Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n55977/Main_Battery_In_Place_with_Mocked_Up_Hold_Down.jpg

Any concern with using the studs instead of the post terminals? I heard once that you shouldn't hook a winch to the stud terminals, that they can't handle the heat from that much current. I have no idea if that's true, all I'm saying is that I heard it once, and I'm wondering what you or others have heard.

I hadn't heard that, and I've had the winch hooked that way since I got it. So I don't think that is true. But all I know is what I've experienced.

I hadn't heard that, and I've had the winch hooked that way since I got it. So I don't think that is true. But all I know is what I've experienced.

Ok, here's a before and after. The hold-down fits the battery perfectly and it comes right down against the nut holding the j-bolt to the bracket from the radiator support. To me it is "perfect", although there are some glitches. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Jim, I don't have any 1/4-28 wing nuts, so I'll have to get some. But for now it has nyloc nuts on it.

Main_Battery_In_Place_with_Mocked_Up_Hold_Down.thumb.jpg.4ed69718d2002edce6a3ad07d1309559.jpgMain_Battery_Hold_Down_-_1.thumb.jpg.8543f1aa9596f9c762fa74d407655cf0.jpg

And then I worked on the auxiliary battery. As said, the regular j-bolt slots are offset, but there was enough meat in the ear in front to put the bolt dead-center on the battery. And the strap that goes from the battery carrier to the coolant reservoir is plenty strong so I drilled it to take the other j-bolt. However, it is 1/4-20 instead of 1/4-28, so I'm going to cut the "J" off it, thread that end and secure the 1/4-20 end to the bracket with two nuts. That way all the nuts on top will be 1/4-28.

Here's how that came out, and tomorrow I'll make another, smaller, hold-down for the aux battery.

Aux_Battery_J-Bolts_Mocked_Up.thumb.jpg.b2bfb7699f7f4eb3107306852184f68a.jpg

And, I don't think I showed pics of the bracket I made to hold the coolant reservoir. Here are a couple of pics after I rounded the corners on it. In the not too distant future I'll gather all the bits up that need coating and media blast and then PC them. That will include this bracket, the hold-downs, the j-hooks, etc.

Coolant_Reservoir_Bracket_-_2.thumb.jpg.a1e8c75951baa5c0017878efbb76b75d.jpgCoolant_Reservoir_Bracket_-_1.thumb.jpg.c07e4b64d46f674af1e7a913ca3170ef.jpg

Ok, here's a before and after. The hold-down fits the battery perfectly and it comes right down against the nut holding the j-bolt to the bracket from the radiator support. To me it is "perfect", although there are some glitches. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Jim, I don't have any 1/4-28 wing nuts, so I'll have to get some. But for now it has nyloc nuts on it.

And then I worked on the auxiliary battery. As said, the regular j-bolt slots are offset, but there was enough meat in the ear in front to put the bolt dead-center on the battery. And the strap that goes from the battery carrier to the coolant reservoir is plenty strong so I drilled it to take the other j-bolt. However, it is 1/4-20 instead of 1/4-28, so I'm going to cut the "J" off it, thread that end and secure the 1/4-20 end to the bracket with two nuts. That way all the nuts on top will be 1/4-28.

Here's how that came out, and tomorrow I'll make another, smaller, hold-down for the aux battery.

And, I don't think I showed pics of the bracket I made to hold the coolant reservoir. Here are a couple of pics after I rounded the corners on it. In the not too distant future I'll gather all the bits up that need coating and media blast and then PC them. That will include this bracket, the hold-downs, the j-hooks, etc.

Progress is good! 👍

You're making headway Gary!

Nice work Gary! Looks good!

Thanks, guys! :nabble_smiley_happy:

The devil is in the details, and the battery hold-downs have been "wrong" for a long time. So when I got to that point I just had to fix them to my satisfaction.

And swapping the main battery around was the only way to go once I realized how close the positive post was to the hood. However, that threw a bit of a kink in the plans because it required me to use the #2 wire I had to make new ground wires for that side. I was going to use it to make a ground wire to go from the aux battery to the block, so I'm going to have to come back at some point and add that cable since I'm out of wire now.

When that happens I'll have both batteries tied to the block via #2 cables, and both fenders tied to the batteries via #4 cables. The radiator support is tied on both ends to the fenders via #10 wires, which ought to be adequate since only the headlights are grounded to it. So now I need to add grounds from the fenders to the cab awa the standard ground from the engine to the cab.

But the later trucks had the cab grounded via additional ground straps. Were they from the frame to the cab around the cab mount bolts? Does anyone have pictures of how or where those grounds ran? And is there a need for them if I add the grounds from the fenders to the cab awa the engine/cab ground?

The devil is in the details, and the battery hold-downs have been "wrong" for a long time. So when I got to that point I just had to fix them to my satisfaction.

And swapping the main battery around was the only way to go once I realized how close the positive post was to the hood. However, that threw a bit of a kink in the plans because it required me to use the #2 wire I had to make new ground wires for that side. I was going to use it to make a ground wire to go from the aux battery to the block, so I'm going to have to come back at some point and add that cable since I'm out of wire now.

