Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Guys, I'm lost. I think you are solving a problem that's already been solved.

I talked with two Holley techs and told both of them what I'm doing - using 1995 EFI pumps and want a regulator to drop the pressure for a carb. And both said the 12-881 is the guy. Well, it didn't quite work, but it does now with the 2nd regulator installed. Dead steady at 5 1/2 psi every time I look. And it is installed securely so it can be used for however long it is needed.

Yes, it is possible that one of the regulators will fail. But so could the distributor or the power steering pump or any number of other things. And if it does fail the engine will quickly die, the oil pressure will drop, and the pump will stop 'cause the oil pressure switch will open.

I have a lot of other problems to solve, including a power steering leak and a transfer case leak. The alignment to finish. The front pump to check out and the skid plate to put on. A grille to put on, interior pieces to paint and install, windshield trim to install, etc. So I'm not looking for potential problems to solve.

But if I'm missing something, please rattle my cage. I'm not saying you'uns are wrong, but I haven't yet seen the problem. What am I missing? :nabble_anim_confused:

And now for a bit of humor. When I pulled in to have the thing aligned today it was sprinkling. So I turned on the windshield wipers, but even though I heard them run the windshield didn't get wiped. It was only later that I realized I'd taken the wiper arms off. Yet another thing to put back on. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yep, sometimes I don't notice what's right in front of my face! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Do recall what I said about my using longer blades on the later J-hook arms.

I was saying there's no need to piggyback regulators, if you were to simply T the non-return regulator off of a pressurized fuel loop.

Carry on with whatever you have on your punchlist.

Are you going with an Argent grille?

but it does eliminate the damn crinkle bends that rust so fast... in the rear.

I am guessing his will be the smooth 'reduced' bend vs the crinkle type.

Edit: found this photo here: http://cateraninc.com/catalytic-converter/.

I guess the correct names are: Mandrel, Press Bent, Empty Bent ?

Scott - I do think that's what he does, the "press bent". That's my understanding but I'll find out in the morn.

Jim - I'm just planning to use the hacked up grille it came with at the moment, awa the badly faded headlight doors. Had to put the headlight doors on today to get the turn signals on. Had to put the upper piece in front of the radiator support on to hold the upper inside corner of the headlight doors. And had to find the fasteners to do all that. My filing system isn't very good. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But there's one sheetmetal nut missing and I haven't found a replacement. Yet. And I haven't found the two loooooong screws for the bottom outside corners of the headlight doors. IOW, a 20 minute job took 90 minutes and even then I didn't get done.

Then, when things settle down, meaning I get the leaks fixed and the engine running correctly, I'll address the headlight doors, grille, upper/lower trim, windshield trim, etc. May go blackout on all of those things.

Scott - I do think that's what he does, the "press bent". That's my understanding but I'll find out in the morn.

Jim - I'm just planning to use the hacked up grille it came with at the moment, awa the badly faded headlight doors. Had to put the headlight doors on today to get the turn signals on. Had to put the upper piece in front of the radiator support on to hold the upper inside corner of the headlight doors. And had to find the fasteners to do all that. My filing system isn't very good. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But there's one sheetmetal nut missing and I haven't found a replacement. Yet. And I haven't found the two loooooong screws for the bottom outside corners of the headlight doors. IOW, a 20 minute job took 90 minutes and even then I didn't get done.

Then, when things settle down, meaning I get the leaks fixed and the engine running correctly, I'll address the headlight doors, grille, upper/lower trim, windshield trim, etc. May go blackout on all of those things.

I didn't mean to start anything. If I had know you owned a carb and tune up shop, I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

I didn't mean to start anything. If I had know you owned a carb and tune up shop, I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

And I didn't mean anything by throwing that out there. :nabble_smiley_blush:

:nabble_anim_handshake:

Bill can be really helpful, if you're receptive to his requests for diagnostics.

Like me, he phrases things in certain ways and tries to eliminate as many variables as possible.

But I don't have nearly the experience, so I can't say "Oh, 85% of the time it's 'this'... but if not, it's likely 'that'.

In reverse order:

Bill - I do remember you saying that, but I assumed that the regulator would handle it. Obviously not.

Jim - "No solenoid and no 'actual' regulator." Got it.

Shaun - That kind of RPM's on the highway was what Dad's truck was turning with the 3.50's and a C6 @ 65. And that was one of the big reasons I put in the ZF5 - this same ZF5 in fact. :nabble_smiley_wink: But if your 460/T19 combo has 3.55's and 33's it'll turn right at 2500. That's what BB turns in 4th.

Rob - I think I can JUST see the camber with my eye on the passenger's side tire. I'd thought before taking it in that it looked slightly out at the top. But it is hard to see.

And just for you: :nabble_smiley_wink:

:nabble_smiley_good: Looks great Gary!

:nabble_smiley_good: Looks great Gary!

Thanks, Rob. :nabble_smiley_good:

Big Blue should get out of the muffler shop this afternoon. We dropped him off about 8:45 this morning and the owner, Scotty, showed me the mufflers. Big! And he confirmed that the bends are smooth. :nabble_smiley_good:

Then about 2 hours later we stopped by on the way home from shopping and I talked with the guy installing the system. In fact, he invited me to come under the lift with him. He told me about his vehicles, like the Willys with a 4BT & D44 in it, and said he's installing the exhaust as if it was one of his own vehicles.

So, I'm sure I'm going to be happy.

Thanks, Rob. :nabble_smiley_good:

Big Blue should get out of the muffler shop this afternoon. We dropped him off about 8:45 this morning and the owner, Scotty, showed me the mufflers. Big! And he confirmed that the bends are smooth. :nabble_smiley_good:

Then about 2 hours later we stopped by on the way home from shopping and I talked with the guy installing the system. In fact, he invited me to come under the lift with him. He told me about his vehicles, like the Willys with a 4BT & D44 in it, and said he's installing the exhaust as if it was one of his own vehicles.

So, I'm sure I'm going to be happy.

Zoom zoom? :nabble_smiley_wink: