instead of the normal $248, so I got Janey's approval and ordered it. Jim, we'll have twins. :nabble_smiley_wink:

The key to me, beyond the power that the thing has, is the Bluetooth connectivity. I really get tired of plugging my iPhone in to be able to play music or take calls. This will let me pair both my phone and Janey's so we can take calls w/o worrying about which one to plug in.

But, I may be persuaded to go with a subwoofer at some point to fill in a bit of bass, and this thing has the connectivity for it.

:nabble_anim_jump:

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a Sony DSX-GS80. Found it on CARiD for $159 instead of the normal $248, so I got Janey's approval and ordered it. Jim, we'll have twins. :nabble_smiley_wink:

The key to me, beyond the power that the thing has, is the Bluetooth connectivity. I really get tired of plugging my iPhone in to be able to play music or take calls. This will let me pair both my phone and Janey's so we can take calls w/o worrying about which one to plug in.

But, I may be persuaded to go with a subwoofer at some point to fill in a bit of bass, and this thing has the connectivity for it.

:nabble_anim_jump:

That's a deep discount, and a great price, Gary!

It must be new model season.

Should offer more fidelity, not having to drive a 16W unit hard enough for all those speakers.

That's a deep discount, and a great price, Gary!

It must be new model season.

Should offer more fidelity, not having to drive a 16W unit hard enough for all those speakers.

Thanks, Jim. That is my thinking as well, that the fidelity should be better even when driving lots of speakers at a fairly high volume due to the noisy Bullnose environment.

And hopefully I can get rid of the blasted BEEP when the key is turned off. I can't figure out how to do that on this Sony unit, and it is obnoxious. I've gone through all of the instructions and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Thanks, Jim. That is my thinking as well, that the fidelity should be better even when driving lots of speakers at a fairly high volume due to the noisy Bullnose environment.

And hopefully I can get rid of the blasted BEEP when the key is turned off. I can't figure out how to do that on this Sony unit, and it is obnoxious. I've gone through all of the instructions and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off. :nabble_smiley_cry:

On mine (ours?) It's under security in the settings.

I think to remind you to take the face with you when you get out of the vehicle.

You're also going to want to turn off the phone ringer.

It's not nearly as obnoxious as my old Pioneer, but when the music shuts off and the faceplate lights up, it's enough for you to recognize there's an incoming call.

Yours is noisy, must be the headers and lack of a decent exhaust system. Darth is pretty quiet unless I have the windows down, then the front passenger seat belt flaps like a flag in a hurricane. I have a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT that Matt gave me for my 65th birthday. It does quite well, the microphone is up near the left sun visor and I have no problem using it unless I have the windows open, I just have to close them to use the Bluetooth feature.

Yours is noisy, must be the headers and lack of a decent exhaust system. Darth is pretty quiet unless I have the windows down, then the front passenger seat belt flaps like a flag in a hurricane. I have a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT that Matt gave me for my 65th birthday. It does quite well, the microphone is up near the left sun visor and I have no problem using it unless I have the windows open, I just have to close them to use the Bluetooth feature.

Thanks, Jim. The beep is really obnoxious and I've read and re-read the manual and while there's an off setting for beep it must be a different beep. Glad to know it can be turned off on "ours".

Was just reading the manual. I've downloaded Sony's Music Center app which is supposed to let me fine tune a lot of things. But the device doesn't ship until Monday, so it'll be a while before I get to try that.

However, this is perfect timing as I have the radio bezel, and radio, out so I can do the switch wiring. I'll just swap radios when the time comes to reinstall and it should be good.

Bill - Even with all the sound deadening the tire noise comes through, for sure. And, there is the exhaust sound, especially at 1800 RPM. So it isn't as quiet as I'd hoped. But it is what it is and I'm going to enjoy a modern radio.

Thanks, Jim. The beep is really obnoxious and I've read and re-read the manual and while there's an off setting for beep it must be a different beep. Glad to know it can be turned off on "ours".

Was just reading the manual. I've downloaded Sony's Music Center app which is supposed to let me fine tune a lot of things. But the device doesn't ship until Monday, so it'll be a while before I get to try that.

However, this is perfect timing as I have the radio bezel, and radio, out so I can do the switch wiring. I'll just swap radios when the time comes to reinstall and it should be good.

Bill - Even with all the sound deadening the tire noise comes through, for sure. And, there is the exhaust sound, especially at 1800 RPM. So it isn't as quiet as I'd hoped. But it is what it is and I'm going to enjoy a modern radio.

Good morning, Gary!

Since moving the throttle cable mount on the carburetor, thereby being able to have the carburetor open fully, have you had an opportunity to "exercise" Big Blue?

Good morning, Gary!

Since moving the throttle cable mount on the carburetor, thereby being able to have the carburetor open fully, have you had an opportunity to "exercise" Big Blue?

Good morning, David! This is your early morning, and you are up quite early.

No, Big Blue hasn't been out in over a week and probably won't be for another week. That's because of two things. First, I decided that wanted to get the inverter wiring done before he goes out again, and that has proven to be time consuming due to the need to get several little parts, like the padded clamps, none of which have arrived yet, probably due to the weather.

And, speaking of the weather, it seems like it has been a year but it really has only been a few days that we've had ice and snow. However, the forecast suggests that it is going to be another week or so before things clear up, and in the interim we may have more than a foot of snow.

Not many years ago I'd have been chomping at the bit to get BB out in the snow. But I've become a bit more cautious in my old age. I'm sure he would be excellent in it given the tires and the rear diff. However, with snow everywhere on the underside I can't put him back in the shop w/o having a huge mess when it all melts, and I have so many more things to do on him, so would rather not.