Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

John - You need to check your monitor! The carpet is BLUE! :nabble_smiley_wink:

The paint is SEM's 4130 Regatta Blue, which is correct for 1985 and '86 trucks, as shown here: Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint. And on that page you'll see a link to Vinyl Pro, who mix SEM paint and ship it out. That's who I've used, as have several others, and they are super to work with.

Oh yes, in the VAST majority of cases you'll have to have the paint mixed to get a match as SEM's off-the-shelf paint isn't a match.

The switch bracket came in today so I had to see what it would look like. Here's a shot of the OX locker switch popped in and held in place. (Trust me, you don't want to put the switch in the bracket before you are ready. It ain't easy to get out!)

Switch_Bracket_With_Switch_Held_In_Place.thumb.jpg.a8f1eaba72aa7492337658216962e8ee.jpg

And here 'tis held up backwards so you can see how it works:

Switch_Bracket_Held_In_Place_-_Backwards.thumb.jpg.4f6308bdaa4ea47192819d3679b80f12.jpg

Last, here 'tis the right way 'round so you can see how well it fits:

Switch_Bracket_Held_In_Place.thumb.jpg.e2d8db41c357b6079edacd118e1f8690.jpg

The switch bracket came in today so I had to see what it would look like. Here's a shot of the OX locker switch popped in and held in place. (Trust me, you don't want to put the switch in the bracket before you are ready. It ain't easy to get out!)

And here 'tis held up backwards so you can see how it works:

Last, here 'tis the right way 'round so you can see how well it fits:

That does look really good!

That does look really good!

Thanks, Scott. I think it is going to turn out well, but I need to order the other 5 switches. However, I'm working on the interior at the moment.

And, on that front, I got four things painted today, and I used exactly one can of SEM Color Coat in doing that.

Here's the equivalent of a before & after of the rear trim. In this pic the new-painted one looks good, but there are flaws in it. The issues are where the old texture remains as there are several really rough spots, and the rough spots look poor. So, on the other one I'm going to do more sanding and try to smooth it out a bit. But, these would have been good candidates for the SEM texture.

Before__After_Rear_Corner_Trim.thumb.jpg.37533cf82d6d9d0876b0965826c11e96.jpg

Here's the door panel I painted, and while it looks gray it is exactly the same color as the other things I painted today. So it is just the lighting that makes it look gray, which I'll prove tomorrow by laying it side by side with some of the other parts. But the paint came out of the same can, and I've put one of kick panels I painted side by side and they are the same color.

After_Door_Panel.thumb.jpg.42097ddd6867531741a95809a81c16ae.jpg

And here's a before and after on the kick panels:

Before_Kick_Panels.thumb.jpg.a5da5e437f3b2509b1139d3299d9b044.jpgAfter_Kick_Panels.thumb.jpg.c9e17f9ec0de0b37869420028b5bbc10.jpg

Thanks, Scott. I think it is going to turn out well, but I need to order the other 5 switches. However, I'm working on the interior at the moment.

And, on that front, I got four things painted today, and I used exactly one can of SEM Color Coat in doing that.

Here's the equivalent of a before & after of the rear trim. In this pic the new-painted one looks good, but there are flaws in it. The issues are where the old texture remains as there are several really rough spots, and the rough spots look poor. So, on the other one I'm going to do more sanding and try to smooth it out a bit. But, these would have been good candidates for the SEM texture.

Here's the door panel I painted, and while it looks gray it is exactly the same color as the other things I painted today. So it is just the lighting that makes it look gray, which I'll prove tomorrow by laying it side by side with some of the other parts. But the paint came out of the same can, and I've put one of kick panels I painted side by side and they are the same color.

And here's a before and after on the kick panels:

The interior panels look awesome Gary! :nabble_smiley_good:

The interior panels look awesome Gary! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, Jim!

Janey says I won't want to use Big Blue since he's going to look so good. But that's not the case. I just don't like the gross panels that were in Big Blue. I want to go in style. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Tomorrow I hope to get the other rear panel sanded and then painted. And the sun visors & their retainers, all of which are currently brown. Then I need to pull the dash pad, glue on the cover, and paint all of it.

Thanks, Jim!

Janey says I won't want to use Big Blue since he's going to look so good. But that's not the case. I just don't like the gross panels that were in Big Blue. I want to go in style. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Tomorrow I hope to get the other rear panel sanded and then painted. And the sun visors & their retainers, all of which are currently brown. Then I need to pull the dash pad, glue on the cover, and paint all of it.

Gary. what kind of paint are you going to use? We sprayed Brutus's interior parts and dash with exterior latex house paint that we got them to color match the original blue

Gary. what kind of paint are you going to use? We sprayed Brutus's interior parts and dash with exterior latex house paint that we got them to color match the original blue
George - I think you are a few days behind. It isn't "going to use" as I've already painted several panels.

I'm using SEM Color Coatâ„¢, which they say "is a specialty flexible coating formulated to restore or change the color of most vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics, carpet and velour. Color Coat is not a dye, but a fade resistant flexible and permanent coating."

I had it mixed by Vinyl Pro to SEM's formula that matches the factory color, as explained here: Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint.

This isn't paint. Someone used paint on Big Blue's door panels and it is flaking off badly. Color Coat permanently bonds with the surface and lasts very well. But, it isn't as easy as paint. Here's the process I'm using:

1. Sand: If the part is mealy from UV, as the rear corner trim was, I sand it to get the dead plastic off. Apparently I didn't do a good enough job on the rear corner trim and will have to do some more work.

Dawn: I scrub the part with Dawn on a gray 3M pad and rinse well. This step isn't part of SEM's recommendations, but it can't hurt.

SEM Soap: The next several steps are on SEM's recommended list. They say to use their soap, which has an abrasive in it, and a gray 3M pad to take the sheen off the part.

Then clean again with 3835 Plastic & Leather Cleaner.

Spray the part with 3836 Sand Free as an adhesion promoter

Last, while the Sand Free is still wet, apply a light coat of Color Coat followed by light mist coats with 5 - 10 minutes between them.

Thanks, Jim!

They all look good but man, those kick panels look better than new.

You're saying that door panel is the same blue?! 🤨

They all look good but man, those kick panels look better than new.

You're saying that door panel is the same blue?! 🤨

Yep. that door panel is the same color as everything else. The issue is probably the fluorescent lighting in my paint/powder coating booth. But I held one of the kick panels next to the door and they are the same color.

Speaking of the kick panels, I pulled the block-off plate on the passenger's side and was going to put the vent in today, but I can't get it in. The bolt that holds the dash to the A-pillar appears to be in the way. When I pull the dash pad off I'm hoping I'll be able to see things a bit better, but I'm wondering if anyone else had problems?

Yep. that door panel is the same color as everything else. The issue is probably the fluorescent lighting in my paint/powder coating booth. But I held one of the kick panels next to the door and they are the same color.

Speaking of the kick panels, I pulled the block-off plate on the passenger's side and was going to put the vent in today, but I can't get it in. The bolt that holds the dash to the A-pillar appears to be in the way. When I pull the dash pad off I'm hoping I'll be able to see things a bit better, but I'm wondering if anyone else had problems?

Is it possible you are trying the drivers vent (flipped upside down) on the passenger side? They both have notches for that bolt/bracket though the passenger side is more pronounced -

IMG_20201105_232648.thumb.jpg.0966324e99537485527510c76d684ddd.jpg