Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

The Subie has had connection problems with the headlights since not too long after it was new. I initially re-bent the connectors and used the grease and that held for a while. But a few years ago I replaced the sockets with the Dorman over-the-counter ones, the ones with pig-tails and boots. And they are now giving problems.

So I ordered ceramic ones from Daniel Stern. Total was $26.25 inc shipping. And in the course of that email conversation he sent new guidance on lighting that I hope to use to replace what I put in the Lighting Upgrades thread over 2 years ago. I've asked him if he's ok with that, and if he is I'll share it. (I'm thinking that may need to be a page in Documentation/Electrical/Lighting rather than in a thread where there are replies that make it difficult/improper to change out the text. Thoughts?)

As for what lighting upgrades to do for Big Blue, my thinking is that I'm going to hold off spending that money right now. I don't need any headlights with the truck on the lift, and I'm spooked by what is happening in the stock market. So I'll wait and see, and can always put the stock headlights back in when I get ready to drive the truck.

Ok, Scott asked that I post pics when the ceramic sockets come in. But, do you really think I wouldn't???? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

As for my communications with Daniel Stern today, I'd said that given the state of the stock market I'm not ready to spend $150 on new headlight shells and bulbs. To which he said:

If you don't want to spend money on lights right now, and just need cheap and passably decent lights for the moment, the only sealed beams worth using are these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H2DLMA/?tag=2402507-20 This would be a much smarter move than putting in off-brand/cheapo H4s.

Ping me again in a few months and I'll probably have the good Koito H4s available. :-)

So, my plan as of this 10 seconds in time is to carry on with the transformation w/o buying any headlights. It'll probably be quite some time before I need to install lights, and if I get there before I'm ready to spend any money I have the headlights that came out of Big Blue. But, probably by then the Koito's will be available.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, Scott asked that I post pics when the ceramic sockets come in. But, do you really think I wouldn't???? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:As for my communications with Daniel Stern today, I'd said that given the state of the stock market I'm not ready to spend $150 on new headlight shells and bulbs. To which he said:
If you don't want to spend money on lights right now, and just need cheap and passably decent lights for the moment, the only sealed beams worth using are these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H2DLMA/?tag=2402507-20 This would be a much smarter move than putting in off-brand/cheapo H4s.Ping me again in a few months and I'll probably have the good Koito H4s available. :-)
So, my plan as of this 10 seconds in time is to carry on with the transformation w/o buying any headlights. It'll probably be quite some time before I need to install lights, and if I get there before I'm ready to spend any money I have the headlights that came out of Big Blue. But, probably by then the Koito's will be available.:nabble_smiley_wink:
I've just updated the schematic for the smaller Key=On fuse, so I'm going to embed the PDB schematic here. That way as I update it this particular post will always be correct. But I have a question for y'all: Should I go back to the other posts where I've included the schematic and replace them with this "evergreen" version? I would hate it if someone used the wrong one as the wiring is evolving and getting closer to "correct".

An advantage of doing it this way is that you/the reader can download a copy or zoom in to see detail.

Thoughts?

I've just updated the schematic for the smaller Key=On fuse, so I'm going to embed the PDB schematic here. That way as I update it this particular post will always be correct. But I have a question for y'all: Should I go back to the other posts where I've included the schematic and replace them with this "evergreen" version? I would hate it if someone used the wrong one as the wiring is evolving and getting closer to "correct".

An advantage of doing it this way is that you/the reader can download a copy or zoom in to see detail.

Thoughts?

Got more wiring on the PDB done today. Still have four wires left to go, but should get them done tomorrow and then move on to testing.A few things to point out. First, note the temp wire ties. Jim suggested the velcro ones, but I have the ones shown as a gift from our son, so thought I'd use them and they work perfectly.Second, the bundle coming up from the lower right, and which has the blue wrap on it, is long enough that it will go around the back side of the vacuum reservoir instead of running diagonally across the fender the way Ford did it. I've always thought that looks ..... poor.Last, the two wires not in that bundle yet are for the marker lights and the right turn signal. I'll have to lengthen them to get enough length to join the others, but I really want to clean that area up.PDB__Temp_Wire_Ties.thumb.jpg.9710457b756cf22333c04890eb6696cd.jpg

Got more wiring on the PDB done today. Still have four wires left to go, but should get them done tomorrow and then move on to testing.

A few things to point out. First, note the temp wire ties. Jim suggested the velcro ones, but I have the ones shown as a gift from our son, so thought I'd use them and they work perfectly.

Second, the bundle coming up from the lower right, and which has the blue wrap on it, is long enough that it will go around the back side of the vacuum reservoir instead of running diagonally across the fender the way Ford did it. I've always thought that looks ..... poor.

Last, the two wires not in that bundle yet are for the marker lights and the right turn signal. I'll have to lengthen them to get enough length to join the others, but I really want to clean that area up.

Those are a neat idea on the wire ties, especially as a temp holder to get the wires laid out.

On your earlier question about updating the posts - eh, I think it is entirely up to you if you want to spend the time doing it. Forums are littered with wip and evolving ideas that in a lot of cases, updating earlier posts with the final version would cause a lot of confusion since the discussion would no longer fit the post. Simple example - me suggesting to change the fuse to X wouldn't make any sense to readers if the diagram shows X now.

Got more wiring on the PDB done today. Still have four wires left to go, but should get them done tomorrow and then move on to testing.

A few things to point out. First, note the temp wire ties. Jim suggested the velcro ones, but I have the ones shown as a gift from our son, so thought I'd use them and they work perfectly.

Second, the bundle coming up from the lower right, and which has the blue wrap on it, is long enough that it will go around the back side of the vacuum reservoir instead of running diagonally across the fender the way Ford did it. I've always thought that looks ..... poor.

Last, the two wires not in that bundle yet are for the marker lights and the right turn signal. I'll have to lengthen them to get enough length to join the others, but I really want to clean that area up.

You sure love onions, don't you Gary?

Those little wraps are handy.

Your son must know you pretty well! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

You sure love onions, don't you Gary?

Those little wraps are handy.

Your son must know you pretty well! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Jim - Yes, I love onions. Or, maybe better said, I love peeling onions. Because the Bloomin' Onion at the end is so good! (My stomach is revolting at the thought of all that grease. :nabble_smiley_scared:)

Yes, my son knows me. He didn't call this evening on his way home from work 'cause he worked from home, but I planned to tell him how well they worked out. And I'm glad you suggested doing it that way.

Scott - You have a very valid point about the earlier diagrams and comments thereunto. I think I'll leave them. Having said that, having the one I posted today being "correct" has an advantage for me. I have that old iPad laying on a stool by the truck and it is open to that diagram. So now if I spot an error, as I did today when it showed a 10a fuse instead of the 3a I put in today, I can change it on the computer at the desk, go back out and refresh and it'll be updated.

Jim - Yes, I love onions. Or, maybe better said, I love peeling onions. Because the Bloomin' Onion at the end is so good! (My stomach is revolting at the thought of all that grease. :nabble_smiley_scared:)Yes, my son knows me. He didn't call this evening on his way home from work 'cause he worked from home, but I planned to tell him how well they worked out. And I'm glad you suggested doing it that way.Scott - You have a very valid point about the earlier diagrams and comments thereunto. I think I'll leave them. Having said that, having the one I posted today being "correct" has an advantage for me. I have that old iPad laying on a stool by the truck and it is open to that diagram. So now if I spot an error, as I did today when it showed a 10a fuse instead of the 3a I put in today, I can change it on the computer at the desk, go back out and refresh and it'll be updated.

I got most of the wiring for the PDB done, save for the headlight wires as I don't appear to have the right gauge wire, and thought I'd see what happened if I powered it up. But I basically had two choices - my lab power supply which is limited to 1 amp, and the huge starting battery.

To be on the safe side I chose the power supply, and sure enough it said "No way, Jose!". So I started pulling fuses. And when I pulled the one to Circuit 38 things went to normal - 14v and no current. Hmmm, is the headlight switch on? Oh wait! There's no knob in the switch, and the way you get it to come out is to pull it to On!

Found the knob, and the one for the wipers, and installed them and turned them off. Turned the supply back on and it went to 14v but 750ma. Hmmmm... Wait! The doors are open! :nabble_smiley_happy:

It_Lives!.thumb.jpg.ebfb1dbff6a700b9a7fcba20439a81a4.jpg

I got most of the wiring for the PDB done, save for the headlight wires as I don't appear to have the right gauge wire, and thought I'd see what happened if I powered it up. But I basically had two choices - my lab power supply which is limited to 1 amp, and the huge starting battery.

To be on the safe side I chose the power supply, and sure enough it said "No way, Jose!". So I started pulling fuses. And when I pulled the one to Circuit 38 things went to normal - 14v and no current. Hmmm, is the headlight switch on? Oh wait! There's no knob in the switch, and the way you get it to come out is to pull it to On!

Found the knob, and the one for the wipers, and installed them and turned them off. Turned the supply back on and it went to 14v but 750ma. Hmmmm... Wait! The doors are open! :nabble_smiley_happy:

Fantastic! I like the visual! :nabble_anim_claps:

A single LED festoon bulb is pulling that much? :nabble_anim_confused: