Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Gary, I believe I have an extra pair of the factory 42 way engine harness connector. The male and female connectors are readily available from Dorman. This is the big square plug attached to the PDC mounting bracket. Everything for the engine except the alternator goes through this connector. It replaced the bank of 4 8 way connectors used from 1987-1991 (Huck would have had them).

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n83294/C101.jpg

Connector pins:

.060 male - E7EB-14461-BA, AUVECO 20475

.060 female - E7EB-14487-AA, Clips & Fasteners A18408

.110 male - D1AB-14461-AA, Dorman 85345, AUVECO 14887

.110 female - D1AB-14488-CA, Dorman 85346, AUVECO 14888

Either 2 or 4 of the pins (corner locations) are .110, rest are all .060. The 8 pin connectors from Huck are .060 pins.

What kind of amperage can that connector handle? Been rolling around in my head about using a single large OE style connector for my auxiliary fuse box. But would need to handle quite a bit of amps for how many circuits I have.

Gary, I believe I have an extra pair of the factory 42 way engine harness connector. The male and female connectors are readily available from Dorman. This is the big square plug attached to the PDC mounting bracket. Everything for the engine except the alternator goes through this connector. It replaced the bank of 4 8 way connectors used from 1987-1991 (Huck would have had them).

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n83294/C101.jpg

Connector pins:

.060 male - E7EB-14461-BA, AUVECO 20475

.060 female - E7EB-14487-AA, Clips & Fasteners A18408

.110 male - D1AB-14461-AA, Dorman 85345, AUVECO 14887

.110 female - D1AB-14488-CA, Dorman 85346, AUVECO 14888

Either 2 or 4 of the pins (corner locations) are .110, rest are all .060. The 8 pin connectors from Huck are .060 pins.

What kind of amperage can that connector handle? Been rolling around in my head about using a single large OE style connector for my auxiliary fuse box. But would need to handle quite a bit of amps for how many circuits I have.

That's a good question.

Molex says their .062" pins are rated at 5A and their .093" pins are rated at 17A. But, that's not to say these Ford connectors and pins are rated the same way.

Bill? Scott? Someone? Do you know the ratings for these pins?

That's a good question.

Molex says their .062" pins are rated at 5A and their .093" pins are rated at 17A. But, that's not to say these Ford connectors and pins are rated the same way.

As for what I did today, I got the fog light bracket done. Installation will have to wait until tomorrow though.

Fog_Light_Bracket_-_Back.thumb.jpg.e9d0f3c0478d509d539343c37f4fd881.jpg

Fog_Light_Bracket_-_Top.thumb.jpg.029a2722b4706b6e1c9cd8b3af0e6ea3.jpg

As for what I did today, I got the fog light bracket done. Installation will have to wait until tomorrow though.

That bracket. Wow. I am impressed. :nabble_anim_claps:

I was actually wondering the same as Rusty when I saw those were Wedgelocks. I just assumed those were the relay trigger wires or low amp circuits and the heavier gauge came out the bottom. For those you'd still need some aftermarket connectors but not near as many. I've never messed with these PDB's though so I really am not sure. Interested to hear what Bill says.

The highest amp circuit I can think of in the 86 that uses Wedgelocks would be the power locks (30A c.b).

That bracket. Wow. I am impressed. :nabble_anim_claps:

I was actually wondering the same as Rusty when I saw those were Wedgelocks. I just assumed those were the relay trigger wires or low amp circuits and the heavier gauge came out the bottom. For those you'd still need some aftermarket connectors but not near as many. I've never messed with these PDB's though so I really am not sure. Interested to hear what Bill says.

The highest amp circuit I can think of in the 86 that uses Wedgelocks would be the power locks (30A c.b).

Yeah, the bracket came out nice, and Bruce's idea made it look like other than just a piece of angle. So I really appreciate his suggestion.

On the connector, you are right that I may need to take the high-currently wires out of the connector. But there are very few of those. One will be the fog lights as they can pull about 4 amps each.

Yeah, the bracket came out nice, and Bruce's idea made it look like other than just a piece of angle. So I really appreciate his suggestion.

On the connector, you are right that I may need to take the high-currently wires out of the connector. But there are very few of those. One will be the fog lights as they can pull about 4 amps each.

Anytime. thanks for the compliment. Looks like something Warn would have made.

If I don't get a chance, Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Anytime. thanks for the compliment. Looks like something Warn would have made.

If I don't get a chance, Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Yes, Merry Christmas!!!

I hope to post up pics of the bracket and the lights installed tomorrow. Won't have the wiring done for quite some time, but at least I can see how the bracket and lights look on the truck.

That's a good question.

Gary, I don't know what the ratings are. FWIW, in 1987 when Ford went to a large round connector on the driver's side, doing away with the 1980-86 continuous front and dash harness, they used the .110 pins, in 1992 when the next update came the system changed again, the front harness was completely separate from the rear chassis harness instead of everything going through the firewall in one large round plug and the rear harness plugging into it. The new system I'm sure was partially due to safety requirements, air bags specifically as I believe take up either 6 or 8 pins so the front harness plug set, C202 has 76 pins of which 24 are .110 and the remaining 52 are .060. All the high current wires use the large pins. The rear chassis plug set, C205 has 24 .110 pins as that carries trailer brakes, lights, marker lights (for DRW), fuel pumps and gauges and the 3rd brake light wire for a camper shell.

I don't think even with every option all the holes are filled however.

The bracket looks great in silver lining, Gary! :nabble_smiley_good:

You sure are getting a lot of mileage out of your stash of that aluminium channel.

Thanks for the details, Bill. Looks like I'll need to find another connector for the few high-current circuits. The fog lights, backup lights, and trailer lights would be some of those. Hmmm, I'd better check the fuel pressure relay to see what circuit # it is and what pins it used.....

Jim - Thanks. Yes, Silver Lining is the powder I'm using on a lot of things, inc the valve covers, intake plenums, dipstick stay, coil mount, and the alternator & power steering/AC compressor brackets. And the stash of aluminum channel has come in so very handy, with parts being made for the dipstick stay, coil mount, battery hold downs, and now the fog light bracket.

As I've told Janey any number of times, I really enjoy working in my shop. Being able to make things that are needed, like for the truck, is so rewarding. And figuring out how to use the tools is a big part of that. Yesterday I was wondering how I was going to make the indention in the bracket, but then I remembered that I could angle the mill vise, so I measured the angle, set the vise, and milled the angles. Then I set the vise back to 0 and milled the straight part to connect the angles. And the part fell out. :nabble_smiley_beam: