Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Bill - It is a strange carb. I says "Edelbrock" and "Made In USA", but the casting is obviously from Magneti Marelli, which I thought meant it was cast in Italy. But this site says "Every Edelbrock carburetor is manufactured by Magneti Marelli Powertrain USA Inc". :nabble_anim_confused:

On the speed control, you may well be right. Or it may be an accumulation of things, inc the drive gear, the cable, .....

Scott - The Carter/Edelbrock carbs have a checkered history, with casting being done in several different places. I assume that quote above is accurate, but you may find otherwise.

Jim - I think the plate is bradded onto the shaft, so taking it off wouldn't be easy. I could pull the carb, but would rather not.

I do have a ratcheting tap handle, but the arms of it would probably hit the manifold, so it wouldn't be easy. But I got this ratchet that should make it easier:

Weber owns all of Carter's patents and IP.

If Edelbrock wants to sell their product, they have to get it from somewhere.

My tap handles both have a captive Tommy bar with detents.

Bill, Stennis should be closing soon.

I'm sure there are plenty of aerospace qualified workers there.

Weber owns all of Carter's patents and IP.

If Edelbrock wants to sell their product, they have to get it from somewhere.

My tap handles both have a captive Tommy bar with detents.

Bill, Stennis should be closing soon.

I'm sure there are plenty of aerospace qualified workers there.

Olive Branch, MS. Janey's cousin, the owner of the two Chevy vehicles I've brought back here for restoration, lives there and we've visted.

Loved this pic from the article. No mistaking those valve covers, which would have fit on the engine that sat under the Will Carter Four Barrel that got me started on their carbs.

Edelbrock-409-engine-stand.thumb.jpg.ccedf7674a89adafbd6de3d5052a62a7.jpg

Bill - It is a strange carb. I says "Edelbrock" and "Made In USA", but the casting is obviously from Magneti Marelli, which I thought meant it was cast in Italy. But this site says "Every Edelbrock carburetor is manufactured by Magneti Marelli Powertrain USA Inc". :nabble_anim_confused:

On the speed control, you may well be right. Or it may be an accumulation of things, inc the drive gear, the cable, .....

Scott - The Carter/Edelbrock carbs have a checkered history, with casting being done in several different places. I assume that quote above is accurate, but you may find otherwise.

Jim - I think the plate is bradded onto the shaft, so taking it off wouldn't be easy. I could pull the carb, but would rather not.

I do have a ratcheting tap handle, but the arms of it would probably hit the manifold, so it wouldn't be easy. But I got this ratchet that should make it easier:

I will warn you, if the Carter/Weber/Magneti Marelli lever is as hard as a Holley one, have fun drilling and tapping it. I think I remember the Holley rep telling me they were case hardened.

Interesting Story, either when I owned Preston or was still in partnership with Fred Pennington, the Holley rep came in one day and said "I have a present for you" and handed me an NOS in the box R-3259-1 carburetor. That was the OEM single 4 barrel on the 1966 GT350s. I asked what he wanted for it, he said, "nothing, I think it's fair payment for the ideas I got from you".

My ideas, Holley got, the add on automatic choke kit, the add on linkage adapters for MoPARs, the Ford kickdown linkage throttle shaft (I would steal them from scrap cores).

I will warn you, if the Carter/Weber/Magneti Marelli lever is as hard as a Holley one, have fun drilling and tapping it. I think I remember the Holley rep telling me they were case hardened.

Interesting Story, either when I owned Preston or was still in partnership with Fred Pennington, the Holley rep came in one day and said "I have a present for you" and handed me an NOS in the box R-3259-1 carburetor. That was the OEM single 4 barrel on the 1966 GT350s. I asked what he wanted for it, he said, "nothing, I think it's fair payment for the ideas I got from you".

My ideas, Holley got, the add on automatic choke kit, the add on linkage adapters for MoPARs, the Ford kickdown linkage throttle shaft (I would steal them from scrap cores).

I've not drilled an Edelbrock lever, but I have my drill bit sharpener out and may have to use it a few times.

However, I do have several different balls with different stud sizes, so maybe I should see if I have one that will fit w/o drilling. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sounds like you impressed the Holley rep. Apparently those ideas paid off for them. :nabble_anim_claps:

I've not drilled an Edelbrock lever, but I have my drill bit sharpener out and may have to use it a few times.

