Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

And something to be said for being able to make them yourself. I really like the smooth cylinder look.

Oh, absolutely!

And before my Covacation I'd have thought it ridiculous to spend more on the stock than the buck or so a coupling nut costs.

Time changes all things...

Oh, absolutely!

And before my Covacation I'd have thought it ridiculous to spend more on the stock than the buck or so a coupling nut costs.

Time changes all things...

Ok, I'm going to officially say the "electrical system" is done. :nabble_anim_jump: (That's not to say that there isn't other "electrical" work to be done, like re-installing the oil pressure switch and connecting the harness to it. And there's the winch to put back on. But that's all old stuff. Its the new stuff that is done.)

But, to get to "done" I did something that may test Dane's statement of "I don’t think you can go OTT on grounds!"

I got ready to install the strap ground from the firewall to the engine and ran into a minor problem. I have several of the ground straps, but for various reasons none of them were fit for the job. One was way too long. Another had too small of ring-tongue terminals on it. And then I looked at the one that was on Big Blue when I got it, and discovered how poor of shape it is in.

So, I made one out of the leftover wire and terminals I had that would fit. Turned out that the connectors I had to fit the bolts/screws I wanted to use were for #2 wire, and I had just enough of that to make the ground.

To prep I ran a 3/8-16 tap into the back of the head to clean those threads, and filed/sanded the paint off the mating spot. Then I found a new screw for the original spot for the ground on the firewall, sanded the spot down and cleaned the threads. And, with liberal doses of my favorite anti-seize, here 'tis:

Engine_To_Firewall_Ground.thumb.jpg.c44c45f89a942f073c8551a3694ca449.jpg

But, I forgot to take a pic to compare the old to the new. So, here's the old with the last bit of #2 wire I have left. Dane, is it OTT? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Old_Engine_To_Firewall_Ground_vs_New.thumb.jpg.43839d6589297f01580a6f9418371f6e.jpg

Ok, I'm going to officially say the "electrical system" is done. :nabble_anim_jump: (That's not to say that there isn't other "electrical" work to be done, like re-installing the oil pressure switch and connecting the harness to it. And there's the winch to put back on. But that's all old stuff. Its the new stuff that is done.)

But, to get to "done" I did something that may test Dane's statement of "I don’t think you can go OTT on grounds!"

I got ready to install the strap ground from the firewall to the engine and ran into a minor problem. I have several of the ground straps, but for various reasons none of them were fit for the job. One was way too long. Another had too small of ring-tongue terminals on it. And then I looked at the one that was on Big Blue when I got it, and discovered how poor of shape it is in.

So, I made one out of the leftover wire and terminals I had that would fit. Turned out that the connectors I had to fit the bolts/screws I wanted to use were for #2 wire, and I had just enough of that to make the ground.

To prep I ran a 3/8-16 tap into the back of the head to clean those threads, and filed/sanded the paint off the mating spot. Then I found a new screw for the original spot for the ground on the firewall, sanded the spot down and cleaned the threads. And, with liberal doses of my favorite anti-seize, here 'tis:

But, I forgot to take a pic to compare the old to the new. So, here's the old with the last bit of #2 wire I have left. Dane, is it OTT? :nabble_smiley_evil:

No! Beauty eh?! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I like it! You got me thinking, I’m going to check some grounds on my truck sometime soon.

No! Beauty eh?! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I like it! You got me thinking, I’m going to check some grounds on my truck sometime soon.

Just FYI, an electronic engineer would quake in his sandals if he saw my grounding system. You really shouldn't have multiple ground paths, but I do with the ground straps from the fenders to the cab and from the engine to the cab. That can cause currents in the grounds called "circulating currents".

You can read up on it in this dicussion on What Is A Circulating Current? It mainly bothers sensitive electronics, like data collection systems, which I used to manage. But I doubt it'll cause problems with Big Blue. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And here's the plan, graphically:

Power_Wiring.thumb.jpg.3021bde19d3d72656325b496b90201ae.jpg

Just FYI, an electronic engineer would quake in his sandals if he saw my grounding system. You really shouldn't have multiple ground paths, but I do with the ground straps from the fenders to the cab and from the engine to the cab. That can cause currents in the grounds called "circulating currents".

