Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Looking great!

Will definitely want that brace. Don't have a late model one to look at but does the 80-86 one that came with BB fit or are they too different?

For the side marker light wiring - are you planning to eventually do the DRL-1 module addition from Daniel Stern? If so you'll be cutting that wiring anyways so I'd throw in a connector of your choosing on there and you'll be ahead of the game :nabble_smiley_happy:

The 1986 battery is different from the 1987-1996/7 those carry a group 65 battery, 1986 carries a group 56 battery.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 1986 battery is different from the 1987-1996/7 those carry a group 65 battery, 1986 carries a group 56 battery.

Took another look at the photo and realized just how different the trays are so the 80-86 wouldn't work without some cutting and adding an angled piece to it. Scratch that.

Took another look at the photo and realized just how different the trays are so the 80-86 wouldn't work without some cutting and adding an angled piece to it. Scratch that.

Battery dimensions are below, from Jegs:

L W H

56: 10 x 6 1/16 x 8 3/8

65: 12 1/16 x 7 1/2 x 7 9/16

According to that I should be ok with the later battery tray and my big battery. Will have to look tomorrow to see how to brace it. Should be able to figure something robust out. :nabble_smiley_evil:

L W H

According to that I should be ok with the later battery tray and my big battery. Will have to look tomorrow to see how to brace it. Should be able to figure something robust out. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I was wondering why you hadn't installed the brace along with the batter tray.

I definitely suggest making your own as finding a rust free brace isn't necessarily the easiest thing to do and would add an extra trip to the junkyard that isn't really necessary. Let me know if you need any measurements/pictures from the one in my truck.

L W H

The group 65 is one of the biggest, the old 27F may have been a little bigger, that was what my 1971 Colony Park took. Parts store told me they were no longer available (lied) and sold me a 24F, 15-20 mins loading the car and it wouldn't crank, 2 dome lights, 4 under armrest door lights and a cargo light in the back pulled that little battery down where it couldn't even turn the 429 over.

L W H

I've got a group 65 in my truck Gary.

After messing with my tiny PDB, i think the wires are fine there

If you need some pictures of the Brick battery box (as stock) please just LMK.

I've got a group 65 in my truck Gary.

After messing with my tiny PDB, i think the wires are fine there

If you need some pictures of the Brick battery box (as stock) please just LMK.

Shaun - I don't know what I was thinking. It needs support.

Bill - These big engines need big batteries, even with the PMGR starters. So I certainly want to go back with the monster I have.

Jim - Thanks for the offer to grab a pic, but I think I've had an epiphany. The old battery tray is rusty but was working. It bolts to fender where the later one does, comes up under the fender liner, and also bolt to 16A236 - Reinforcement Assy (Front Fender Apron To Radiator Support).

So, why couldn't I put those back and sandwich the fender liner 'tween the old and the new? I'll surely have to cut the ears off the old one where it pokes through the fender liner so the j-rods can grab it, but that's no biggee.

Thoughts?

Old_Battery_Tray_Parts.thumb.jpg.1ee0e4a3b809fcbacb627945770f410f.jpg

Shaun - I don't know what I was thinking. It needs support.

Bill - These big engines need big batteries, even with the PMGR starters. So I certainly want to go back with the monster I have.

Jim - Thanks for the offer to grab a pic, but I think I've had an epiphany. The old battery tray is rusty but was working. It bolts to fender where the later one does, comes up under the fender liner, and also bolt to 16A236 - Reinforcement Assy (Front Fender Apron To Radiator Support).

So, why couldn't I put those back and sandwich the fender liner 'tween the old and the new? I'll surely have to cut the ears off the old one where it pokes through the fender liner so the j-rods can grab it, but that's no biggee.

Thoughts?

I have 65's in all my trucks also. They are a little too wide to sit perfectly flat for the 80-86 but work.

Yours is smaller than those, right? The odyssey, right?

Personally, I wouldn't mess with making something work when it's a common part.

I have 65's in all my trucks also. They are a little too wide to sit perfectly flat for the 80-86 but work.

Yours is smaller than those, right? The odyssey, right?

Personally, I wouldn't mess with making something work when it's a common part.

Scott - You may be thinking of the aux battery, that is smaller. The main battery is:

L W H

Mine: 13 x 6 3/4 x 8 1/2

So it'll be interesting how it fits. :nabble_smiley_oh:

As for not reinventing the wheel, I think you are right. I went looking for spare battery trays and braces and found none. But, I did find this! :nabble_anim_jump:

Correct_Transmission_Cover_In_Place.thumb.jpg.019e393747560071863c89c143b15ad9.jpg

So I took a look at the battery tray and brace that came off of Big Blue. :nabble_smiley_cry: Looks like a trip to the salvage is on tap, at some point, whichever way I go, and I may as well get the brace that goes with the later battery tray.

Here's a shot of the two pieces off Big Blue where you can see how bad they are, and then them sorta in their natural habitat. However, in that pic the Bullnose battery tray would come up under the fender liner, which is probably why they rusted out so badly since water and mud would be trapped there. And the brace would come up a bit and bolt to the radiator support on the left and through the fender liner to the battery tray on the right. But obviously that's not happening with these pieces.

Old_Battery_Tray__Brace_-_Rusted_Out.thumb.jpg.20fa4588ad2366a6361ceb53a4046f1f.jpgBattery_Tray__Brace_-_Sorta.thumb.jpg.e6fdebf041a76ac243b781f21c088cc6.jpg

Scott - You may be thinking of the aux battery, that is smaller. The main battery is:

L W H

Mine: 13 x 6 3/4 x 8 1/2

So it'll be interesting how it fits. :nabble_smiley_oh:

As for not reinventing the wheel, I think you are right. I went looking for spare battery trays and braces and found none. But, I did find this! :nabble_anim_jump:

So I took a look at the battery tray and brace that came off of Big Blue. :nabble_smiley_cry: Looks like a trip to the salvage is on tap, at some point, whichever way I go, and I may as well get the brace that goes with the later battery tray.

Here's a shot of the two pieces off Big Blue where you can see how bad they are, and then them sorta in their natural habitat. However, in that pic the Bullnose battery tray would come up under the fender liner, which is probably why they rusted out so badly since water and mud would be trapped there. And the brace would come up a bit and bolt to the radiator support on the left and through the fender liner to the battery tray on the right. But obviously that's not happening with these pieces.

Hmmm?

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Battery-Tray-Support-Bracket-80-86/productinfo/38020B/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLAs-$50_orless&utm_term=TRI%20PLUS&utm_content=BroncoGraveyard&msclkid=66aa612d1c88150eeddb3f568f2c48c0