Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Do you want my #2, no pun intended, red ring? Is it smaller than yours? Maybe it would fit down in your bearing retainer? It sure looks like it'll be a good seal.

Appreciate that - sounds like a great parking lot mini-project for the end of September :nabble_smiley_wink:

Seam sealer sounds like a great fit for that purpose.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you want my #2, no pun intended, red ring? Is it smaller than yours? Maybe it would fit down in your bearing retainer? It sure looks like it'll be a good seal.

Appreciate that - sounds like a great parking lot mini-project for the end of September :nabble_smiley_wink:

Seam sealer sounds like a great fit for that purpose.

Yes, it could be a mini-project. Pull the intermediate shaft, pull the 3 screws, and wiggle the retainer out.

Can Campbell help? :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, on the seam sealer, the struggle will be to keep it off of everything else as I stab the steering column in. The problem is that rat's nest of wires that are intended to go below the steering column and aren't long enough to go above. I either need to tape it together or put convolute over it , at least while installing the column since right now it goes everywhere. Or, maybe I should lengthen and re-route the wires like they should have been done originally?

But, I did find the clutch start switch connector and pulled the jumper that was in it and connected it to the start switch. So now it shouldn't start in gear.

However, the question about where the other wires go was finally answered - not through the pedal box. I'm pretty sure of that since they aren't long enough to make that happen. So, I've loosened the pedal box and am trying to snake the wires out. However, it looks like I'll have to pull the brake master and let the front of the box drop in order to get the wires out.

Must remember that two steps forward and one back is still progress. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Yes, it could be a mini-project. Pull the intermediate shaft, pull the 3 screws, and wiggle the retainer out.

Can Campbell help? :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, on the seam sealer, the struggle will be to keep it off of everything else as I stab the steering column in. The problem is that rat's nest of wires that are intended to go below the steering column and aren't long enough to go above. I either need to tape it together or put convolute over it , at least while installing the column since right now it goes everywhere. Or, maybe I should lengthen and re-route the wires like they should have been done originally?

But, I did find the clutch start switch connector and pulled the jumper that was in it and connected it to the start switch. So now it shouldn't start in gear.

However, the question about where the other wires go was finally answered - not through the pedal box. I'm pretty sure of that since they aren't long enough to make that happen. So, I've loosened the pedal box and am trying to snake the wires out. However, it looks like I'll have to pull the brake master and let the front of the box drop in order to get the wires out.

Must remember that two steps forward and one back is still progress. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I am sure she will be there this year again to lend a hand :nabble_smiley_good:

What about applying a bead of the sealer on the inside of the firewall instead of on the column? Or really even applying it from the engine side and working it in would work also.

I have some photos of how the wiring went in that area before the tear down on my truck and could take some now but not sure if they are what you need as it sounds like yours are quite a bit different? Mine are all above but yours are intended to go below? Sorry, I don't think I am up to speed with all your wiring changes.

What about applying a bead of the sealer on the inside of the firewall instead of on the column? Or really even applying it from the engine side and working it in would work also.

I have some photos of how the wiring went in that area before the tear down on my truck and could take some now but not sure if they are what you need as it sounds like yours are quite a bit different? Mine are all above but yours are intended to go below? Sorry, I don't think I am up to speed with all your wiring changes.

When I pulled the pedal assembly from the parts truck in the junkyard, I remember the wiring for the ignition switch and turn signals being intertwined in the pedal assembly. I could not remove the pedal assembly without unplugging those connections, which tells me those wires went through the pedal assembly.

Scott - Glad to see she'll be here. Tell her the roller coaster will be out. And bring the whole family, please.

As for the wiring, pictures would be helpful. We are going into Tulsa tomorrow so I won't get to it until Friday.

And I like the idea of a bead of seam sealer on the firewall, inside, that will go through with the boot.

Shaun - I was remembering that as well, but it isn't working.