You can read up on it in this dicussion on What Is A Circulating Current? It mainly bothers sensitive electronics, like data collection systems, which I used to manage. But I doubt it'll cause problems with Big Blue. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And here's the plan, graphically:

I have always thought that you are well grounded, Gary! :nabble_anim_claps:

I have always thought that you are well grounded, Gary! :nabble_anim_claps:

As Dad would have said..... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Or, thinking of it another way, people have said I'd be tall if I didn't have so much turned under. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Wow! It has been two days since I posted on here and this thread was on the second page. Things are hopping on the forum!

Anyway, very little is happening directly to Big Blue. I'm cleaning the shop so I have room to work and a place to put the headers. And the cleaning is ...... badly needed and taking time.

But, the package from Scotty came in today. :nabble_anim_jump:

So, what are your questions? I'm sure you have some. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dizzy_Carb_Adaptor_Plugs_Wires_from_Scotty.thumb.jpg.e6fb03838a72569bf1ab559c946c7a8a.jpg

Wow! It has been two days since I posted on here and this thread was on the second page. Things are hopping on the forum!

Anyway, very little is happening directly to Big Blue. I'm cleaning the shop so I have room to work and a place to put the headers. And the cleaning is ...... badly needed and taking time.

But, the package from Scotty came in today. :nabble_anim_jump:

So, what are your questions? I'm sure you have some. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Odds and ends plus cleaning the shop today. (The shop isn't "clean", but it is adequate to have brought the headers in.) Tomorrow starts the installation of the headers.

Back on Jan 25th I installed the engine and found that it dropped the front 1", from 43" at the top of the wheel opening to 42". But that was still 1" higher than the rear.

Since then I've installed the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and tranny. Plus two large batteries, the hydroboost unit, the master cylinder, etc. And today the front is level with the rear @ 41" off the floor. But I still have the exhaust, t-case, driveshafts, radiator & coolant, and bumper and winch. Wonder how much more the front will come down? And, I wonder if I'll need the heavier springs.

Also, I put the EFI/carb adapter on the lower plenum and sat the 750 Eddy on it. But I had to turn the banjo fuel inlet fitting around as it hits the plenum if pointed forward. You can see where it is in this pic, which brings up which fuel system to use. The later system comes up over the transmission and the back of the engine while the '85 system comes all the way up under the aux battery and from there up to the carb. If I use the later system I should be able to put the return-style regulator on the firewall and connect to the later supply and return lines with the factory fittings, and then go right into the carb.

Thoughts?

Eddy_Carb_Sitting_On_EFI_Adaptor.thumb.jpg.1f0bca48754ac4facf6ba4c6080322d4.jpg

Last, I did some testing to see what different windshield trim would look like. What'cha think?

Black_Windshield_Trim_Test.thumb.jpg.23929d202e14e9dc013f7f37768ae8b2.jpg

Odds and ends plus cleaning the shop today. (The shop isn't "clean", but it is adequate to have brought the headers in.) Tomorrow starts the installation of the headers.

Back on Jan 25th I installed the engine and found that it dropped the front 1", from 43" at the top of the wheel opening to 42". But that was still 1" higher than the rear.

Since then I've installed the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and tranny. Plus two large batteries, the hydroboost unit, the master cylinder, etc. And today the front is level with the rear @ 41" off the floor. But I still have the exhaust, t-case, driveshafts, radiator & coolant, and bumper and winch. Wonder how much more the front will come down? And, I wonder if I'll need the heavier springs.

Also, I put the EFI/carb adapter on the lower plenum and sat the 750 Eddy on it. But I had to turn the banjo fuel inlet fitting around as it hits the plenum if pointed forward. You can see where it is in this pic, which brings up which fuel system to use. The later system comes up over the transmission and the back of the engine while the '85 system comes all the way up under the aux battery and from there up to the carb. If I use the later system I should be able to put the return-style regulator on the firewall and connect to the later supply and return lines with the factory fittings, and then go right into the carb.

Thoughts?

Last, I did some testing to see what different windshield trim would look like. What'cha think?

Didn't expect to but I like the black and light blue combo. Would need to see it with everything else on the truck as a whole though to be sure.

Didn't expect to but I like the black and light blue combo. Would need to see it with everything else on the truck as a whole though to be sure.

Yes, I'm still not sure. But it was laying on the work table, so I put them in place, though not "on", to see how they'd look.

May do the headlight doors and grille in black. We shall see what it looks like - when the time comes.