Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Oh man. That's a definite unexpected inconvenience.

It's a tough call - my first thought was with Ray in that it could be fixed but don't forget that the warranty is a big plus for going with the Champion name. Even if you can fix this, you run the risk that if something in the future comes up and if they are real sticklers, they might consider this tampering. At the very least I'd reach out to Champion to explain the situation.

Or better yet, link them back to the post here on the forum...

If Champion understand that they are getting unbiased criticism maybe they will step up their QC!

Oh man. That's a definite unexpected inconvenience.

It's a tough call - my first thought was with Ray in that it could be fixed but don't forget that the warranty is a big plus for going with the Champion name. Even if you can fix this, you run the risk that if something in the future comes up and if they are real sticklers, they might consider this tampering. At the very least I'd reach out to Champion to explain the situation.

Ok, we have a plan.

I called Champion and they said filing on it will not void the warranty. But that I should contact the seller to ensure they agree with the approach.

So I called Stay Cool (503-303-5193) and talked with Bill Campbell. He agreed that filing on it won't void the warranty, but that if filing doesn't fix the problem they'll ship me another one. So I'm off to file on it in a bit.....

Ok, we have a plan.

I called Champion and they said filing on it will not void the warranty. But that I should contact the seller to ensure they agree with the approach.

So I called Stay Cool (503-303-5193) and talked with Bill Campbell. He agreed that filing on it won't void the warranty, but that if filing doesn't fix the problem they'll ship me another one. So I'm off to file on it in a bit.....

Excellent! Glad to hear they were cool with it.

You'se guys are something else! :nabble_smiley_wink:

It worked! I used a sanding pad with 60 grit and then, when the gouge was almost gone, to 150 grit. Then I finished with a fine file to take out as many sanding marks as I could.

Then I filled it up and topped it off by pulling the heater hose off and filling it up that way. And then I put the cap on, added air, and it held just fine. In fact, the new cap, rated at .9 bar/13 psi, held right to 13.5 psi before lifting, which is lots better than the old one that started leaking at little bit at 12.5 psi. :nabble_smiley_good:

Radiator_Neck_Gouge_Is_Gone.thumb.jpg.b2f4c94cc6eca9c4f3d10903566cc344.jpg

Then I pulled the shroud and added self-adhesived 1/2" thick foam weatherstripping to it in order to seal off the edges. It worked fairly well, but not perfectly, as you can see below. Still, I think it seals it off well enough.

Foam_Sealing_Fan_Shroud.thumb.jpg.309720b88ebd6b16a10b60174c3ff4d1.jpg

And, here's the new radiator completely installed and ready to go. But, I haven't started the truck up as it is 33 degrees and raining at the moment, and it is supposed to freeze tonight.

Champion_Radiator_Is_In.thumb.jpg.a167250467358bbe51a2bd0f93f83c60.jpg

It worked! I used a sanding pad with 60 grit and then, when the gouge was almost gone, to 150 grit. Then I finished with a fine file to take out as many sanding marks as I could.

Then I filled it up and topped it off by pulling the heater hose off and filling it up that way. And then I put the cap on, added air, and it held just fine. In fact, the new cap, rated at .9 bar/13 psi, held right to 13.5 psi before lifting, which is lots better than the old one that started leaking at little bit at 12.5 psi. :nabble_smiley_good:

Then I pulled the shroud and added self-adhesived 1/2" thick foam weatherstripping to it in order to seal off the edges. It worked fairly well, but not perfectly, as you can see below. Still, I think it seals it off well enough.

And, here's the new radiator completely installed and ready to go. But, I haven't started the truck up as it is 33 degrees and raining at the moment, and it is supposed to freeze tonight.

Glad it worked out well Gary, would have been a pain to wait for another radiator.

Wow, that's surprising given that it's mid 50's and no sign of frost here in the north east.

Weather is a fickle mistress.

Can't even tell there was a problem :nabble_smiley_good:

I haven't looked closely at the measurements but I'll assume the shroud gap is due to the added 4 row thickness since the 3 row doesn't have it.

IMG_20201026_175513.thumb.jpg.fd626c9eccaf8bb6ce4e7b0a4e7260bd.jpg

Can't even tell there was a problem :nabble_smiley_good:

I haven't looked closely at the measurements but I'll assume the shroud gap is due to the added 4 row thickness since the 3 row doesn't have it.

Icing on the cake!

Sorry, missed out on the cool jokes earlier! :nabble_smiley_cool: