Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

My truck may not have AC but it does seem to have the same snap together case as Huck.

Just caught up on the last several pages. I've missed a lot of good stuff.

What pains me the most though is missing the opportunity for a good Fifth Element reference ("multi-pass") :nabble_smiley_happy:

For the recirc door, I had it out to coat and re-foam and I am pretty sure it involved removing a sheet metal screw that secures the curved part of the hinge rod in a 'lip' on the door. Even with the screw removed it took a fair amount of prying to get the rod out of the door. Same effort to get it snapped back in.

Just caught up on the last several pages. I've missed a lot of good stuff.

What pains me the most though is missing the opportunity for a good Fifth Element reference ("multi-pass") :nabble_smiley_happy:

For the recirc door, I had it out to coat and re-foam and I am pretty sure it involved removing a sheet metal screw that secures the curved part of the hinge rod in a 'lip' on the door. Even with the screw removed it took a fair amount of prying to get the rod out of the door. Same effort to get it snapped back in.

I forgot to take a pic today of the screw-on vacuum motor, but it is for sure one of those.

As for the recirculate door, I discovered how to get it out. The crank has a finger with a clip on the end of it, and that clip snaps into place in a window in the shaft, as shown below. Reach in with a long screwdriver, push the tip of the finger to release it, and pull the shaft out.

Recirc_Crank__Shaft.thumb.jpg.23042b119f246cfe67906264de7075e9.jpg

Then I pealed the old foam off of the door:

Naked_Recirc_Door.thumb.jpg.4ac8e25b860bfd149a998731f645a30a.jpg

And with a bit of layout work and cutting, plus spray adhesive, I had this:

Recirc_Door_-_Side_1.thumb.jpg.90a9967006f01f78a77de55220479550.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of how it fits, which is nicely:

Recirc_Door_Done_-_Side_2.thumb.jpg.919d3e623c4f73162abdd029b87082ba.jpgRecirc_Door_Done_-_Side_1.thumb.jpg.2b3cefa41eb9101fb0bb66ffad48edca.jpg

And then I moved on to insulating the HVAC plenum. Got maybe half way done.

HVAC_Plenum_Partially_Insulated.thumb.jpg.dc3226d4f4b4f5b06bff5514dd5d9dfb.jpg

I forgot to take a pic today of the screw-on vacuum motor, but it is for sure one of those.

As for the recirculate door, I discovered how to get it out. The crank has a finger with a clip on the end of it, and that clip snaps into place in a window in the shaft, as shown below. Reach in with a long screwdriver, push the tip of the finger to release it, and pull the shaft out.

Then I pealed the old foam off of the door:

And with a bit of layout work and cutting, plus spray adhesive, I had this:

Here are a couple of shots of how it fits, which is nicely:

And then I moved on to insulating the HVAC plenum. Got maybe half way done.

Disregard the door info I added. They definitely changed it up between the years!

Disregard the door info I added. They definitely changed it up between the years!

Yes, it is quite different. But it appears to be very rigid, and with new foam ought to seal up tightly.

Still haven't figured out how to put a filter in there. Would sure be nice if there was a way to do that, and even better if the filter was accessible in order to change it out.

Yes, it is quite different. But it appears to be very rigid, and with new foam ought to seal up tightly.

Still haven't figured out how to put a filter in there. Would sure be nice if there was a way to do that, and even better if the filter was accessible in order to change it out.

Have you considered how much heat you could avoid if you faced the engine bay side of the cowl with that reflective insulation?

Have you considered how much heat you could avoid if you faced the engine bay side of the cowl with that reflective insulation?

Yes, and came to the conclusion that it would be too difficult. However, had I done it when the engine was out it wouldn't have been nearly as difficult. I wound up removing the HVAC plenum, and the steering column and brake booster were out, so effectively all that was left was the wiper motor and the clutch master. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Yes, and came to the conclusion that it would be too difficult. However, had I done it when the engine was out it wouldn't have been nearly as difficult. I wound up removing the HVAC plenum, and the steering column and brake booster were out, so effectively all that was left was the wiper motor and the clutch master. :nabble_smiley_sad:

The entire underside of my Ranger is covered in a large sheet of reflective insulation, and I've thought many times about ripping it out. Not only does it tear super easily, but it has a bad tendency of falling onto your face when removing transmissions and such. More annoyance than it's worth honestly, because I can still feel heat through the floorboard even with carpet.

The entire underside of my Ranger is covered in a large sheet of reflective insulation, and I've thought many times about ripping it out. Not only does it tear super easily, but it has a bad tendency of falling onto your face when removing transmissions and such. More annoyance than it's worth honestly, because I can still feel heat through the floorboard even with carpet.

I'm considering it.

I don't have any AC and vent windows can only do so much.

I'm considering it.

I don't have any AC and vent windows can only do so much.

You need a rear slider, unless you have something blocking the rear window, I can't remember.

I never run A/C in my Ranger, I just open all the windows including the slider and let mother nature take care of me. But I guess after a long day playing in non-venilated spaces and outdoors in the sun, mother nature can only do so much to cool a body off.

You need a rear slider, unless you have something blocking the rear window, I can't remember.

I never run A/C in my Ranger, I just open all the windows including the slider and let mother nature take care of me. But I guess after a long day playing in non-venilated spaces and outdoors in the sun, mother nature can only do so much to cool a body off.

I've had rear sliders in all of my trucks. The SuperCab and all three crew cabs have usually had toppers on them, and the slider isn't that reachable from the driver's seat. But I used it a LOT in my first truck (regular cab). It didn't have AC, but open the side windows and the rear slider and it was pretty good on a hot summer day. Or open the rear slider and the foot vents on a rainy day and stay cool and dry (except when you come to a stop).

Plus on long road trips I'd put a cooler in the front of the bed and I could reach a cold Dr. Pepper while I drove!

(We won't talk about the road trip where my brother and I grilled brats through the rear slider while taking highway 2 across Michigan's U.P. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:)