Bullnose Forum

Big Blue's Transformation

You don't want to weld on it because you can create a hard point subject to future cracking.

I told you this when you wanted to gusset the crossmember in dad's truck.

Heating, and allowing it to cool isn't going to 'pull' like a weld can.

I know plenty of DOT weldors that do "what you aren't supposed to" all day, every day.

Thanks, Jim.

As for what I did today, I had success!

But, that wasn't all I did. First I made a spacer, put it in, and discovered that it caused the header to hit the perch on the passenger's side. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Then I took the header out, and cut the frame like this:

Cutting_The_Frame_For_Header.thumb.jpg.73e320ecb5ded4e5bb2a8623eebf8feb.jpgRight_Frame_Trimmed.thumb.jpg.25a8ee3cee2429d04888c9a5717f568a.jpg

Then I took the spacer out, painted the frame, reinstalled the padding, reinstalled the header, and found that I can get a 3/8" drill bit in that space easily. In fact, a 1/2" will almost go. And that is w/o a spacer.

I still have a bit of work to do as one bolt doesn't want to go in so I need to loosen the others up and get that one going, but I think it was a good day. :nabble_smiley_good:

Right_Header_Clearance.thumb.jpg.bb5128391ba18a66f5fd80e8afee7b15.jpg

Thanks, Jim.

As for what I did today, I had success!

But, that wasn't all I did. First I made a spacer, put it in, and discovered that it caused the header to hit the perch on the passenger's side. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Then I took the header out, and cut the frame like this:

Then I took the spacer out, painted the frame, reinstalled the padding, reinstalled the header, and found that I can get a 3/8" drill bit in that space easily. In fact, a 1/2" will almost go. And that is w/o a spacer.

I still have a bit of work to do as one bolt doesn't want to go in so I need to loosen the others up and get that one going, but I think it was a good day. :nabble_smiley_good:

Progress is good! 👍

Progress is good! 👍

Yes it is, Jim. And we are both making progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm hoping that tomorrow I can get the recalcitrant bolt to go in correctly and snug up all but the rear bolt for #2, which is the one that's 7/16-14. I don't have the SHCS in stainless, so will have to order some or go into the local hardware store. But that really won't hold me up as I can install it later and torque all of them down then.

Then I hope to get the left header back on and snugged down. But before I install it I need to radius the rear hole for #6 so I can get the bolt in, and check the threads on the rear bolt for #8.

After that I'll see if the tranny will go back in or if I'm going to have to grind on it to clear the header. Gotta remember to use the PST on the threads for the top bolts as they go into the valve cover area. Then put the transmission crossmember and mount on. None of that is hard, but it is tedious as it isn't easy getting to some of those fasteners.

Then I'm good to install the t-case, install the steering shaft, powder coat the power steering/AC bracket as well as a bunch of other little parts, etc. Its gonna start looking like it may eventually run! :nabble_anim_jump:

Yes it is, Jim. And we are both making progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm hoping that tomorrow I can get the recalcitrant bolt to go in correctly and snug up all but the rear bolt for #2, which is the one that's 7/16-14. I don't have the SHCS in stainless, so will have to order some or go into the local hardware store. But that really won't hold me up as I can install it later and torque all of them down then.

Then I hope to get the left header back on and snugged down. But before I install it I need to radius the rear hole for #6 so I can get the bolt in, and check the threads on the rear bolt for #8.

After that I'll see if the tranny will go back in or if I'm going to have to grind on it to clear the header. Gotta remember to use the PST on the threads for the top bolts as they go into the valve cover area. Then put the transmission crossmember and mount on. None of that is hard, but it is tedious as it isn't easy getting to some of those fasteners.

Then I'm good to install the t-case, install the steering shaft, powder coat the power steering/AC bracket as well as a bunch of other little parts, etc. Its gonna start looking like it may eventually run! :nabble_anim_jump:

No wonder you're exhausted, Gary!

Slow down.

Take human bites! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

No wonder you're exhausted, Gary!

Slow down.

Take human bites! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I have to make hay while the sun shines. Soon my grandtwins will be here and there won't be much time for the shop.

I really would like to drive Big Blue this summer. The goal has been to drive him to the show, which is the 19th of Sept, which is 5 months from yesterday. That seems doable, but only if I keep pushing. And while the show may not happen, that's still my goal.

The headers have been the long pole in the tent. Until they were in I didn't dare install the t-case, driveshafts, tranny cover, shifter, etc. But with them in I can move on to those things, most of which are ready and waiting.

I have to make hay while the sun shines. Soon my grandtwins will be here and there won't be much time for the shop.

I really would like to drive Big Blue this summer. The goal has been to drive him to the show, which is the 19th of Sept, which is 5 months from yesterday. That seems doable, but only if I keep pushing. And while the show may not happen, that's still my goal.

The headers have been the long pole in the tent. Until they were in I didn't dare install the t-case, driveshafts, tranny cover, shifter, etc. But with them in I can move on to those things, most of which are ready and waiting.

You have your ducks all in a row!

(Have you been duck pin bowling?, do you understand the reference?)

You have your ducks all in a row!

(Have you been duck pin bowling?, do you understand the reference?)

I've never even seen duck pin bowling, much less played. But I've heard that the pins are smaller and harder to knock down.

As far as Big Blue goes, I do have a lot of those pins lined up. But, I awoke with a thought this morn - what if there's no lock washer on the bolt that won't go in the whole way? These lock washers are about twice as thick as a normal one, and the absence would leave the bolt sticking out quite a ways. That might explain it.

I've never even seen duck pin bowling, much less played. But I've heard that the pins are smaller and harder to knock down.

As far as Big Blue goes, I do have a lot of those pins lined up. But, I awoke with a thought this morn - what if there's no lock washer on the bolt that won't go in the whole way? These lock washers are about twice as thick as a normal one, and the absence would leave the bolt sticking out quite a ways. That might explain it.

Are you using Nord-lock's?