Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I KEEP getting hit with "the Nabble server is over capacity"

I want to do away with the rag joint.

I'm going to have to find a ready made answer or weld something together myself.

Yes, Nabble says they've been hit by spammers, which is taking a lot of CPU cycles on the server. On the other hand, there is progress on the attempt to run Nabble on another a server in the wild. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for Big Blue, there was some progress today:

Engine_Oil_Cooler__Grille_Mocked_Up.thumb.jpg.1158095bdc02f9e04ef7cdecaeab9edf.jpg

Really, this is just a mock up to see how the engine oil cooler and the grille will get along. You can see the large aftermarket oil cooler on the driver's side, but I've oriented it in the factory position rather than the horizontal position used by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:.

Turns out the grille touches the cooler when it is snugged down, but not very hard so I think it'll be fine. As for mounting, I'm going to use rubber-lined stainless clamps to go from the tops of the tubes to the holes in the radiator support you can see in this pic - which I suspect are the factory holes for the 460's engine oil cooler. And I'll use another one on the bottom tube with a standoff back to the radiator support.

Engine_Oil_Cooler_Mocked_Up.thumb.jpg.ed62c65294ce2ccf26cf8006c8f68f00.jpg

Then I turned to the hoses going from the engine to the cooler. The ones that were on BB have no markings, so I don't know if they are heater hose, oil cooler hose, or what. So I ordered 12' of Hayden Automotive 112 Engine Oil Cooler Hose.

Last, here's what the back side of the grille looks like after :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: had his way with it. That's such a shame as the grille appears to have been in good condition prior to his butchering it. I'm seriously considering painting the grille black, but I wish I had a better or different grille to do that to. The hacks are visible through the grille from the front, but perhaps if it was all black they might not be?

Thoughts?

Florida_Mans_Handiwork_On_The_Grille.thumb.jpg.5fab1b89527eaf626d2c3f4b6b9e2387.jpg

Yes, Nabble says they've been hit by spammers, which is taking a lot of CPU cycles on the server. On the other hand, there is progress on the attempt to run Nabble on another a server in the wild. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for Big Blue, there was some progress today:

Really, this is just a mock up to see how the engine oil cooler and the grille will get along. You can see the large aftermarket oil cooler on the driver's side, but I've oriented it in the factory position rather than the horizontal position used by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:.

Turns out the grille touches the cooler when it is snugged down, but not very hard so I think it'll be fine. As for mounting, I'm going to use rubber-lined stainless clamps to go from the tops of the tubes to the holes in the radiator support you can see in this pic - which I suspect are the factory holes for the 460's engine oil cooler. And I'll use another one on the bottom tube with a standoff back to the radiator support.

Then I turned to the hoses going from the engine to the cooler. The ones that were on BB have no markings, so I don't know if they are heater hose, oil cooler hose, or what. So I ordered 12' of Hayden Automotive 112 Engine Oil Cooler Hose.

Last, here's what the back side of the grille looks like after :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: had his way with it. That's such a shame as the grille appears to have been in good condition prior to his butchering it. I'm seriously considering painting the grille black, but I wish I had a better or different grille to do that to. The hacks are visible through the grille from the front, but perhaps if it was all black they might not be?

Thoughts?

Clearance Clarence???

Done is done, but I wouldn't sweat it.

BB is meant to be used, Dad's Truck is the trailer queen.

Clearance Clarence???

Done is done, but I wouldn't sweat it.

BB is meant to be used, Dad's Truck is the trailer queen.

Yep, it is meant to be used. So I'm not too worried that the grille was hacked up. Still....

But, what did you mean by "Clearance Clarence"? Are you suggesting I should cut the back of the grille to give clearance to the cooler? Or?

Yep, it is meant to be used. So I'm not too worried that the grille was hacked up. Still....

But, what did you mean by "Clearance Clarence"? Are you suggesting I should cut the back of the grille to give clearance to the cooler? Or?

I think that's from 'Airplane' or some other spoof.

The grille certainly shouldn't be rubbing the cooler.

I think that's from 'Airplane' or some other spoof.

The grille certainly shouldn't be rubbing the cooler.

