Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

So you are saying that the main flow will be from the steering gear and it should go through the straight part of the T and into the pump. And what little flow comes from the hydroboost system will get directed by the power steering fluid?

That makes sense with what I'm reading in the FSM, which says "With the Hydro-Boost at rest (engine (6007) on, brakes released) power steering fluid flows from the inlet port, across the number 3 land and through the outlet port to the steering gear."

Ok, I'll give it a try. I can do that plumbing tomorrow and then go to the Y if I have to. But, how will I know if I have a problem with the return?

Correct. powersteering fluid flows from the pump through the hydroboost to the gearbox back to the pump reservoir. the return on the hydroboost only returns fluid upon pressing/releasing the brake pedal. Long as the brake pedal is left stationary there is no fluid returning from the hydroboost to the reservoir it is simply passing through the hydroboost to the gearbox.

It is actually a very interesting design. You probably could use the Y with no problem, but ive always used a Tee at work with no problem and its easier to locate a Tee than a unique Y. Only problem we've ever had was using an aftermarket or external powersteering reservoir. These always become aeriated and you start getting pump whine upon hitting the pedal or turning the wheel.

On a side note, that looks like a GM style pump you are running, if so try looking for a Chevrolet 2500-3500 truck with hydroboost, you can buy a pump can with hydroboost and you wouldn't have to run the tee, just plug the return from the hydroboost into the can.

On the problem, if you have a problem you will know, you will have one of two things, either no brake assist which would be very unlikely, or you will have a pump whine every time you hit the pedal like you are low on powersteering fluid.

This whine happens due to aeriation of the fluid.

Correct. powersteering fluid flows from the pump through the hydroboost to the gearbox back to the pump reservoir. the return on the hydroboost only returns fluid upon pressing/releasing the brake pedal. Long as the brake pedal is left stationary there is no fluid returning from the hydroboost to the reservoir it is simply passing through the hydroboost to the gearbox.

It is actually a very interesting design. You probably could use the Y with no problem, but ive always used a Tee at work with no problem and its easier to locate a Tee than a unique Y. Only problem we've ever had was using an aftermarket or external powersteering reservoir. These always become aeriated and you start getting pump whine upon hitting the pedal or turning the wheel.

On a side note, that looks like a GM style pump you are running, if so try looking for a Chevrolet 2500-3500 truck with hydroboost, you can buy a pump can with hydroboost and you wouldn't have to run the tee, just plug the return from the hydroboost into the can.

On the problem, if you have a problem you will know, you will have one of two things, either no brake assist which would be very unlikely, or you will have a pump whine every time you hit the pedal like you are low on powersteering fluid.

This whine happens due to aeriation of the fluid.

The pump is a Saginaw off an 1990 E350 w/a 460.

But back to the Y or T. I can see that a T would flow best for the steering gear if set up that way. But it would flow poorly for the hydroboost. However, a Y wouldn't flow badly for either. Maybe slightly less than the T for the steering, but lots better for the brakes.

So, why not use the Y? Or do you think the T is best?

The pump is a Saginaw off an 1990 E350 w/a 460.

But back to the Y or T. I can see that a T would flow best for the steering gear if set up that way. But it would flow poorly for the hydroboost. However, a Y wouldn't flow badly for either. Maybe slightly less than the T for the steering, but lots better for the brakes.

So, why not use the Y? Or do you think the T is best?

Well you can run either one I guess. But remember the return on the hydroboost is not a whole lot. If you pull the return off the hydroboost and cap the T and crank the truck up and let someone hit the pedal youll see a squirt and that's it. its not a torrent like with your powersteering gearbox that it is a lot of fluid flowing constantly.

You can run the Y if it makes you feel better but, Ive never had a problem running the T on a hydroboost installation at work but I fully understand thinking the Y would be better. I just wouldn't sit and delay my project for a Y if the T works fine.