When that happens I'll have both batteries tied to the block via #2 cables, and both fenders tied to the batteries via #4 cables. The radiator support is tied on both ends to the fenders via #10 wires, which ought to be adequate since only the headlights are grounded to it. So now I need to add grounds from the fenders to the cab awa the standard ground from the engine to the cab.

But the later trucks had the cab grounded via additional ground straps. Were they from the frame to the cab around the cab mount bolts? Does anyone have pictures of how or where those grounds ran? And is there a need for them if I add the grounds from the fenders to the cab awa the engine/cab ground?

That hold down looks excellent. Definitely doesn't look like plain old c-channel anymore. Well done!

IMG_20200409_050744.thumb.jpg.5c908663da84ac50b1c84d9b0a45876a.jpg

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: Ya think I might have been working around that darn braided strap the past couple of days???

Let me go get a pic....

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: Ya think I might have been working around that darn braided strap the past couple of days???

Let me go get a pic....

Jim - Thanks a bunch. So, it just clips onto the frame? Then does it go to the through bolt on the mount? If so, then there's a mate inside the cab?

That doesn't seem very secure if I have that correct. I think my idea of bonding the fenders to the cab under the hood is more likely to work reliably for a longer period.

Scott - Thanks. That's the look I had in my mind's eye, so was anxious to see how it would work out. It worked out perfectly and, at least to me, doesn't say "chunk of c-channel".

I really enjoy making things with the lathe and/or mill. And, for that matter, using the welder. So the time it has taken to make the coolant reservoir bracket as well as the battery hold-downs has been fun.

Jim - Thanks a bunch. So, it just clips onto the frame? Then does it go to the through bolt on the mount? If so, then there's a mate inside the cab?

That doesn't seem very secure if I have that correct. I think my idea of bonding the fenders to the cab under the hood is more likely to work reliably for a longer period.

Scott - Thanks. That's the look I had in my mind's eye, so was anxious to see how it would work out. It worked out perfectly and, at least to me, doesn't say "chunk of c-channel".

I really enjoy making things with the lathe and/or mill. And, for that matter, using the welder. So the time it has taken to make the coolant reservoir bracket as well as the battery hold-downs has been fun.

Got the other battery hold-down made and installed, and then connected the battery cables. Basically, the electrical system is DONE! :nabble_anim_jump:

Main_Battery_Installed.thumb.jpg.81dca610a65c154fd2577c53b4a0978e.jpgAuxiliary_Battery_Installed.thumb.jpg.689321d61a86260d1e5400c87b43c72c.jpg

I still have to pull those parts, as well as the power steering/air conditioning compressor bracket, off and powder coat them, but I want to wait a bit to see what else needs to be powder coated so I can do it all in one go. And, because the transfer case is sitting in the powder coating booth - in the way.

So, here's my plan, after cleaning up the shop enough to have some place to put things as I work on them:

• Order carb adapter and send dizzy in to Scotty

• Headers: This will be delicate as I do NOT want to chip them. So I'll have to pad everything.

• Transfer Case: Once the headers are on the transfer case can go on

• Drive Shafts: The rear shaft should bolt right on, but I need to rebuild the front shaft

• Oil pressure switch & fittings: I need to add the tree at the back of the engine and connect up the wiring, pressure line, etc.

• Ignition system: I gave my DS-II box to someone at the show, so I need to put one back and hook the connectors up.

• Fuel System: I need to re-install the old fuel tank with pump & sender, or put in the FDM. I need to make a decision on that.

• Brakes: Add fluid and bleed them

• Steering: Connect up the power steering/hydroboost lines

• About now the carb adapter should come in and I can add the adapter and carb

• Cooling System: Install the radiator & hoses.

• Dizzy: When the dizzy comes in I can install it, new plugs, and wires.

• Fire It Up!

Got the other battery hold-down made and installed, and then connected the battery cables. Basically, the electrical system is DONE! :nabble_anim_jump:

I still have to pull those parts, as well as the power steering/air conditioning compressor bracket, off and powder coat them, but I want to wait a bit to see what else needs to be powder coated so I can do it all in one go. And, because the transfer case is sitting in the powder coating booth - in the way.

So, here's my plan, after cleaning up the shop enough to have some place to put things as I work on them:

• Order carb adapter and send dizzy in to Scotty

• Headers: This will be delicate as I do NOT want to chip them. So I'll have to pad everything.

• Transfer Case: Once the headers are on the transfer case can go on

• Drive Shafts: The rear shaft should bolt right on, but I need to rebuild the front shaft

• Oil pressure switch & fittings: I need to add the tree at the back of the engine and connect up the wiring, pressure line, etc.

• Ignition system: I gave my DS-II box to someone at the show, so I need to put one back and hook the connectors up.

• Fuel System: I need to re-install the old fuel tank with pump & sender, or put in the FDM. I need to make a decision on that.

• Brakes: Add fluid and bleed them

• Steering: Connect up the power steering/hydroboost lines

• About now the carb adapter should come in and I can add the adapter and carb

• Cooling System: Install the radiator & hoses.

• Dizzy: When the dizzy comes in I can install it, new plugs, and wires.

• Fire It Up!

That's some real nice work there Gary!:nabble_smiley_good: