Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yes, like that. Only blue or black, preferably. And, less expensive?

I found that I have one black one on one of Dad's door panels, so could use that and buy a new one. So black would probably be preferable in that case.

Thanks, but.... :nabble_smiley_scared:

I found that I have one black one on one of Dad's door panels, so could use that and buy a new one. So black would probably be preferable in that case.

My red interior has black boots.

Maybe it's a Bricknose thing....

But "custom" bezels are black so it saved me some $ when I ordered black armrests from LMC.

They stand out, but they don't look too out of place.

Ok, I WAS WRONG! I do not have a black boot. Or, more precisely, I do but it won't fit. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Turns out that there are two styles, and it looks like the new style started in '83 given the all new part numbers for that year. Looks to me like the '80 - 82 trucks used a flat "boot" with a plastic plate behind it. Here's the inside and outside views for Dad's original door handle boots:

Dad_s_Door_Handle_Boot.thumb.jpg.f1e6d371df0cfc56debf09d2effa04c7.jpgDad_s_Door_Handle_Boot_-_Cab_Side.thumb.jpg.11e6bff21c94f1f01d45dab754876a7e.jpg

But the later door panels don't have the studs for retaining that style boot. Instead, they are just plain, as shown on the left, and take the style boot shown on the right:

Later_Door_Panel_Handle_Opening.thumb.jpg.2ea6078ae1d74ae59f978dd0e6a504a2.jpgLater_Door_Handle_Boots.thumb.jpg.ea1d5b611d44d85597c782aa9041b809.jpg

And I have those two boots, although they are the worse for wear. And, I have a pair of blue ones, but they are so hard and so well stuck to the absolutely GROSS blue panels that I know they'll break if I try harder to remove them. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, I'm still in the market, but for $46/ea and the wrong color to boot, I might paint these brown ones and see what happens. At least they cover the edge of the door panel.

But thanks, David. I appreciate it.

Ok, I WAS WRONG! I do not have a black boot. Or, more precisely, I do but it won't fit. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Turns out that there are two styles, and it looks like the new style started in '83 given the all new part numbers for that year. Looks to me like the '80 - 82 trucks used a flat "boot" with a plastic plate behind it. Here's the inside and outside views for Dad's original door handle boots:

But the later door panels don't have the studs for retaining that style boot. Instead, they are just plain, as shown on the left, and take the style boot shown on the right:

And I have those two boots, although they are the worse for wear. And, I have a pair of blue ones, but they are so hard and so well stuck to the absolutely GROSS blue panels that I know they'll break if I try harder to remove them. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, I'm still in the market, but for $46/ea and the wrong color to boot, I might paint these brown ones and see what happens. At least they cover the edge of the door panel.

But thanks, David. I appreciate it.

If I recall correctly, you had a pretty nice NOS score on the earlier style not long ago. Shame they are different. I can picture 5 later years blue trucks between the jy and mine so will look at them the next time I am around them to see if any survived.

My red interior has black boots.

Maybe it's a Bricknose thing....

But "custom" bezels are black so it saved me some $ when I ordered black armrests from LMC.

They stand out, but they don't look too out of place.

Jim - I'm not finding those boots on LMC. But maybe it is because I told them it is an '85? :nabble_smiley_argh: I just changed to an '87 and it is still showing the 1980 - 86 door panels. But, I already know those panels are not right for 1980 - 82 or can't be right for 1983 - 86 due to the different boots. Boy, I do not like their web site.

If I recall correctly, you had a pretty nice NOS score on the earlier style not long ago. Shame they are different. I can picture 5 later years blue trucks between the jy and mine so will look at them the next time I am around them to see if any survived.

Scott - You snuck in there and I missed your response. BUT, hold the horses a bit as there's been a change of plans and I think I now need black grommets/boots. I'll explain in the next post.... :nabble_anim_working:

Scott - You snuck in there and I missed your response. BUT, hold the horses a bit as there's been a change of plans and I think I now need black grommets/boots. I'll explain in the next post.... :nabble_anim_working:

Ok, here's the plan, Stan. I'm going with black door panels so need black grommets.

I got to looking at the existing door panels and started wondering if I really want to replicate the original panels. But I've never been fond of the velour on the panels, and as I inspected the velour from these panels I found that they need a thorough cleaning. But I seriously doubt that I could use fabric cleaner w/o damaging the basically cardboard backing. And the plastic speaker grilles are badlly UV damaged and it would be very difficult to repair them.

So I asked Janey and she suggested going with all black panels. No velour and no chrome trim ring. I like it! The black door panels will tie in with the black thresholds and the black instrument and radio bezels. Plus, if I do black windshield trim, grille, etc it'll fit with that as well. And it makes the truck more utilitarian, which is the plan. (Not to mention, it will be a whole lot easier!)

But, I either need to find black arm rests or paint these.

Door_Panel_Comparison.thumb.jpg.b5240ab7d9bb24c8341394e8d06397d3.jpg

Ok, here's the plan, Stan. I'm going with black door panels so need black grommets.

I got to looking at the existing door panels and started wondering if I really want to replicate the original panels. But I've never been fond of the velour on the panels, and as I inspected the velour from these panels I found that they need a thorough cleaning. But I seriously doubt that I could use fabric cleaner w/o damaging the basically cardboard backing. And the plastic speaker grilles are badlly UV damaged and it would be very difficult to repair them.

So I asked Janey and she suggested going with all black panels. No velour and no chrome trim ring. I like it! The black door panels will tie in with the black thresholds and the black instrument and radio bezels. Plus, if I do black windshield trim, grille, etc it'll fit with that as well. And it makes the truck more utilitarian, which is the plan. (Not to mention, it will be a whole lot easier!)

But, I either need to find black arm rests or paint these.

Isn't that a black armrest on the right?

I'm on my phone, but didn't see the grommets on LMC either. ☹️

No, it is dark blue. Don't know if I have any SEM black, but will look tomorrow.

Well, it looks like I'll need some black. It just dawned on me that the carpeted map pockets are blue. So I'll either need to find some other black pockets of some kind or SEM these. So I could also SEM the arm rests black.