If you want to set your mind at 150% ease without no fear of a problem with your system I would recommend swapping your can out for this can.

https://www.jegs.com/i/AGR/012/962505/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpKuPzKae6QIVTP_jBx329wAYEAQYAiABEgJ18vD_BwE

This one has the hydroboost return so you wouldn't have to run the Tee, just run your powersteering gearbox return to the curved return port and run your hydroboost return to the straight nipple in the side of the can.

This looks just like the OE GM can we get at work for late model conversions or hydroboost installations. but that one comes up as fitting ford Saginaw pumps as well.

Well you can run either one I guess. But remember the return on the hydroboost is not a whole lot. If you pull the return off the hydroboost and cap the T and crank the truck up and let someone hit the pedal youll see a squirt and that's it. its not a torrent like with your powersteering gearbox that it is a lot of fluid flowing constantly.

You can run the Y if it makes you feel better but, Ive never had a problem running the T on a hydroboost installation at work but I fully understand thinking the Y would be better. I just wouldn't sit and delay my project for a Y if the T works fine.

If you want to set your mind at 150% ease without no fear of a problem with your system I would recommend swapping your can out for this can.

https://www.jegs.com/i/AGR/012/962505/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpKuPzKae6QIVTP_jBx329wAYEAQYAiABEgJ18vD_BwE

This one has the hydroboost return so you wouldn't have to run the Tee, just run your powersteering gearbox return to the curved return port and run your hydroboost return to the straight nipple in the side of the can.

This looks just like the OE GM can we get at work for late model conversions or hydroboost installations. but that one comes up as fitting ford Saginaw pumps as well.

If you've run a tee with no problems on the ones you've done I think I'll do the same. And if there's only a little bit from the hydroboost unit, and only when braking, then giving the power steering the straight shot makes sense.

As for the other can, that one has the fittings in an awkward position and angle. I've seen some that put the fittings in better directions, but I've also thought about brazing a fitting in right where I'd like to have it.

Anyway, I think I'll be fine with the tee. Thanks.

If you've run a tee with no problems on the ones you've done I think I'll do the same. And if there's only a little bit from the hydroboost unit, and only when braking, then giving the power steering the straight shot makes sense.

As for the other can, that one has the fittings in an awkward position and angle. I've seen some that put the fittings in better directions, but I've also thought about brazing a fitting in right where I'd like to have it.

Anyway, I think I'll be fine with the tee. Thanks.

on the can if you need to tweak it up, you can put a combination wrench on the nipple and tweak it to a new position. Ive done that quite a few times on transplants.

But I don't think you will have a problem with the Tee, all the aftermarket kits come with a Tee and tell you to install the return lines with the powersteering return on the straight leg and the hydroboost on the offshoot of the Tee. When I did my first hydroboost install it was aftermarket and I thought how is that going to work like that but then I found out more about how it all functions and thought to myself well now it makes sense.

on the can if you need to tweak it up, you can put a combination wrench on the nipple and tweak it to a new position. Ive done that quite a few times on transplants.

But I don't think you will have a problem with the Tee, all the aftermarket kits come with a Tee and tell you to install the return lines with the powersteering return on the straight leg and the hydroboost on the offshoot of the Tee. When I did my first hydroboost install it was aftermarket and I thought how is that going to work like that but then I found out more about how it all functions and thought to myself well now it makes sense.

Good to know that I can tweak the nipple. I was afraid it would leak if I did.

As for hydroboost kits saying to use a tee and put the power steering return to the straight-through leg, I'm :nabble_smiley_blush:. I have a kit that came with Big Blue that I've been planning to use on Dad's truck, but never bothered to read the instructions. Will do as it may be something that we want to put on the Hydroboost page.

Thanks!

Good to know that I can tweak the nipple. I was afraid it would leak if I did.

As for hydroboost kits saying to use a tee and put the power steering return to the straight-through leg, I'm :nabble_smiley_blush:. I have a kit that came with Big Blue that I've been planning to use on Dad's truck, but never bothered to read the instructions. Will do as it may be something that we want to put on the Hydroboost page.

Thanks!

Yep, it is the way that the aftermarket kits want you to splice the return for the hydroboost.