However, I do have several different balls with different stud sizes, so maybe I should see if I have one that will fit w/o drilling. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sounds like you impressed the Holley rep. Apparently those ideas paid off for them. :nabble_anim_claps:

Stuart Layne, the Holley Tech Rep, walked into Preston one day as I was attaching a 1966 Buick Riviera throttle lever (Early Q-jets were conceived as universal with the throttle lever held on with two screws and two little posts for positive location) to one of the new that year 650 double pumpers, I had already installed an automatic choke on it, saved from one we put a manual choke kit on. He hung around and watched me get it installed, adjust the stator/kickdown switch for the TH400, make a choke tube from the right side exhaust manifold on the nailhead 425, and fire it up. Damn thing would smoke the tires with no problem, but nailheads had lots of low end torque.

Stuart Layne, the Holley Tech Rep, walked into Preston one day as I was attaching a 1966 Buick Riviera throttle lever (Early Q-jets were conceived as universal with the throttle lever held on with two screws and two little posts for positive location) to one of the new that year 650 double pumpers, I had already installed an automatic choke on it, saved from one we put a manual choke kit on. He hung around and watched me get it installed, adjust the stator/kickdown switch for the TH400, make a choke tube from the right side exhaust manifold on the nailhead 425, and fire it up. Damn thing would smoke the tires with no problem, but nailheads had lots of low end torque.

LOL! You should have underlined and made bold the "nailheads had lots of low end torque" YES! My best friend's father was a used car salesman, and one day my buddy shows up with a '63 with that 425. We went for a drive and at about 30 MPH I said "Hit it" and reached over and pulled the shift lever all the way down.

Little did I know that 63's were PNDLR and the '64 my folks had was PRNDL. Yep, I yanked it into R and the secondaries opened. And the smoke rolled! I was afraid the tires would blow before he got it shut down.

And, speaking of the '64, it had the Super Turbine 300. And the tranny in the '66 you were working on was called a Super Turbine 400 and not a Turbo Hydro, but it was basically the same tranny save for having the switch-the-pitch feature. Driven correctly those things were FAST. But floored off the line they were dogs.

The trick was to turn to a non-existent station on the AM radio and practice giving it as much throttle as you could w/o switching the pitch, which put you in granny gear and you'd hear a click on the radio. Don't do that until you exit the intersection and you were GONE!

LOL! You should have underlined and made bold the "nailheads had lots of low end torque" YES! My best friend's father was a used car salesman, and one day my buddy shows up with a '63 with that 425. We went for a drive and at about 30 MPH I said "Hit it" and reached over and pulled the shift lever all the way down.

Little did I know that 63's were PNDLR and the '64 my folks had was PRNDL. Yep, I yanked it into R and the secondaries opened. And the smoke rolled! I was afraid the tires would blow before he got it shut down.

And, speaking of the '64, it had the Super Turbine 300. And the tranny in the '66 you were working on was called a Super Turbine 400 and not a Turbo Hydro, but it was basically the same tranny save for having the switch-the-pitch feature. Driven correctly those things were FAST. But floored off the line they were dogs.

The trick was to turn to a non-existent station on the AM radio and practice giving it as much throttle as you could w/o switching the pitch, which put you in granny gear and you'd hear a click on the radio. Don't do that until you exit the intersection and you were GONE!

Mid-day report that may be the end-of-day report as I got my 2nd shot of Moderna this morning and it may slow me down this afternoon.

Anyway, the Carter/Eddy/Weber/Magneti Marelli carb's throttle flange isn't too hard to drill. The stud I took out is threaded 10-32 so I drilled and tapped it to that.

Unfortunately it lines up perfectly with the idle stop screw, so the stud can't come through the flange very far and I couldn't put a nut on the back side. But I put it on with an internal lockwasher and Loctite Orange, so I doubt it'll come off.

And, the linkage is now perfect. With the choke kicked off and the linkage resting on the stop there's just a bit of slack in the pedal. And I now get full throttle with the pedal.

Haven't driven the truck yet, but I'm sure that's going to make a difference. Thanks, Jim! :nabble_smiley_good: