Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yes, with reasonable volume levels. On the way over I discovered that 1500 RPM is NOT where you want to cruise with those cherry bombs. Way too much resonance at that RPM.

That's one of the nice things about a crew cab, the exhaust still ends up just behind the right side rear wheels, but since I have a 168" wheelbase the noise is mostly behind me. The only time it is really noticeable is coming up the slopes in the CBBT with a window open, nice deep 460 sound.

I designed, and had a local shop build me a dual system for my 1977 F150 I put the 390 in, the tailpipes came out on a 45° right at the rear right side of the bed, just before the bumper area. That was so when I had the 11.5' Wolverine slide in camper loaded the exhaust was away from the corner. That one used actual Corvair Turbo mufflers on edge with the left exhaust pipe into the inboard forward muffler and the right into the outboard aft muffler. The H was right where they came together. Left actually passed under the transmission extension housing. Normal driving it had a nice mellow sound, stand on it, and as Matt described it, the exhaust would get a crack sound in it.

That's one of the nice things about a crew cab, the exhaust still ends up just behind the right side rear wheels, but since I have a 168" wheelbase the noise is mostly behind me. The only time it is really noticeable is coming up the slopes in the CBBT with a window open, nice deep 460 sound.I designed, and had a local shop build me a dual system for my 1977 F150 I put the 390 in, the tailpipes came out on a 45° right at the rear right side of the bed, just before the bumper area. That was so when I had the 11.5' Wolverine slide in camper loaded the exhaust was away from the corner. That one used actual Corvair Turbo mufflers on edge with the left exhaust pipe into the inboard forward muffler and the right into the outboard aft muffler. The H was right where they came together. Left actually passed under the transmission extension housing. Normal driving it had a nice mellow sound, stand on it, and as Matt described it, the exhaust would get a crack sound in it.
There aren't that many routing options for a 460 4wd regular cab, so I left all that to the pros. And it looks to me like they hit a home run. I'll give y'all several shots and then include a video or two:

Exhast_Pipes__Collectors_II.thumb.jpg.7334fb65b575fb059660a4abcfb9a9c3.jpg

X-Pipe__Mufflers.thumb.jpg.6e46fbca9a969685a6419dbc38ce9ff2.jpg

Exhaust_Clears_Spare_Tire_Spot.thumb.jpg.7fad241207e4a26796ac868e5dd3a181.jpg

Exhaust_Rear_View.thumb.jpg.114162fe520e1f056ff4a051bac037d0.jpg

There aren't that many routing options for a 460 4wd regular cab, so I left all that to the pros. And it looks to me like they hit a home run. I'll give y'all several shots and then include a video or two:

That looks really nice Gary! :nabble_smiley_cool:I like how they tacked the mufflers together to kill vibration.

Thanks! Yes, I'm really pleased with it.

Now if I can just get the engine running right. Part of it is that the choke is way too lean. But there's something else as well.

You said that you had a valvetrain noise.

Is that it?

What are the symptoms of "something else"?

BTW, two thumbs up to muffler shop Scotty and the guy who did that nice clean installation! :nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_smiley_good:

Normal driving it had a nice mellow sound, stand on it, and as Matt described it, the exhaust would get a crack sound in it.

Sounds just like my Borlas under the supercab. Love being able to cruise quietly but get on it and hear them crackle.

Looks great Gary! Very clean install

Thanks! Yes, I'm really pleased with it.

Now if I can just get the engine running right. Part of it is that the choke is way too lean. But there's something else as well.

Looks really nice, I like the way he routed everything. I see the O2 sensor bungs. When you get ready for the O2 sensors, you may want to borrow my NTK catalog, it has a buyers guide section that gives the cable length. The 1996 OBD-II system for the 460 has the right side O2 sensor wiring in the front harness since it has to go to the far side of the engine. The 302 and 351 run the right side O2 sensor wiring in the engine harness. The non-OBD-II engines put it back at the converter inlet and the wires run in the transmission/transfer case harness.

You said that you had a valvetrain noise.

Is that it?

What are the symptoms of "something else"?

BTW, two thumbs up to muffler shop Scotty and the guy who did that nice clean installation! :nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - I'm still not getting good crisp acceleration and it feels like it is missing under part throttle. It isn't even smooth with full throttle, like there's a minor balance problem.

As for the valve train noise, I'll try to record it, but it is hard to capture over the roll-over noise of the ZF5. Maybe I can put the t-case in neutral and the tranny in gear and get around it that way?

Scott - You are right, they do sound like Borlas. Hadn't thought of that. I'm told the X-pipe makes it raspy.

Bill - I have the AFR meter and its O2 sensor, so I'm wondering about installing it to help me figure out the roughness/missing problem. But I see what you are saying about the sensors for the ECU. I may take you up on that offer.

Jim - I'm still not getting good crisp acceleration and it feels like it is missing under part throttle. It isn't even smooth with full throttle, like there's a minor balance problem.

As for the valve train noise, I'll try to record it, but it is hard to capture over the roll-over noise of the ZF5. Maybe I can put the t-case in neutral and the tranny in gear and get around it that way?

Scott - You are right, they do sound like Borlas. Hadn't thought of that. I'm told the X-pipe makes it raspy.

Bill - I have the AFR meter and its O2 sensor, so I'm wondering about installing it to help me figure out the roughness/missing problem. But I see what you are saying about the sensors for the ECU. I may take you up on that offer.

Could any of this be attributable to the carb you're using, or the fact that it's on an adapter plate?

That seems like having an awfully big plenum.

A shot from the accelerator pump isn't going to do much, and that volume has a lot of inertia going this way and that, that might send confusing signals to the carb.

Those things are mostly meant for WOT drag and pulling vehicles.

There's no flow issue if you keep it at 8k or more.

And, of course read what Scottie said about too big pipes killing response and throttled power.

Could any of this be attributable to the carb you're using, or the fact that it's on an adapter plate?

That seems like having an awfully big plenum.

A shot from the accelerator pump isn't going to do much, and that volume has a lot of inertia going this way and that, that might send confusing signals to the carb.

Those things are mostly meant for WOT drag and pulling vehicles.

There's no flow issue if you keep it at 8k or more.

And, of course read what Scottie said about too big pipes killing response and throttled power.

That's an interesting point, Jim. I just sent Scotty a note asking about that. I'll report back when he answers.