Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Deoxit is made for stuff like that connector.

Don't have any Deoxit. But as it is a connector, if my efforts don't work I can pull it apart and Deoxit. And I'll know quickly - if the alternator doesn't charge or the voltmeter doesn't work I'll check the connector.

On another note, we got word today that our daughter, SiL, and grandtwins are headed back from Nicaragua to Tulsa. The embassies are pulling all non-essential personnel out of foreign countries, and the non-profit our SiL works for follows their lead.

Why do I say that here? Because in about two weeks I'm going to have better things to do than to play truck. So, I'm going to be pushing to get this thing to a stopping point. I'm thinking that getting the electrical system as "done" as I can get it is a good stopping point. And to do that I need to:

• Finish the PDB wiring

• Install the radiator support

• Wire up the headlights, which means I need to order in the sockets

• Run the large yellow wire between the PDB and the driver's side, which means I have to figure out where to put the smart battery isolator

• Wire up the trailering wire on the driver's side

So, I have work to do! But tomorrow we have friends coming over, so not much will get done - if anything. Perhaps I can get the headlight connectors ordered. Any suggestions? (I sent Daniel Stern a note today to see what he has, but he's not yet responded. May just go with the Dorman ones.)

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't have any Deoxit. But as it is a connector, if my efforts don't work I can pull it apart and Deoxit. And I'll know quickly - if the alternator doesn't charge or the voltmeter doesn't work I'll check the connector.

On another note, we got word today that our daughter, SiL, and grandtwins are headed back from Nicaragua to Tulsa. The embassies are pulling all non-essential personnel out of foreign countries, and the non-profit our SiL works for follows their lead.

Why do I say that here? Because in about two weeks I'm going to have better things to do than to play truck. So, I'm going to be pushing to get this thing to a stopping point. I'm thinking that getting the electrical system as "done" as I can get it is a good stopping point. And to do that I need to:

• Finish the PDB wiring

• Install the radiator support

• Wire up the headlights, which means I need to order in the sockets

• Run the large yellow wire between the PDB and the driver's side, which means I have to figure out where to put the smart battery isolator

• Wire up the trailering wire on the driver's side

So, I have work to do! But tomorrow we have friends coming over, so not much will get done - if anything. Perhaps I can get the headlight connectors ordered. Any suggestions? (I sent Daniel Stern a note today to see what he has, but he's not yet responded. May just go with the Dorman ones.)

Of the Wet Bandits, Daniel Stern? :nabble_smiley_happy:

I wouldn't think twice about using the Dorman brand of those. Can't believe there would be any brand difference in a socket like that.

I mounted my solenoid where factory did (and the junction was). It's nice and out of the way but that also means it take a few extra feet of cable vs if it was mounted on the core support or somewhere closer to a battery.

Of the Wet Bandits, Daniel Stern? :nabble_smiley_happy:

I wouldn't think twice about using the Dorman brand of those. Can't believe there would be any brand difference in a socket like that.

I mounted my solenoid where factory did (and the junction was). It's nice and out of the way but that also means it take a few extra feet of cable vs if it was mounted on the core support or somewhere closer to a battery.

Did not realize who that guy was. Had to look it up. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

No, Daniel Stern of Daniel Stern Lighting. I have a pair of Dorman sockets on the '01 Subaru, and while they are better than the ones that came on the Subie, I just had to wiggle the low beam to get it going again. Daniel has ceramic sockets, which is what I want to use.

By "solenoid" do you mean the Cole Hersee smart battery isolator? My only question is where on the driver's fender liner to mount it right now. Hopefully it can be at the aux battery and the big yellow wire will terminate on it. But, I just haven't scoped that out yet.

Did not realize who that guy was. Had to look it up. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

No, Daniel Stern of Daniel Stern Lighting. I have a pair of Dorman sockets on the '01 Subaru, and while they are better than the ones that came on the Subie, I just had to wiggle the low beam to get it going again. Daniel has ceramic sockets, which is what I want to use.

By "solenoid" do you mean the Cole Hersee smart battery isolator? My only question is where on the driver's fender liner to mount it right now. Hopefully it can be at the aux battery and the big yellow wire will terminate on it. But, I just haven't scoped that out yet.

I didn't realize they made ceramic ones. What is the benefit in them?

Yeah, the smart isolator. Granted I needed to put mine there since I am keeping the factory trailer wiring (for now...) and it only reached that location.

I didn't realize they made ceramic ones. What is the benefit in them?

Yeah, the smart isolator. Granted I needed to put mine there since I am keeping the factory trailer wiring (for now...) and it only reached that location.

The pins (sockets?) Don't get loose from heat of overwattage incandescent bulbs.

Use a 100W or greater bulb in a plastic socket and it will be a blob of goo.

The pins (sockets?) Don't get loose from heat of overwattage incandescent bulbs.

Use a 100W or greater bulb in a plastic socket and it will be a blob of goo.

The Subie has had connection problems with the headlights since not too long after it was new. I initially re-bent the connectors and used the grease and that held for a while. But a few years ago I replaced the sockets with the Dorman over-the-counter ones, the ones with pig-tails and boots. And they are now giving problems.

So I ordered ceramic ones from Daniel Stern. Total was $26.25 inc shipping. And in the course of that email conversation he sent new guidance on lighting that I hope to use to replace what I put in the Lighting Upgrades thread over 2 years ago. I've asked him if he's ok with that, and if he is I'll share it. (I'm thinking that may need to be a page in Documentation/Electrical/Lighting rather than in a thread where there are replies that make it difficult/improper to change out the text. Thoughts?)

As for what lighting upgrades to do for Big Blue, my thinking is that I'm going to hold off spending that money right now. I don't need any headlights with the truck on the lift, and I'm spooked by what is happening in the stock market. So I'll wait and see, and can always put the stock headlights back in when I get ready to drive the truck.