Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Didn't get much done on the truck today, but I did get to Zoom with my grandkids. :nabble_anim_jump:

Anyway, I did drill and tap the frame and frame liner. Man, that is a pain to do 'cause you can't get to it very easily. And, because it is so thick. There must be 3/8" of metal in there.

And, I crimped a new connector on the #2 cable and installed it. I'm quite confident that the aux battery is now well and truly grounded to the frame - especially given the serrated nut on the bottom of that bolt. And, with the anti-seize it won't be rusting any time soon.

And yes, I used a G8 3/8-16 bolt. My reasoning was that if I'm going to drill a hole in the top flange of the frame I want it to contribute to the strength. So it is torqued down tightly and the serrated nut is tight as well, thereby clamping the liner a bit tighter to the frame.

Another "didn't get much done on the truck" day, but I did get the fender-to-cab grounds on.

As you can see, I used the fender mounting bolts and the hood hinge mounting bolts to do that. But, it wasn't quite that simple. The bolts were rusty, so I media blasted them so I'd have clean metal. Then I "painted" everything but the head and top of the washer with aluminum-based anti-seize.

On the fenders I marked where the terminal would hit and took that area down to bare, shiny metal with the Dremel, and then painted that with anti-seize.

But the hood hinge was clean so I didn't bother it. However, it wasn't actually the target. Instead, the welded-on nuts inside of the cab were the target. And to ensure they were clean I ran a tap through them.

And once everything was together I cleaned the tops of the washers and the bolt heads and painted them.

So, with all that and #4 wires on both sides I think the fenders are well and truly bonded to the cab.

PS_Fender_To_Cab_4_Ground.thumb.jpg.54b03b48ed555fc2a9add6f74ddaa7a8.jpg

And, while I was at it I replaced the following monstrosity that was holding the fender to the cab on the driver's side. Apparently :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: couldn't find the sheetmetal nut on the arm extending out from the cab, so used that arrangement. I noticed the edge of the nut showing when I pulled the nut/bolt/washer combo off, so pulled the other bolt, pried up on the fender, and slid the sheetmetal nut into position. Then I found the right bolt/washer combo used that. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Odd_Nut__Bolt_Holding_DS_Fender_On.thumb.jpg.5b09b16db4fc3dae4c8ff9073e8e8c80.jpg

Another "didn't get much done on the truck" day, but I did get the fender-to-cab grounds on.

As you can see, I used the fender mounting bolts and the hood hinge mounting bolts to do that. But, it wasn't quite that simple. The bolts were rusty, so I media blasted them so I'd have clean metal. Then I "painted" everything but the head and top of the washer with aluminum-based anti-seize.

On the fenders I marked where the terminal would hit and took that area down to bare, shiny metal with the Dremel, and then painted that with anti-seize.

But the hood hinge was clean so I didn't bother it. However, it wasn't actually the target. Instead, the welded-on nuts inside of the cab were the target. And to ensure they were clean I ran a tap through them.

And once everything was together I cleaned the tops of the washers and the bolt heads and painted them.

So, with all that and #4 wires on both sides I think the fenders are well and truly bonded to the cab.

And, while I was at it I replaced the following monstrosity that was holding the fender to the cab on the driver's side. Apparently :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: couldn't find the sheetmetal nut on the arm extending out from the cab, so used that arrangement. I noticed the edge of the nut showing when I pulled the nut/bolt/washer combo off, so pulled the other bolt, pried up on the fender, and slid the sheetmetal nut into position. Then I found the right bolt/washer combo used that. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Another didn't get anything done on the truck today....

But at least the wind and rain have blown by.

The tree frogs are very amorous with all this fresh water for them.

Their peeping is amazingly loud.

Sometimes I think that :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: couldn't find his 🐟 with both hands..

Another didn't get anything done on the truck today....

But at least the wind and rain have blown by.

The tree frogs are very amorous with all this fresh water for them.

Their peeping is amazingly loud.

Sometimes I think that :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: couldn't find his 🐟 with both hands..

I've noticed the birds being loud here these days. I think it may have something to do with so little background noise.

As for :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, the thing today was just so bizarre! The nut was there. I could see it. All it took was 5 minutes to loosen the other bolt, pry a bit, and slide it over. But no, he had to leave it to the front and clamp down with another bolt, which bent the tab on the fender over that nut. It's ok as it went back fairly well when I clamped down with the bolt and washer, but it was just the sheer stupidity of it. :nabble_smiley_argh:

I probably ought to make a list, which would include: wiring around the inertia switch and oil pressure switch awa the resistance wire to the fuel pump; hacking up the crossmember; hacking up the radiator support; putting the fluid on top of the liner in the clutch master; the bolt today on the fender; having only 3 of 6 bolts in the driver's side perch; etc. I could probably go on and on. Maybe I don't want to remember. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm thinking I'm really going to enjoy driving this truck when I get it together, and there's a faint glow at the end of the tunnel.

I've noticed the birds being loud here these days. I think it may have something to do with so little background noise.

As for :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, the thing today was just so bizarre! The nut was there. I could see it. All it took was 5 minutes to loosen the other bolt, pry a bit, and slide it over. But no, he had to leave it to the front and clamp down with another bolt, which bent the tab on the fender over that nut. It's ok as it went back fairly well when I clamped down with the bolt and washer, but it was just the sheer stupidity of it. :nabble_smiley_argh:

I probably ought to make a list, which would include: wiring around the inertia switch and oil pressure switch awa the resistance wire to the fuel pump; hacking up the crossmember; hacking up the radiator support; putting the fluid on top of the liner in the clutch master; the bolt today on the fender; having only 3 of 6 bolts in the driver's side perch; etc. I could probably go on and on. Maybe I don't want to remember. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm thinking I'm really going to enjoy driving this truck when I get it together, and there's a faint glow at the end of the tunnel.

As long as it's not Henry Flagler driving the train.

Train? And, why not let Henry drive? What the deal with him and trains? Standard Oil I understand, but not trains.

Henry Flagler is 99% responsible for populating south Florida.

He pushed his railway all the way to the Keys.

Miami and that whole area wouldn't exist without him.

Neither would Flagler Beach, or Flagler County.

Gary, are you sure you never worked for NASA?

No, but I did work in the electric utility industry and was involved, briefly, in building a nuclear power plant. Does that count? :nabble_smiley_wink:

So, you think my grounds are OTT? (The Brits get it - Over The Top.) Or is it the prep? Or both?

Anyway, at this point all I have left to do with the electrical system is to put the ground strap from the engine to the firewall, although there's not much need for that given those fender/cab grounds. But I'll see where it might go and get it on today. And then test the clutch switch and call the electrical system good.

Then it is on to the headers. But, before doing that I need to clean off the work table. And put some tools away. And generally CLEAN! :nabble_smiley_cry:

I really like those stainless steel standoffs.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n56565/PS_Fender_To_Cab_%234_Ground.jpg

So your ground strap (not the fender one) goes from one end of the hood hinge to the other? Maybe I missed it but is that factory? I am thinking I've only ever seen them from the cab sheet metal to the hood sheet metal.