Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I haven't found Amazon's parts fit function to be 💯%

The horn IS a lovely 'shade' of red 😈

It's almost like it's taunting you. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I agree that Amazon isn't always accurate. And I'll side with a driveshaft shop when it comes down to deciding between them and Amazon. After all, I got a caster/camber eccentric from Amazon that said it was something like an A/C switch.

In this case they asked me for a pic of the innards of the double-cardan joint. And the key was if there was a grease fitting. Those take one size of part and the ones without take another size. Amazon says one part fits all.

As for the horn, it certainly is RED! But I'm not sure it is taunting me. I think it'll taunt whomever is right ahead of Big Blue. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Mooooooveover! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Yep, that's what it says. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I did today, I did a bit of media blasting. Scott/WelderScott is coming over tomorrow to blast and powder coat his brake calipers, so I thought I ought to get the few parts I have ready.

Here's the power steering bracket, the fasteners and hold-downs for the batteries, and the bracket and fasteners for the coolant recovery tank.

Oh yes, another thing I did today was to make the whatever-you-call-it that's the 2nd from top thing in the right pic. It sorta is a j-bolt, like the three of those in the pic. But that one goes into a hole in the aux battery bracket with a nut on the bottom and one on the top above the hold-down. And it is threaded 1/4-28 like the j-bolts so I can use the stainless wing nuts I ordered today. (Thanks again, Jim.)

And, speaking of the j-bolts, those rascals are .205" in diameter. Yes, exactly the same as the minor diameter of 1/4-28 threads. So how do they put those threads on there? At first I thought they rolled them on, but that displaces metal up. And in this case there's no metal to displace up. Is the blank larger where the threads go? :nabble_anim_confused:

In any event, it sure makes it hard to put more threads on a j-bolt. The die falls off! :nabble_smiley_scared:

In closing, the bracket on the left is to be coated with Silver Lining and the stuff on the right will be in Gloss Black.

Power_Steering_Bracket.thumb.jpg.95a9b32b34b76c22d4e3f4b65568ff4f.jpgPowder_Coating_Parts_for_May_2nd_2020.thumb.jpg.0f63abba6b434ed7830326e411de3e3c.jpg

And, speaking of the j-bolts, those rascals are .205" in diameter. Yes, exactly the same as the minor diameter of 1/4-28.

How do they put those threads on there? At first I thought they rolled them on, but that displaces metal up. And in this case there's no metal to displace up. Is the blank larger where the threads go? :nabble_anim_confused:

In any event, it sure makes it hard to put more threads on a j-bolt. The die falls off!

I imagine the blanks are waisted so the die has an easy lead in, or out.

It's pretty easy to get exactly what you want when you have the might that Ford did, and you want a zillion of them.

And, speaking of the j-bolts, those rascals are .205" in diameter. Yes, exactly the same as the minor diameter of 1/4-28.

How do they put those threads on there? At first I thought they rolled them on, but that displaces metal up. And in this case there's no metal to displace up. Is the blank larger where the threads go? :nabble_anim_confused:

In any event, it sure makes it hard to put more threads on a j-bolt. The die falls off!

I imagine the blanks are waisted so the die has an easy lead in, or out.

It's pretty easy to get exactly what you want when you have the might that Ford did, and you want a zillion of them.

Yep, and it probably saved them some money as well as weight. Every little bit adds up.

Got notification that the dip stick has shipped from Lokar, so they did have at least one in stock. And the driveshaft parts have shipped from Denny's Driveshafts.

The only thing I'm missing is the boot strap. The one I ordered from Summit is going to be too short. However, from what I'm reading most of the straps, if not all, require a tool to install them.

Denny said most people just use a heavy zip tie. Anyone see a problem with that?

Yep, and it probably saved them some money as well as weight. Every little bit adds up.

Got notification that the dip stick has shipped from Lokar, so they did have at least one in stock. And the driveshaft parts have shipped from Denny's Driveshafts.

The only thing I'm missing is the boot strap. The one I ordered from Summit is going to be too short. However, from what I'm reading most of the straps, if not all, require a tool to install them.

Denny said most people just use a heavy zip tie. Anyone see a problem with that?

Strap tool, any shop that works on FWD axles should have several different styles.

Strap tool, any shop that works on FWD axles should have several different styles.

Otikier clamp pliers.

You can use a 'pinch collar' type PEX tool or even a pair of horse shoing pliers.

Heavy duct work type zip ties work too.

It helps if you have the tool to tension and nip them.

Otikier clamp pliers.

You can use a 'pinch collar' type PEX tool or even a pair of horse shoing pliers.

Heavy duct work type zip ties work too.

It helps if you have the tool to tension and nip them.

I can't find a clamp big enough. It needs to be at least 6 3/4" long, and most of what I find is a max of 5".

I've looked through the list of #'s Bruce provided and they are all too short. I've perused Amazon and haven't found them. Can't find them on the Dorman site, although that site is frustrating to use. And I can't find it on Rock Auto.

So, the plan at this point is to put a zip tie on it and take it somewhere that has the clamps. Obviously a driveline shop would, and potentially 4WD Parts.

But if anyone knows of a source for longer clamps, please let me know.

I can't find a clamp big enough. It needs to be at least 6 3/4" long, and most of what I find is a max of 5".

I've looked through the list of #'s Bruce provided and they are all too short. I've perused Amazon and haven't found them. Can't find them on the Dorman site, although that site is frustrating to use. And I can't find it on Rock Auto.

So, the plan at this point is to put a zip tie on it and take it somewhere that has the clamps. Obviously a driveline shop would, and potentially 4WD Parts.

But if anyone knows of a source for longer clamps, please let me know.

As said, WelderScott came over and we powder coated. I got the battery hold downs and fasteners as well as the brackets for the coolant reservoir and power steering/air conditioning.

Here's the power steering/air conditioning bracket on the truck:

Power_Steering_Bracket_Is_ON.thumb.jpg.1df56205e4f3b54131aed9515d2190b4.jpg

And here's the battery hold downs as well as the coolant recovery reservoir bracket:

Main_Battery_Hold_Down_PCd__Installed.thumb.jpg.3e512d16dc57890cbdb19481c630bbbc.jpgAux_Battery_Hold_Down_PCd__Installed.thumb.jpg.de2b74f12bcd40d91f9e33a48a8e3594.jpg