Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

If there is a shift that’s great. I have read where some clubs and even trails require a CB.

Clubs shouldn’t be a problem if your not in one. And I really can’t see a “trail” requiring it unless it’s privately owned. Probably rumor or internet lore on the trails.

Good points, smaller antennas, handhelds are great, I can’t believe how well my 2 meter hand held works!

And a lot less noise or static!

Edit: found this, you may have seen it or know. https://midlandusa.com/gmrs-or-frs-radio-how-to-choose/

That's a good read, Dane. I have been all over the Midland website, but had missed that explanation. Thanks!

As for a shift, Jeep Jamboree has already said that while CB was fine this year, next year they'll require FRS/GMRS. I'm sure there will be others to follow their lead. But I'm also sure that there will be those who resist. However, I'll bet that most private places will accommodate both for a while.

But let's ask Bob - what did SMORR require? And was there any discussion amoung your new friends of radios?

Last, I made some progress on the cooling system today. Got the majority of the coolant captured w/o a major mess and the old radiator out. And, I got the radiator hoses off.

The pic below is of the old bottom hose, on the bottom of course, and the new one above it. Both are Dayco 71215's, but notice the difference in the sleeve that protects the hose from the steering box, which the hose has a habit of resting on. With a little bit of effort the new one now has both the rubber sleeve as well as the expanded one. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Also, notice the "scratch" on the lower/old one. That's the reason I'm replacing the hose. I didn't notice it when I installed it, but when the system is up to pressure it is very obvious and I can get my thumbnail down in it a ways. So, what better time than now to replace it.

The new hose is now on and I'm expecting delivery of the new radiator and cap in the next couple of days. Then it'll be easy to put the radiator in place, bolt it in, hook up the hoses, and fill it up.

Lower_Radiator_Hoses_-_Dayco_71215.thumb.jpg.f1010db4924ff3fe7633faf83c314f66.jpg

But I'm kinda thinking I'd put the GMRS radio up there. The big daddy of Midland GMRS radios, the MXT400, is only 1.6" x 5.5" x 7.3", so it looks like it would fit. However, it has a top-firing speaker so that doesn't really work very well.

I don't know anything about gmrs and such but if that is the top tier unit and checks all the other boxes, what about using the external option?

-------

Using an External Speaker

The MXT400 provides a rear-panel jack for connection of an optional

external speaker (sold separately).

When selecting an external speaker, ensure the speaker has 8-ohm

impedance and is rated for 4.0 watts.

NOTE: When an external speaker is connected, the radio’s internal

speaker is automatically disabled.

-------

But I'm kinda thinking I'd put the GMRS radio up there. The big daddy of Midland GMRS radios, the MXT400, is only 1.6" x 5.5" x 7.3", so it looks like it would fit. However, it has a top-firing speaker so that doesn't really work very well.

I don't know anything about gmrs and such but if that is the top tier unit and checks all the other boxes, what about using the external option?

-------

Using an External Speaker

The MXT400 provides a rear-panel jack for connection of an optional

external speaker (sold separately).

When selecting an external speaker, ensure the speaker has 8-ohm

impedance and is rated for 4.0 watts.

NOTE: When an external speaker is connected, the radio’s internal

speaker is automatically disabled.

-------

Scott - Don't know that I need all the boxes ticked, but was just using it as a test of fitment. But the top-firing speaker means that's not a good option as I'd prefer to use the overhead speakers as part of the stereo, although I could wire them in if I find the included speaker doesn't cut it. After all, if we are 'wheeling we probably won't be listening to music.

I just did some checking on the Midland MXT115, which is still well-featured but "only" packs 15 watts instead of the 40 of the MXT400. And it appears to have a bottom-firing speaker, as shown below.

And Midland says "Radio Dimensions with Bracket: 5" x 5.25" x 1" (D x W x H)". So, it should fit easily in the "tray". Plus, these instructions show how it can be mounted to the Highliner & roof. So I think I'm sold, although I'll probably go with the "bundle" that includes two handhelds. And with the inverter behind the seat, as well as a behind-the-seat storage unit, I can charge the handhelds while driving.

Midland_MTX-115_Installation_Instructions.thumb.jpg.b442e3da9d3fc44b90d2ea7457bf32ad.jpg

.... But let's ask Bob - what did SMORR require? And was there any discussion amoung your new friends of radios?....

SMORR (the park itself) didn't have any requirement for radios.

Several of the guys I met had the Bao Feng radios (that's where I heard of that particular brand). There was little to no discussion of radios while we were there. But I met them on another on-line forum which is where I heard the Bao Fengs talked about as higher powered FRS radios that you could get away using without getting a license.

I didn't have any radio in my Bronco on that trip, and from what I could tell, even the people that had them weren't using them on this particular trip. We tended to just stop and pull up next to each other and talk.

But also keep in mind the vintage of the vehicles I was with. I was the third newest vehicle at 1971! The other 9 originally came as 6 volt. Several of them have been converted to 12V, but not all. So it's not like overall these guys are early tech adopters!

.... But let's ask Bob - what did SMORR require? And was there any discussion amoung your new friends of radios?....

SMORR (the park itself) didn't have any requirement for radios.

Several of the guys I met had the Bao Feng radios (that's where I heard of that particular brand). There was little to no discussion of radios while we were there. But I met them on another on-line forum which is where I heard the Bao Fengs talked about as higher powered FRS radios that you could get away using without getting a license.

I didn't have any radio in my Bronco on that trip, and from what I could tell, even the people that had them weren't using them on this particular trip. We tended to just stop and pull up next to each other and talk.

But also keep in mind the vintage of the vehicles I was with. I was the third newest vehicle at 1971! The other 9 originally came as 6 volt. Several of them have been converted to 12V, but not all. So it's not like overall these guys are early tech adopters!

Good point! Hadn't thought about the 6 volt systems. But if some had gone to the GM powertrain they've obviously upgraded them.

Anyway, I'd forgotten about BaoFeng, so looked them up. They seem to be sold via BaoFeng Tech, and they offer a wide range of radios, as show here. I'll check them out. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good point! Hadn't thought about the 6 volt systems. But if some had gone to the GM powertrain they've obviously upgraded them.

Anyway, I'd forgotten about BaoFeng, so looked them up. They seem to be sold via BaoFeng Tech, and they offer a wide range of radios, as show here. I'll check them out. :nabble_smiley_good:

Was just trying to figure out how to run the antenna cable for the Midland MXT115. The manual says the cable is 19.7'/6 meters long. Obviously that is a bit much to go from the pocket in the Highliner to the center of the top of the truck, even when going out the back and over the top. So a bit more looking determined that the radio has an SO-239 connector. Piece of cake!

Assuming shortening the antenna's cable won't hurt the SWR, and I'll check that with Midland, I'll put a waterproof SO-239 near the bed light and run a section of the lead-in to that. Then put a new PL-239 on the antenna's lead-in and be good to go.

Anyone see any problems with that?

Was just trying to figure out how to run the antenna cable for the Midland MXT115. The manual says the cable is 19.7'/6 meters long. Obviously that is a bit much to go from the pocket in the Highliner to the center of the top of the truck, even when going out the back and over the top. So a bit more looking determined that the radio has an SO-239 connector. Piece of cake!

Assuming shortening the antenna's cable won't hurt the SWR, and I'll check that with Midland, I'll put a waterproof SO-239 near the bed light and run a section of the lead-in to that. Then put a new PL-239 on the antenna's lead-in and be good to go.

Only problem I would see is getting an inexpensive SWR meter!

I have an inexpensive 2 meter SWR meter, but not sure if it would do FRS/GMRS. Have read it will be in the ballpark.

Only problem I would see is getting an inexpensive SWR meter!

I have an inexpensive 2 meter SWR meter, but not sure if it would do FRS/GMRS. Have read it will be in the ballpark.

LOL! Back in my youth, or is that ute, I made my SWR meter. But it would be easy to couple one in at the SO-239 for tuning and then take it out. Assuming Midland thinks its needed.

LOL! Back in my youth, or is that ute, I made my SWR meter. But it would be easy to couple one in at the SO-239 for tuning and then take it out. Assuming Midland thinks its needed.

I would be interested to know if it’s necessary.

“The two utes”, the two what?

I think the bulkhead connector will be fine if the impedance doesn't change.

I've been using a tiny coax bulkhead connector to power my bed lights for years without any leaks or other downsides.

It was passing ~25W with the old lights.