One thing that some will state if you end up running an external reservoir you will need to source one that has a baffling in it to reduce aeriation but even then we did that with a race car and it still had pump whine with a external reservoir with a baffle. I think its just too much flow in such a small reservoir.

Yep, it is the way that the aftermarket kits want you to splice the return for the hydroboost.

One thing that some will state if you end up running an external reservoir you will need to source one that has a baffling in it to reduce aeriation but even then we did that with a race car and it still had pump whine with a external reservoir with a baffle. I think its just too much flow in such a small reservoir.

Rusty - The instructions I have from Hydratech say exactly what you are saying. The long part of the tee is for the power steering box's return to the pump, and the short side is for the brake's return. In fact, they have a full page explanation of that, so I scanned their instructions in and put them on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then the Master Cyl's & Boosters tab and the Hydroboost Upgrade tab.

Anyway, I got the return all plumbed up today using the brass tee, as shown below. The return port on the Saginaw I have installed has a poor angle on it for this use, and I gave a lot of thought to using the pump I built for Dad's truck or the can from Jegs. But neither of those have a good angle to the port, so I just used this one and looped the line up and over, as you can see here. It isn't pretty, but it should work.

Hydroboost__Power_Steering_In_-_Dip_Stick_Mocked_Up.thumb.jpg.b28d4d172295663e87597637d0f3f205.jpg

And, you can also see in the above pic the mockup I did of a bracket for the dip stick using Jim's suggestion. I drilled that piece to take bolts into the valve cover and a bolt holding the dip stick itself. Looks like it ought to work nicely, so I'll make something out of the aluminum channel I used for the battery hold downs. Good idea, Jim!

But, in the pic below you can see that the dip stick isn't quite where it'll end up being when I get the piece made. That's because the piece I used is too close to the valve cover so you can't run the bolt in far enough to make the dip stick pull up to the angle. I'll make the to-be piece a bit wider so a bolt can be threaded in from the back and act like a stud for a nut to go on. Or, just Loctite a stud in the aluminum.

So, what color should that bracket be? The same as the valve covers? Black?

Dip_Stick_Mocked_Up_-_Front.thumb.jpg.d93359b611ab6ff3af5faee7203e34dd.jpg

Rusty - The instructions I have from Hydratech say exactly what you are saying. The long part of the tee is for the power steering box's return to the pump, and the short side is for the brake's return. In fact, they have a full page explanation of that, so I scanned their instructions in and put them on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then the Master Cyl's & Boosters tab and the Hydroboost Upgrade tab.

Anyway, I got the return all plumbed up today using the brass tee, as shown below. The return port on the Saginaw I have installed has a poor angle on it for this use, and I gave a lot of thought to using the pump I built for Dad's truck or the can from Jegs. But neither of those have a good angle to the port, so I just used this one and looped the line up and over, as you can see here. It isn't pretty, but it should work.

And, you can also see in the above pic the mockup I did of a bracket for the dip stick using Jim's suggestion. I drilled that piece to take bolts into the valve cover and a bolt holding the dip stick itself. Looks like it ought to work nicely, so I'll make something out of the aluminum channel I used for the battery hold downs. Good idea, Jim!

But, in the pic below you can see that the dip stick isn't quite where it'll end up being when I get the piece made. That's because the piece I used is too close to the valve cover so you can't run the bolt in far enough to make the dip stick pull up to the angle. I'll make the to-be piece a bit wider so a bolt can be threaded in from the back and act like a stud for a nut to go on. Or, just Loctite a stud in the aluminum.

So, what color should that bracket be? The same as the valve covers? Black?

Gary, I think if you radiused the outer corners, and maybe projected the ends more towards the ends of the valve cover, it would look 'cleaner'.

As for color you've asked me not to taunt you so I'm keeping it to myself... :nabble_smiley_evil:

Gary, I think if you radiused the outer corners, and maybe projected the ends more towards the ends of the valve cover, it would look 'cleaner'.

As for color you've asked me not to taunt you so I'm keeping it to myself... :nabble_smiley_evil:

Blue like the block!