I'm not making any wiring change in that area at the moment, so this is stock wiring. I'm confused. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Scott - Glad to see she'll be here. Tell her the roller coaster will be out. And bring the whole family, please.

As for the wiring, pictures would be helpful. We are going into Tulsa tomorrow so I won't get to it until Friday.

And I like the idea of a bead of seam sealer on the firewall, inside, that will go through with the boot.

Shaun - I was remembering that as well, but it isn't working.

I'm not making any wiring change in that area at the moment, so this is stock wiring. I'm confused. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Just got home so going to look for some videos/photos. Did take a quick under the dash video but it's not the greatest.

The large conduit covered section of wire that comes from the left goes over bracket (up near the bottom of the cowl) and comes down through the hole in the top. From here the ignition circuit hooks up on the top of the column along with some other connectors like the turn signal. It then goes under the bracket on the right side and continues on. From the right side the cruise control vacuum hose comes in through the hole on the right side, makes an upside down U and hooks into the dump valve.

This was on the automatic but I looked at the 85 manual and it was the same.

What is the conduit covered long length of wire going horizontal beneath the whole assembly in your photo? I don't recognize it.

Just got home so going to look for some videos/photos. Did take a quick under the dash video but it's not the greatest.

The large conduit covered section of wire that comes from the left goes over bracket (up near the bottom of the cowl) and comes down through the hole in the top. From here the ignition circuit hooks up on the top of the column along with some other connectors like the turn signal. It then goes under the bracket on the right side and continues on. From the right side the cruise control vacuum hose comes in through the hole on the right side, makes an upside down U and hooks into the dump valve.

This was on the automatic but I looked at the 85 manual and it was the same.

What is the conduit covered long length of wire going horizontal beneath the whole assembly in your photo? I don't recognize it.

Scott - Thanks. What you described in text as well as showed on the video is how I remember it. So I have something wrong with the earlier part of that large section of wiring, like maybe it is caught on something, as it won't come through the hole far enough.

That's enough for me to go on, and it helps a bunch as it means I probably don't need to pull the pedal bracket off. I have it loose so it drops down a bit, but it is still attached to the brake booster and to the dash loosely. That lets me move it around to get clearance for the wires so I can move them.

As said, we are headed into T-town tomorrow and I'll not be back on this until Friday, but hopefully can get it all connected up and the steering column installed then.

Scott - Thanks. What you described in text as well as showed on the video is how I remember it. So I have something wrong with the earlier part of that large section of wiring, like maybe it is caught on something, as it won't come through the hole far enough.

That's enough for me to go on, and it helps a bunch as it means I probably don't need to pull the pedal bracket off. I have it loose so it drops down a bit, but it is still attached to the brake booster and to the dash loosely. That lets me move it around to get clearance for the wires so I can move them.

As said, we are headed into T-town tomorrow and I'll not be back on this until Friday, but hopefully can get it all connected up and the steering column installed then.

Glad that helped and that it won't require much disassembly to get back on track. It being caught on something makes sense.

Enjoy your trip!

Glad that helped and that it won't require much disassembly to get back on track. It being caught on something makes sense.

Enjoy your trip!

Guys - As I'm sitting in Barnes & Noble thinking about things I've come to a conclusion I want to bounce off of you. And that conclusion is that I want to break Big Blue's Transformation into two phases:

• Phase 1: New carbureted 460, ZF5, D60 SAS, yada, yada, yada

• Phase 2: EFI for the engine, upgraded fuel system, etc

The reasoning for this is to get Big Blue back on the road and to enjoy him a bit before launching into the next phase, which will be over the next winter.

I think the downside is that there are a few things I'll do that will have to be undone, like installation of the seat and carpet - which may have to come out if I put the ECU under the seat. And the aux battery, which may have to be relocated when the EFI goes in due to all the things that will be lined up along the driver's fender. And, I'll have to buy a carb adapter for the EFI lower plenum. But, for the most part I don't think there will be all that much re-work.

What are your thoughts? What am I missing that might be big gotchas?