Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Looks excellent!

Are you talking about the speed control or the speedometer as being uneven? I didn't think speed control worked below 30. Mine is sporadic at best right now but I believe I read 30 minimum in the manual a few months ago.

They are tied into the vacuum system.

Thanks, Scott and Cory!

Scott - The speedo is very smooth save for at about 15 MPH, at which point it wavers just a bit. But the speed control fluctuates at highway speeds, although it is better than it was as it was unusable.

I've been checking out the diagnostic procedure from the FSM. (We have this whole document on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control.) I see that the first thing to check is the throttle linkage, which I'll do again.

I also notice in the drawings that the diesels have a vacuum reservoir, although I don't see one for the gasoline engines. But, y'all, does yours have a reservoir?

Thanks, Scott and Cory!

Scott - The speedo is very smooth save for at about 15 MPH, at which point it wavers just a bit. But the speed control fluctuates at highway speeds, although it is better than it was as it was unusable.

I've been checking out the diagnostic procedure from the FSM. (We have this whole document on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control.) I see that the first thing to check is the throttle linkage, which I'll do again.

I also notice in the drawings that the diesels have a vacuum reservoir, although I don't see one for the gasoline engines. But, y'all, does yours have a reservoir?

My 86 doesn't have one (just the hvac tank).

My connections, where speed control is concerned, match what is on page 133 of the 86 EVTM.

If we were closer we could try out that Rotunda speed control tester David found not long ago. :nabble_smiley_beam:

.... On yours, E represents 1/3 of the aux tank and more like 2/3 of the main tank. So you could set it up for E to be truly empty on the Aux and you might have a few gallons left on the main tank. And you can certainly get one of the tanks to read Full on the gauge when full, and the other would be close. So I think you'd like it....

Something I'll have to to to keep in mind for another year. Too many projects stacked up this year to add another.

You have 40 in your tires? Dang I only run the OE 35 psi front and rear like my door tag says on my 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2s.

When I got them on discount aired them up to 50 psi which is what the tire said but my back tire was egg shaped with just a pizza cutter width center contact patch with the road. I reduced all tires back to 35 PSI and nice full contact patch that isnt under inflated.

I can go as low as 10 psi and the tires are still standing up enough to be rode on.

But Gary doesn't have a half-ton. The load range E tires on his (and my) truck say 80 psi max on the sidewall. I run 50 psi front and 40 rear. The ride from the '97 isn't bad, it handles well and the tires wear pretty evenly. And maybe I get a bit better mileage than if I dropped lower (hey, you can always dream!)

.... On yours, E represents 1/3 of the aux tank and more like 2/3 of the main tank. So you could set it up for E to be truly empty on the Aux and you might have a few gallons left on the main tank. And you can certainly get one of the tanks to read Full on the gauge when full, and the other would be close. So I think you'd like it....

Something I'll have to to to keep in mind for another year. Too many projects stacked up this year to add another.

You have 40 in your tires? Dang I only run the OE 35 psi front and rear like my door tag says on my 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2s.

When I got them on discount aired them up to 50 psi which is what the tire said but my back tire was egg shaped with just a pizza cutter width center contact patch with the road. I reduced all tires back to 35 PSI and nice full contact patch that isnt under inflated.

I can go as low as 10 psi and the tires are still standing up enough to be rode on.

But Gary doesn't have a half-ton. The load range E tires on his (and my) truck say 80 psi max on the sidewall. I run 50 psi front and 40 rear. The ride from the '97 isn't bad, it handles well and the tires wear pretty evenly. And maybe I get a bit better mileage than if I dropped lower (hey, you can always dream!)

Gary, This looks interesting. Not exactly close to you but looks fun.

https://habitatoffroad.com/blogs/trip-reports/112647494-kiamichi-trail-clayton-oklahoma-to-mena-arkansas

https://habitatoffroad.com/blogs/trip-reports/112647494-kiamichi-trail-clayton-oklahoma-to-mena-arkansas

As far as the lights. Why don't you use the holes above your winch fairlead and make a bracket that comes up from behind and mount both just above the top of the bumper. It looks like it wouldn't interfere with your winch and be out of the way of your bumper step. I used the bumper step on mine a whole lot. I had to work my feet around my license plate though. I have the bumper warn made before yours. Mine doesn't have the strengthening bend on the center section.

Bob - You are right, those LR E's can go right on up to 80 PSI, so 40 isn't much at all. But the guy from the tire shop looked them over today and said that they are wearing nicely, so apparently the 35 psi is working.

Bruce (Sorry I said Scott) - I've actually been eyeing the Kiamichi Trail, so thanks for the link. I have a friend, via Facebook, that writes for Overlanding Journal and several other pub's, that recently went on it. She and her husband live in OKC and took a couple of days to do it. From here it would take two days as well. So, perhaps in the spring if we get the vaccine?

Right now we are looking at Robber's Cave State Park on Thursday or Friday. That's going to be all highway, which is one of the reasons I want the speed control working.

And, yours doesn't have a vacuum reservoir. Ok, I'll quit worry about that.