Yep, I think you are right. In fact, the way I have the cooler in the pictures is literally up against the condenser, and it probably shouldn't be. So when I get the right rubber-padded clamps in I'll make sure they hold the cooler off the condenser and then figure out how much to cut off the back of the grille so it clears the cooler.

And while I'm cutting on the back of the grille I think I'll see if I can clean up some of the mess left by http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg. As you can see in this pic, it is a mess! So maybe I can get it on the mill and clean it up some.

But, I also see in the lower right of the pic that there is at least one separator that is broken. Obviously this is no virgin grille.

And while I was looking at this pic of the back of the grille I saw the nuts holding the Ford emblem on, which reminded me of my thought of painting the grille black. It would be easy to remove the emblem, spray it black, and put it back. But I wonder how a blue Ford emblem will look in a fully-black grille? I gave away the old grille off Dad's truck, but the 80/81 grille might have looked better than an 82/86 grille.

Thoughts, ya'll?

Florida_Mans_Handiwork_On_The_Grille_-_Closeup.thumb.jpg.762673c1a67a94096ac97d80dafa07f0.jpg

Yep, I think you are right. In fact, the way I have the cooler in the pictures is literally up against the condenser, and it probably shouldn't be. So when I get the right rubber-padded clamps in I'll make sure they hold the cooler off the condenser and then figure out how much to cut off the back of the grille so it clears the cooler.

And while I'm cutting on the back of the grille I think I'll see if I can clean up some of the mess left by http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg. As you can see in this pic, it is a mess! So maybe I can get it on the mill and clean it up some.

But, I also see in the lower right of the pic that there is at least one separator that is broken. Obviously this is no virgin grille.

And while I was looking at this pic of the back of the grille I saw the nuts holding the Ford emblem on, which reminded me of my thought of painting the grille black. It would be easy to remove the emblem, spray it black, and put it back. But I wonder how a blue Ford emblem will look in a fully-black grille? I gave away the old grille off Dad's truck, but the 80/81 grille might have looked better than an 82/86 grille.

Thoughts, ya'll?

Gary, here is the factory oil cooler mounting:

271.thumb.jpg.88579c983e20b5f6a9e3dd9986611305.jpg

Gary, here is the factory oil cooler mounting:

Thanks, Bill. Those are the same mounting points I'm looking at using.

This illustration shows how it was mounted from the factory, and the fittings are screw-on. I'll be using hose and hose barbs. But I will try to bring the hoses in the way this shows

However, there's lotsa "stuff" around the frame and it is going to be a pain finding a clear run for the hoses. Do you have a pic of where yours run from the adapter on the engine to the frame?

air-to-oil-cooler-illustration_orig.thumb.jpg.fcb17607745998e8be1b344cf5db30f9.jpg

Thanks, Bill. Those are the same mounting points I'm looking at using.

This illustration shows how it was mounted from the factory, and the fittings are screw-on. I'll be using hose and hose barbs. But I will try to bring the hoses in the way this shows

However, there's lotsa "stuff" around the frame and it is going to be a pain finding a clear run for the hoses. Do you have a pic of where yours run from the adapter on the engine to the frame?

I do, but I used the 1990 attachment points and the hoses just come under the radiator support.

DSCN0771.thumb.jpg.b75dc9636e333f7bc603126e614b3bbf.jpg

I do, but I used the 1990 attachment points and the hoses just come under the radiator support.

How do they come off the engine and to the frame? It appears they run down the frame, but how do they get there? Any guidance on that or pictures thereof?

How do they come off the engine and to the frame? It appears they run down the frame, but how do they get there? Any guidance on that or pictures thereof?

I wonder if that's only for vans? Not saying they don't exist but I've never seen a truck with the hoses mounted to the frame like that and can't imagine how it would with the steering box. The trucks I've seen with coolers are pretty much a straight shot.

IMG_20200715_191244.jpg.6b10d1708b4a9a9abf522b0072f1c8bc.jpgIMG_20200715_191252.jpg.175af5fa815c326195b5d5f302c1eb9e.jpgIMG_20200715_191300.jpg.bf187ed1370de12bac261cf4b504f85e.jpg