Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Glad to hear that about the pump, its good to know some places still have good customer service.

That engine compartment is lookin some good Gary. What is that on the heater box, some kind of wrap?

Thanks, George.

The heater box is from a '90 F-Series truck and I've covered it with Frost King Duct Insulation, as explained here. The intent is to keep it from getting so hot and, therefore, let the HVAC system work better.

Thanks, George.

The heater box is from a '90 F-Series truck and I've covered it with Frost King Duct Insulation, as explained here. The intent is to keep it from getting so hot and, therefore, let the HVAC system work better.

FWIW, it really only needs it on the engine side, that's all I have on Darth, the 1994-97 insulation on the engine side of the evaporator case. He will get cold even after a hot soak in a matter of minutes.

FWIW, it really only needs it on the engine side, that's all I have on Darth, the 1994-97 insulation on the engine side of the evaporator case. He will get cold even after a hot soak in a matter of minutes.

I agree that the part that most needs it is that facing the engine. But I've been amazed at how hot it is under the hood with a 460 in there. So I think the HVAC system will work even better with the rest of the plenum insulated.

I agree that the part that most needs it is that facing the engine. But I've been amazed at how hot it is under the hood with a 460 in there. So I think the HVAC system will work even better with the rest of the plenum insulated.

Thats actually a good idea, the more insulation you have on the HVAC, the better it will perform.

Thats actually a good idea, the more insulation you have on the HVAC, the better it will perform.

The engine bay does look good :nabble_smiley_good:

On the air cleaner - me thinks it is more trouble than its worth to have the 2 snorkels.

Besides hitting the AC hose how do you fill the oil as it is covered or is it just the picture?

You also now have 2 sucking in hot air unless piped to the radiator support.

But that is me and it is YOUR truck

Dave ----

The engine bay does look good :nabble_smiley_good:

On the air cleaner - me thinks it is more trouble than its worth to have the 2 snorkels.

Besides hitting the AC hose how do you fill the oil as it is covered or is it just the picture?

You also now have 2 sucking in hot air unless piped to the radiator support.

But that is me and it is YOUR truck

Dave ----

Dave - Thanks!

As for the air cleaner, at this point it certainly IS more trouble than it is worth to have dual snorkels.

However, to your question about hot air, the factory ducting takes care of that pretty nicely. Just turn the stuff for the passenger's side up side down and it works on the drivers side. However, that's not true of the piece that connects to the radiator support. It needs to be cut in half and the back side flipped and re-glued.

As for the oil fill, that's not a problem as I don't expect to be doing that very often with a brand new engine. But pulling the air cleaner to get to the fill isn't hard at all.

But since the goal is to go EFI, I think I'll enjoy the truck with the single snorkel unit on it for a while and use the time it would have taken to create a workable twin-snorkel air cleaner on installing the other upgrades still waiting in the wings, like:

• Installing the new u-joints in the front drive shaft and installing the shaft - after I fix the leak in the front output shaft on the t-case

• Painting all the interior trim and installing it as well as the Highliner head liner and CB unit

• Installing the 3000 watt inverter

• Installing the on-board compressed air system

And then, when all of that is done, go for the EFI.

Dave - Thanks!

As for the air cleaner, at this point it certainly IS more trouble than it is worth to have dual snorkels.

However, to your question about hot air, the factory ducting takes care of that pretty nicely. Just turn the stuff for the passenger's side up side down and it works on the drivers side. However, that's not true of the piece that connects to the radiator support. It needs to be cut in half and the back side flipped and re-glued.

As for the oil fill, that's not a problem as I don't expect to be doing that very often with a brand new engine. But pulling the air cleaner to get to the fill isn't hard at all.

But since the goal is to go EFI, I think I'll enjoy the truck with the single snorkel unit on it for a while and use the time it would have taken to create a workable twin-snorkel air cleaner on installing the other upgrades still waiting in the wings, like:

• Installing the new u-joints in the front drive shaft and installing the shaft - after I fix the leak in the front output shaft on the t-case

• Painting all the interior trim and installing it as well as the Highliner head liner and CB unit

• Installing the 3000 watt inverter

• Installing the on-board compressed air system

And then, when all of that is done, go for the EFI.

Ok it sounds like you have a good plan. LOL

Did Ford ever have a 2 snorkel 460 filter housing or was it just on the HO 302 / 351 motors?

What was done for the EFI motor you are copping, if I under stand you right, for the air filter for your install?

Playing :nabble_smiley_evil: is anything more than factory needed if not turning high RPM's? I would think if running 5000 RPM and up 90% of the time then something would need to be done.

Also if that worried on flow have you looked into how close the lid is to the top of the carb and if it hurts the flow of air? Yes this can happen more so with drop base filter housings to clear the hood but wanted to put it out there it can be a thing.

Man I am glad I have a little old 300 six that can flow air :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Dave ----

ps what filter housing was used on the dyno test?

Ok it sounds like you have a good plan. LOL

Did Ford ever have a 2 snorkel 460 filter housing or was it just on the HO 302 / 351 motors?

What was done for the EFI motor you are copping, if I under stand you right, for the air filter for your install?

Playing :nabble_smiley_evil: is anything more than factory needed if not turning high RPM's? I would think if running 5000 RPM and up 90% of the time then something would need to be done.

Also if that worried on flow have you looked into how close the lid is to the top of the carb and if it hurts the flow of air? Yes this can happen more so with drop base filter housings to clear the hood but wanted to put it out there it can be a thing.

Man I am glad I have a little old 300 six that can flow air :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Dave ----

ps what filter housing was used on the dyno test?

I don't think Ford ever offered a true dual-snorkel for the 460. What they had was a trap door on the back of the housing that opened when the vacuum got down to a certain point. It got more air to the engine, but it was HOT air.

I doubt I need dual snorkels. And when I go EFI I'll be running factory '95 ducting with a single duct over to the filter box on the driver's fender. What I'd like to do is figure out how to duct cold air to that.

But this engine hasn't been dyno'd. Dad's engine was but w/o a filter IIRC. However, Scotty has dyno'd this combination and said it'll turn out 360 - 370 HP, but I don't know if a filter was used in that test either.

I don't think Ford ever offered a true dual-snorkel for the 460. What they had was a trap door on the back of the housing that opened when the vacuum got down to a certain point. It got more air to the engine, but it was HOT air.

I doubt I need dual snorkels. And when I go EFI I'll be running factory '95 ducting with a single duct over to the filter box on the driver's fender. What I'd like to do is figure out how to duct cold air to that.

But this engine hasn't been dyno'd. Dad's engine was but w/o a filter IIRC. However, Scotty has dyno'd this combination and said it'll turn out 360 - 370 HP, but I don't know if a filter was used in that test either.

Gary, the inlet for the EFI 460 air box is next to the radiator and the inlet is curved away from the radiator. Inlet is visible to the driver's side of the radiator/condenser/oil cooler.

Oil_cooler.thumb.jpg.a09876c4622aff9ecda8fb386ab4cd1c.jpg

Gary, the inlet for the EFI 460 air box is next to the radiator and the inlet is curved away from the radiator. Inlet is visible to the driver's side of the radiator/condenser/oil cooler.

I did not know they had a door that opened to let more air in.

The 76 E350 van I had with a 460 / C6 did not have a door (I am sure of) or cold air from what I remember but that was a long time a go on the cold air.

I was going to say I thought all the newer trucks came with cold air inlets and even more so on the EFI trucks.

Dave ----