As far as the lights. Why don't you use the holes above your winch fairlead and make a bracket that comes up from behind and mount both just above the top of the bumper. It looks like it wouldn't interfere with your winch and be out of the way of your bumper step. I used the bumper step on mine a whole lot. I had to work my feet around my license plate though. I have the bumper warn made before yours. Mine doesn't have the strengthening bend on the center section.

Bruce - Are you suggesting something like this, although the stems would be behind the vertical piece? Hadn't thought of that, but it would keep the top of the bumper clear.

I just tried it on Janey and she likes that position better than stacked out by the headlights.

I'll have to look tomorrow to see how much room there is, but we might have a winner!

Winch_Bumper_with_Lights_In_Center.thumb.jpg.de34b6e4d183dfae913d903075eec887.jpg

Mena AR isn’t too far from me, the Ouachita Mountains are beautiful. I’m lucky to live right in the middle of them. If you go all the way to Mena you have to make the hour drive east to Lake Ouachita. It is one of clearest lakes in Arkansas and its huge. I live pretty darn close to it and I’d show some fellow enthusiasts around. If anyone decides to venture out that way make sure to do the Queen Wilhelmina scenic drive (right there next to Mena AR), if you want to go little further east get on Highway 270 and go to Mt Ida. Get a cheeseburger and milkshake from from the Dairyette, you’ll need plenty of napkins. Best cheeseburger in the county. Then you can head to Joplin/Crystal Springs and go up HickoryNut Mountain and go to the Vista (it’s a lookout on top of the mountain over Lake Ouachita). There’s nice and easy offroad trails there too. There’s several campgrounds, cabins, marinas, and good places to eat. And it’s National Forest so you can camp anywhere you want. If one wants to come even further east they can hit Hot Springs and walk around downtown. Then you can go to the ORV Park and test out your rig’s offroad capabilities. Around sunset you can catch a ride on “the Belle”. It’s a riverboat that takes you on a spin around Hot Springs on Lake Hamilton. There’s plenty of places to explore with a Bullnose here, I’ve done it:nabble_smiley_grin:

I think I’ve missed my calling as a travel agent.

Bob - You are right, those LR E's can go right on up to 80 PSI, so 40 isn't much at all. But the guy from the tire shop looked them over today and said that they are wearing nicely, so apparently the 35 psi is working.

Bruce (Sorry I said Scott) - I've actually been eyeing the Kiamichi Trail, so thanks for the link. I have a friend, via Facebook, that writes for Overlanding Journal and several other pub's, that recently went on it. She and her husband live in OKC and took a couple of days to do it. From here it would take two days as well. So, perhaps in the spring if we get the vaccine?

Right now we are looking at Robber's Cave State Park on Thursday or Friday. That's going to be all highway, which is one of the reasons I want the speed control working.

And, yours doesn't have a vacuum reservoir. Ok, I'll quit worry about that.

My truck feels too squirmy at 35 psi.

The /85 series sidewalls move around enough that I don't feel connected to the road and my tires wear the edges.

Pressure can go to 80 but that is only really needed with a full load.

You lose ride comfort and compliance but the tire won't roll right off the rim in a corner.

45 F 65 R seems about where I like my truck on stock size 235/85-16 E

Mena AR isn’t too far from me, the Ouachita Mountains are beautiful. I’m lucky to live right in the middle of them. If you go all the way to Mena you have to make the hour drive east to Lake Ouachita. It is one of clearest lakes in Arkansas and its huge. I live pretty darn close to it and I’d show some fellow enthusiasts around. If anyone decides to venture out that way make sure to do the Queen Wilhelmina scenic drive (right there next to Mena AR), if you want to go little further east get on Highway 270 and go to Mt Ida. Get a cheeseburger and milkshake from from the Dairyette, you’ll need plenty of napkins. Best cheeseburger in the county. Then you can head to Joplin/Crystal Springs and go up HickoryNut Mountain and go to the Vista (it’s a lookout on top of the mountain over Lake Ouachita). There’s nice and easy offroad trails there too. There’s several campgrounds, cabins, marinas, and good places to eat. And it’s National Forest so you can camp anywhere you want. If one wants to come even further east they can hit Hot Springs and walk around downtown. Then you can go to the ORV Park and test out your rig’s offroad capabilities. Around sunset you can catch a ride on “the Belle”. It’s a riverboat that takes you on a spin around Hot Springs on Lake Hamilton. There’s plenty of places to explore with a Bullnose here, I’ve done it:nabble_smiley_grin:

I think I’ve missed my calling as a travel agent.

Jim - Part of it may be the wheels the tires are mounted on. I don't know how wide these are as Vernon put them on, but they seem to be fairly wide. And that may alter the amount of pressure needed to flatten the tire on the pavement, which these seem to have been.

As for squirm, there isn't any at 35. May have been some at 30, but very little. The truck corners well for a truck this size and height, and if the toe-in helped I think I'm going to be happy.

Jacob - It sounds like you've been all over that area. We've done the Queen Wilhelmina scenic drive, both on a motorcycle as well as in a brand new Murano, and it is beautiful! But we've not done any of the other things you mentioned, so perhaps we can when we've gotten the vaccine and we'll feel comfortable being around other people. That's because Mena is 3 1/2 hours from here, so it'll have to be at least a one-night stay, and probably two.

So thanks for the info! Yes, you may have missed your calling. :nabble_smiley_good: