Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

There's no room in either of my boxes for things to slide around but I did some curbside shopping and grabbed a stack of toddlers interlocking play mat for the bottom of my power tools box so I don't have to hear them bounce over bumps.

I'm sure it is completely destroyed now, but years later it is still doing its job.

And it was FREE.

I have a HUGE tool box on the truck, with lots of things in it, inc:

• A well-stocked Craftsman tool box with lots of hand tools

• A hydraulic bottle jack

• A canvas bag with enough chain to secure the rear of a vehicle on the trailer

• 3 serious ratchet straps to secure the front of a vehicle on the trailer

• 3 boomers to tighten the chain & wire to secure them with

• A 6" drop 12K lb capable draw bar

• A 2" draw bar with D-ring

• Tree-saver strap

• Pulley for the winch line

• 10' extension for the winch-to-battery wiring

• 4 wheel chocks

• A hook for the winch line

So if any of those things gets up against the aluminum of the tool box then things get noisy on bumps. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I have a HUGE tool box on the truck, with lots of things in it, inc:

• A well-stocked Craftsman tool box with lots of hand tools

• A hydraulic bottle jack

• A canvas bag with enough chain to secure the rear of a vehicle on the trailer

• 3 serious ratchet straps to secure the front of a vehicle on the trailer

• 3 boomers to tighten the chain & wire to secure them with

• A 6" drop 12K lb capable draw bar

• A 2" draw bar with D-ring

• Tree-saver strap

• Pulley for the winch line

• 10' extension for the winch-to-battery wiring

• 4 wheel chocks

• A hook for the winch line

So if any of those things gets up against the aluminum of the tool box then things get noisy on bumps. :nabble_smiley_cry:

My larger one is packed tight.

IMG_20201209_100931.thumb.jpg.ffb9cb360ce6d501157df252ad7ababf.jpg

IMG_20201209_100946.thumb.jpg.fd809b55e6ec57f17923d69acdf3ebc7.jpg

I have a bunch of those 20k straps too.

IMG_20201209_100938.thumb.jpg.eed030d966604679b379af7175888111.jpg

My larger one is packed tight.

I have a bunch of those 20k straps too.

That's packed, Jim. You win. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I got done today, not a lot to show. Starting last first, I have the power steering/hydroboost system apart to replace the Saginaw pump. Boy, is this a mess! There appears to be no good way to drain it cleanly, or at least I couldn't find one, and I got about a pint out and the rest went on the floor. :nabble_smiley_cry: But tomorrow I hope to swap pumps and put it back in service.

And now for what I did first thing. I took apart the Bricknose steering wheel pad, with speed control switches, that Scott sent me. I did so to clean the rubber part of the pad.

Here are the parts. And, fortunately it is wired properly to work with a Bullnose column. Note the foam piece on the inner part. The other pad doesn't have that, which is probably why it is a bit baggy.

Bricknose_Horn_Pad_Cleaned.thumb.jpg.ffb1f6c6a7df44ccadc60db296632785.jpg

And here's a comparison of the pad w/o speed control buttons and the one with. As you can see, the latter is now installed and the horn works, although I don't yet know if the speed control works.

Oh yes, the fog lights came in today. But I think they may get wrapped for Christmas. :nabble_smiley_wink:

1990_Steering_Wheel_Installed.thumb.jpg.b7278c9acd353d76f4cb7d651a7b22f4.jpgBricknose_Horn_Pad_with_Speed_Control_Buttons_Is_On.thumb.jpg.e3387d2e6d22453c1119c02e93c6f847.jpg

That's packed, Jim. You win. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I got done today, not a lot to show. Starting last first, I have the power steering/hydroboost system apart to replace the Saginaw pump. Boy, is this a mess! There appears to be no good way to drain it cleanly, or at least I couldn't find one, and I got about a pint out and the rest went on the floor. :nabble_smiley_cry: But tomorrow I hope to swap pumps and put it back in service.

And now for what I did first thing. I took apart the Bricknose steering wheel pad, with speed control switches, that Scott sent me. I did so to clean the rubber part of the pad.

Here are the parts. And, fortunately it is wired properly to work with a Bullnose column. Note the foam piece on the inner part. The other pad doesn't have that, which is probably why it is a bit baggy.

And here's a comparison of the pad w/o speed control buttons and the one with. As you can see, the latter is now installed and the horn works, although I don't yet know if the speed control works.

Oh yes, the fog lights came in today. But I think they may get wrapped for Christmas. :nabble_smiley_wink:

What's up with your pump?

Has it been clattering or leaking?

The horn pad looks good with speed control!

And if it helps you see your instruments, that's better than original. :nabble_smiley_good:

What's up with your pump?

Has it been clattering or leaking?

The horn pad looks good with speed control!

And if it helps you see your instruments, that's better than original. :nabble_smiley_good:

Oh, you missed the bit about the pump. Probably while you were AWOL. :nabble_smiley_wink:

After our first trip I found dribbles on the ground and traced them to some place in the power steering/hydroboost system. Put bibs on everything and found it was the pump. Ordered one from U-Haul and when it came in it was banged up, but still usable. I called U-Haul and told them what had happened and he shipped another one and said to give that one away.

As for the horn pad, it really does make a difference on seeing the add-on gauges. A big difference. :nabble_smiley_good:

Oh, you missed the bit about the pump. Probably while you were AWOL. :nabble_smiley_wink:

After our first trip I found dribbles on the ground and traced them to some place in the power steering/hydroboost system. Put bibs on everything and found it was the pump. Ordered one from U-Haul and when it came in it was banged up, but still usable. I called U-Haul and told them what had happened and he shipped another one and said to give that one away.

As for the horn pad, it really does make a difference on seeing the add-on gauges. A big difference. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think I did see that you had a drip but I never knew you found it.

U-techcenter has some incredible deals!

I bought a drag link with the balljoint for under $20???

Shipping on a big steel bar was $9.95?

I hope this one pans out, and perhaps you can tap the dent out and pay it forward... or stash it in the attic and keep it for a spare?

I hope this one pans out, and perhaps you can tap the dent out and pay it forward... or stash it in the attic and keep it for a spare?

I'm up to five starters now. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I need to buy some nosecone bearings and drive gears (it's NOT a bendix) and go into PMGR conversions or something.....

I put the dented on in the attic, and if I see people looking for one all they'll have to do is pay for shipping. But they can pound the dent out if they want to do so. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yep, they have some SERIOUS bargains - like your drag link. And excellent customer service. :nabble_smiley_good:

I put the dented on in the attic, and if I see people looking for one all they'll have to do is pay for shipping. But they can pound the dent out if they want to do so. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yep, they have some SERIOUS bargains - like your drag link. And excellent customer service. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hey Gary, you haven't drawn out the wiring diagram for the fog light switch yet have you? Or do you know where you are tying into the parking lamp circuit (if using Bob's idea)? Was looking over the evtm for some other stuff, hit the parking lamp circuit, and just wondered your plan.

Additionally, how are you doing the firewall penetration for all the switch wiring? I was doing some shop cleaning and ran across a part I should have thrown in the box as an option for this but you may have a great approach already.

Hey Gary, you haven't drawn out the wiring diagram for the fog light switch yet have you? Or do you know where you are tying into the parking lamp circuit (if using Bob's idea)? Was looking over the evtm for some other stuff, hit the parking lamp circuit, and just wondered your plan.

Additionally, how are you doing the firewall penetration for all the switch wiring? I was doing some shop cleaning and ran across a part I should have thrown in the box as an option for this but you may have a great approach already.

I tapped my trigger switch at the location of the 'headlights on' chime.

It's conveniently in the center of the dash by the radio.