Bullnose Forum

Big Blue's Transformation

1: The clearance - is it adequate?

2: The gussets - can I use the ones that are in w/o drilling new holes?

Both seem good to me

What is the clearance between the transfer case and the floor of Big Blue? That ZF5 crossmember sits lower than any other crossmember for a reason. I know the E4OD brought you some issues with the floor on Dad's truck.

What is the clearance between the transfer case and the floor of Big Blue? That ZF5 crossmember sits lower than any other crossmember for a reason. I know the E4OD brought you some issues with the floor on Dad's truck.

Bob - Thanks. I agree, and I've now drilled the hole out on the driver's side bottom and installed/tightened all the fasteners. It is now truly IN.

Shaun - I can just get the palm of my hand between the t-case and the cab. So I'd say there's about an inch there. Lots more than on Dad's truck.

On a slightly different topic, I had to stretch the F350's front driveshaft to get it to fit into the yokes. Turns out the boot was what was pulling it back in. So I cut the band off and that allowed it to slide in and out nicely. And the splines look very good.

There were about 2" of splines sticking out with the suspension drooped, but I need to check to see that there are still splines engaged if the axle drops the other 2". And, I need to see that the splines don't bottom at full compression.

If all that checks out I need to order in the u-joints and rebuild the shaft.

Bob - Thanks. I agree, and I've now drilled the hole out on the driver's side bottom and installed/tightened all the fasteners. It is now truly IN.

Shaun - I can just get the palm of my hand between the t-case and the cab. So I'd say there's about an inch there. Lots more than on Dad's truck.

On a slightly different topic, I had to stretch the F350's front driveshaft to get it to fit into the yokes. Turns out the boot was what was pulling it back in. So I cut the band off and that allowed it to slide in and out nicely. And the splines look very good.

There were about 2" of splines sticking out with the suspension drooped, but I need to check to see that there are still splines engaged if the axle drops the other 2". And, I need to see that the splines don't bottom at full compression.

:nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_smiley_good: :nabble_smiley_good:

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, Jim, it sure is! Thanks.

I've been following along and while I don't have anything to contribute to the project, I can say that you are doing great work. Your projects have inspired me to get started here a while back sorting things out on my truck that had been over due for correcting. Taking a break on my truck right now for better weather as I have the mechanical and safety related issues taken care of. I don't care for laying in the driveway in the wet and cold. It would not be so bad if I could at least get it in the car port, it's closed in on three sides.

I've been following along and while I don't have anything to contribute to the project, I can say that you are doing great work. Your projects have inspired me to get started here a while back sorting things out on my truck that had been over due for correcting. Taking a break on my truck right now for better weather as I have the mechanical and safety related issues taken care of. I don't care for laying in the driveway in the wet and cold. It would not be so bad if I could at least get it in the car port, it's closed in on three sides.

Thanks, Frank. I'm glad it is helping to inspire you. That is one of the many advantages to the forum - seeing what others are doing inspires us to get going ourselves.

Thanks, Frank. I'm glad it is helping to inspire you. That is one of the many advantages to the forum - seeing what others are doing inspires us to get going ourselves.

Plus seeing how others are doing things often results in ideas on how to do some things differently. For example cleaning up the wiring by installing a PDC box under the hood for the fuses and relays of added on accessorys.

Plus seeing how others are doing things often results in ideas on how to do some things differently. For example cleaning up the wiring by installing a PDC box under the hood for the fuses and relays of added on accessorys.

I still have to get on this.

Maybe while I'm down in Swarthmore helping my sister convalese, I'll put the time in.