Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I believe that is correct, I think I still have a bunch of long ones left over. Darth still has the 1986 extruded aluminum ones and they fit the 1996 interior pieces.

Well, here's what ~34.5 sq ft of sound deadening material looks like installed. I ordered two 36 sq ft boxes and have just enough left of the first one to do the transmission cover. But will use the other box on the doors and the roof, although I'm not sure when.

Jim - When you use spray adhesive, what adhesive do you use and do you spray both parts? I'd like to use it on the roof of the cab.

Sound_Deadening_Installed_-_Drives_View_To_Rear.thumb.jpg.ae46b511007153f6d84983b22fba4284.jpgSound_Deadening_Installed_-_Drives_View_To_Front.thumb.jpg.5d86768e6157c515f30b553290e10686.jpgSound_Deadening_Installed_-_Passengers_View_To_Front.thumb.jpg.084b8e91fa56efad0252061fc192a0ee.jpgSound_Deadening_Installed_-_Passengers_View_To_Rear.thumb.jpg.3bd40a94566fb9bf2ca9dc9068885e8d.jpg

Well, here's what ~34.5 sq ft of sound deadening material looks like installed. I ordered two 36 sq ft boxes and have just enough left of the first one to do the transmission cover. But will use the other box on the doors and the roof, although I'm not sure when.

Jim - When you use spray adhesive, what adhesive do you use and do you spray both parts? I'd like to use it on the roof of the cab.

I would use 77, 88 or 90.

I've also used the pink drywall trim adhesive, 3M 61...

I used 90 this time because the can was handy.

I wipe the surface down with lacquer thinner or Prep-sol and when it flashes off I apply a light coat.

Because of the solvents in solution it gets a tremendous bite on the panel.

I came up with this when I had problems adhering the insulation to the inside of my doors.

Mission control, we are go for liftoff! 👨‍🚀

You did a bit more than me, but I have carpet on the back of my cab.

Looooking Goooood! :nabble_smiley_good:

I would use 77, 88 or 90.

I've also used the pink drywall trim adhesive, 3M 61...

I used 90 this time because the can was handy.

I wipe the surface down with lacquer thinner or Prep-sol and when it flashes off I apply a light coat.

Because of the solvents in solution it gets a tremendous bite on the panel.

I came up with this when I had problems adhering the insulation to the inside of my doors.

Ok, that gives me enough to go on. Thanks. And you do spray both parts, right?

Yes, we are getting close! :nabble_anim_jump:

Nope, I just get the sheet metal a little tacky.

Any more is a waste, and counterproductive (IMO)

Contact adhesives are meant to keep things in CONTACT, not floating on a thick film of goo.

There is already glue on the insulation.

The key is getting a 'key' on the painted surface you're applying it to.

That looks great Gary! I’m interested to know how much difference that makes in cabin noise. I would like to at least be able to hold a conversation in my crew cab when it’s finished, and most of the factory sound control for diesels is long gone. I will likely try something similar to this. Did you add adhesive to this lower part? I see black drips by the rear cab mounts?

That looks great Gary! I’m interested to know how much difference that makes in cabin noise. I would like to at least be able to hold a conversation in my crew cab when it’s finished, and most of the factory sound control for diesels is long gone. I will likely try something similar to this. Did you add adhesive to this lower part? I see black drips by the rear cab mounts?

POR-15 I think....

I missed what exactly you are sticking up there and sounds like you already have a plan but this stuff works great for under the headliner. Really light and once it's stuck you have to tear and scrape it off.

IMG_20200829_194535.jpg.06213081e2f4b2c1ce35790b86400106.jpg

I missed what exactly you are sticking up there and sounds like you already have a plan but this stuff works great for under the headliner. Really light and once it's stuck you have to tear and scrape it off.

Jonathan - There are two sets of black on the floor: some original drops of probably seam sealer, and the POR-15 that Jim mentioned. Both of which are well covered up at present. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But I didn't use any adhesive for the sound deadener. It REALLY sticks, and I can't imagine it could be gotten off once it is properly rolled on. There's a waffle pattern in the aluminum foil on it and the instructions say to roll it until the waffle pattern is gone. That takes quite a bit of rolling, but once done the sound deadening itself is not going anywhere.

It is the insulation that I'm thinking I'll use the spray adhesive on. It has its own adhesive on it, but it isn't as aggressive as the sound deadener. I'm sure it'll be fine under the carpet, but for the roof I'm not sure it'll stay. But I've really not started installing it yet, so don't know for sure.

As for how much difference there is, bear in mind that I'm going from no sound deadening to lots, no insulation to quite a bit, and no headliner to sound deadening & insulation. So there had better be a big difference. But I'll let you know, for sure.

Jim - You are right, I put two heavy coats of POR-15 on the rusty areas. So they are well and truly SEALED.

Scott - I went with Noico products. I'm using their sound deadener and will be using their RED 150 mil closed cell foam insulation. I found it to be well rated and less expensive than the Eastwood stuff. So far I'm impressed sound deadener. But I have yet to use any of the insulation so will wait to pass judgment on it until I do.