Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks. Yes, that's 16A236, the Bullnose battery tray support. But I'd also have to have the Bullnose battery tray itself since mine is hopelessly rusted away. And then I'd have to modify the new tray by taking the ears off so it won't hit the upper/later tray. Then it should be powder coated or its going to deteriorate and look like the one I have.

If I'm buying new I'd be better off buying the 1987 and later brace (E7TZ 10769-A or the replacement, F4TZ 10769-A) and hope that it fits the Bullnose frame or radiator support, whichever it attaches to. The illustration appears to show it with holes that are likely to go to the radiator support. But, will it attach to a Bullnose radiator support?

With the unknowns I think I'd better wait until I can get out and go with Bruno to the salvage as we'd planned before the lock-down hit. There I'd hope to not only pull the later brace but also a decent Bullnose battery tray and brace. Who knows, I may need to go back to that setup. :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks. Yes, that's 16A236, the Bullnose battery tray support. But I'd also have to have the Bullnose battery tray itself since mine is hopelessly rusted away. And then I'd have to modify the new tray by taking the ears off so it won't hit the upper/later tray. Then it should be powder coated or its going to deteriorate and look like the one I have.

If I'm buying new I'd be better off buying the 1987 and later brace (E7TZ 10769-A or the replacement, F4TZ 10769-A) and hope that it fits the Bullnose frame or radiator support, whichever it attaches to. The illustration appears to show it with holes that are likely to go to the radiator support. But, will it attach to a Bullnose radiator support?

With the unknowns I think I'd better wait until I can get out and go with Bruno to the salvage as we'd planned before the lock-down hit. There I'd hope to not only pull the later brace but also a decent Bullnose battery tray and brace. Who knows, I may need to go back to that setup. :nabble_anim_confused:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-96-Ford-Truck-F-150-250-Bronco-Battery-tray-brackets-5-Mounting-bolt/362886437535?hash=item547db79a9f:g:3L4AAOSw6GJeIzgT

Yes, it bolts to the same holes on the radiator support as the 80-86 support does. No need for any modifications. The 80-86 version is inferior, never consider going back to it unless you're building a show truck.

Yes, it bolts to the same holes on the radiator support as the 80-86 support does. No need for any modifications. The 80-86 version is inferior, never consider going back to it unless you're building a show truck.

Ok, guys, I'll buy the one David found! But, ebay's server is down. So, I'll get it ASAP. Thank you!

Looks like it's coming from sweet home Alabama. That's where Florida man's cousin is from.

I remember watching a movie, but unfortunately can't remember which one. And I mostly remember a line from it, but I can't remember for sure which way the two states were aligned. So with that convoluted introduction...

The two main characters in the movie were sort of misfits. One of them called the other "Mississippi" once (or was it "Alabama"?). Anyway, the other guy asks why he called him that. The first guy says "Mississippi's (or or was it Alabama's?) only purpose in life is so Alabama (or was it Mississippi?) doesn't have to be the worst.

Anyway, it would be funny if I could tell it.

Looks like it's coming from sweet home Alabama. That's where Florida man's cousin is from.

Oh no! I just bought it before seeing this! :nabble_smiley_oh:

Seriously though, this will be a great solution to the issue.

Now for today's efforts. I got ready to bolt the core support in and pulled out the bushings that were in it - the ones shown on the right, below. Then I went to our page (Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Body Mounts) and looked at that, but what I had didn't make any sense. So I went to the LMC catalog. Still no dice. Finally I turned to the FSM and in Section 47-30 I found what I was looking for - the way it goes together awa the torque values.

(And, having vowed I'd not look stuff up in the FSM w/o scanning that section in for all y'all, I scanned this one and more in. But that's for another thread.)

Turns out that when :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: put this thing together he used more pieces than he was supposed to use. What is supposed to go in is as shown on the left, with the two pieces sandwiching the bracket on the frame and the core support sitting on top of it, with shims below and a spacer, washer, and nut above.

Core_Support_Bushings.thumb.jpg.85a45bf8053676e0734974e70dd074e3.jpg

Here's what it is supposed to look like, and I now have new upper and lower absorbers installed. But that rubber hex on the upper absorber wasn't enough to torque one of the bolts in, so I had to resort to one of those rubber strap wrenches to get it tight.

Now I need to figure out how to align the core support and the fenders properly. Do you know?

Core_Support_Illustration.thumb.jpg.b28b078502c659548f96f915b1ee79b9.jpg

So, why couldn't I put those back and sandwich the fender liner 'tween the old and the new? I'll surely have to cut the ears off the old one where it pokes through the fender liner so the j-rods can grab it.

Thoughts?

I think the 5/16 (8mm?) head bolt that tightens the hold down wedge at the front of the Bricknose tray is going to hit anything underneath.

But, you're a belt AND suspenders kinda guy.

So, why couldn't I put those back and sandwich the fender liner 'tween the old and the new? I'll surely have to cut the ears off the old one where it pokes through the fender liner so the j-rods can grab it.

Thoughts?

I think the 5/16 (8mm?) head bolt that tightens the hold down wedge at the front of the Bricknose tray is going to hit anything underneath.

But, you're a belt AND suspenders kinda guy.

Yes, but I've moved on from that approach. Now a new Bricknose tray and brace is on their way here, due in on Tuesday.