Bullnose Forum

Big Blue's Transformation

I think you’ve confirmed my thinking - it is messed UP! Sure glad my brain kicked in and I questioned things. 😳....
So my '97 service manual has the same text and same picture (that shows how to connect the hydraulic hose :nabble_anim_confused:). But not the same torque specs. Mine says 16-30 lb-ft.But it does still say the slide pins go through the caliper and spindle. But they don't. In fact a couple pages earlier it says the caliper assembly is bolted to an anchor bracket which is bolted to the front wheel spindle. But there's no way the anchor bracket could be bolted to the spindle either. It's actually bolted to the knuckle (and the axle section of the service manual agrees with my nomenclature. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the 2WD knuckle and spindle are one part (they aren't on a 4WD) and they are sloppy with the nomenclature in the brake section (and have no pictures to clarify).And it's the anchor bracket to knuckle bolts that I needed the 3' bar on. They are to be torqued to 141 - 190 lb-ft!I did scan the three pages of the service manual that talk about this. They're .pdfs so I'll try to attach them here.Scan0001.pdfScan0002.pdfScan0003.pdf
It is good to know that they fixed the "85-100 lb-ft" spec in later years. But, as it turns out, there were two mistakes in the '95 FSM. It says the brake hose block is supposed to be tightened to 10 - 15 lb-ft, and I tightened it to 15 but it didn't feel tight. Yours says 22-30 lb-ft, so I need to go back and tighten them up.

Anyway, I ran my pdf program against your scans, optimizing/straightenin/OCR'ing them and then merged them into one file. Here 'tis so we can easily get back to it: (Thanks!)

It is good to know that they fixed the "85-100 lb-ft" spec in later years. But, as it turns out, there were two mistakes in the '95 FSM. It says the brake hose block is supposed to be tightened to 10 - 15 lb-ft, and I tightened it to 15 but it didn't feel tight. Yours says 22-30 lb-ft, so I need to go back and tighten them up.

Anyway, I ran my pdf program against your scans, optimizing/straightenin/OCR'ing them and then merged them into one file. Here 'tis so we can easily get back to it: (Thanks!)

Well, I had a good day. Torqued the banjo bolts on the front brake lines to 25 lb-ft, and then installed an engine. :nabble_smiley_wink:And, by the way, the top of the front wheel opening is now 42" off the floor. IOW, that beast of an engine only dropped it exactly 1". So it is possible that the rest of the kit will drop it another inch and the front and back will be level - before I pull leafs out of the rear.Anyway, installing the engine wasn't nearly as easy as it sounds. I know I've said before that my shop crane and my engine stands do not play nicely with each other. But today underscored that, big time. That's 'cause I started out attaching the crane to the engine the wrong way, like shown below using my load balancer. And the balancer hit the hood long before the engine got into place.Engine_Wouldn_t_Go_In.thumb.jpg.715845bb1bd970bf0806f2bb1b14562a.jpgSo back on the stand the engine had to go to remove the balancer and rearrange the chains. But boy, was there a battle with the stand. I'll spare you the details, but I had to lift the crane's legs with the floor jack, set the casters on 2x4's, and pick up the stand and twist it to get it below the crane's legs. :nabble_smiley_cry:But, that approach looked like this finally, and the engine went in. Things to note are the ratchet strap to keep the engine from twisting sideways and the floor jack under the axle to get clearance for the crane's legs.Engine_Going_In_II.thumb.jpg.c1de6fc2210c827221b909433c69d272.jpgAnd, here 'tis after getting the crane and jack out of the way - in and the nuts on the mounts are torqued down. (Note the coffee can.)Engine_IN.thumb.jpg.5617d610ed40ed93a2e55e2f002cecd7.jpgSo, why the coffee can? I was finding brake fluid on the fender apron and tracked it down to this rascal. Note that the back side is wet - the brake fluid was leaking out around that crimp. Anyone want a free brake pressure switch? (Was it significant that the radio was playing "Light My Fire" as I took these two pics? Seriously it was, although it wasn't the long album version, nor even the short version, by Jim & the boys, but was instead by Jose The Fleece. :nabble_smiley_evil:)Brake_Pressure_Switch.thumb.jpg.6559efef4ed1ef81492df3122c3f1508.jpgBrake_Pressure_Switch_Leaks.thumb.jpg.79605af99a28609862810588fefae932.jpg

Well, I had a good day. Torqued the banjo bolts on the front brake lines to 25 lb-ft, and then installed an engine. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, by the way, the top of the front wheel opening is now 42" off the floor. IOW, that beast of an engine only dropped it exactly 1". So it is possible that the rest of the kit will drop it another inch and the front and back will be level - before I pull leafs out of the rear.

Anyway, installing the engine wasn't nearly as easy as it sounds. I know I've said before that my shop crane and my engine stands do not play nicely with each other. But today underscored that, big time. That's 'cause I started out attaching the crane to the engine the wrong way, like shown below using my load balancer. And the balancer hit the hood long before the engine got into place.

So back on the stand the engine had to go to remove the balancer and rearrange the chains. But boy, was there a battle with the stand. I'll spare you the details, but I had to lift the crane's legs with the floor jack, set the casters on 2x4's, and pick up the stand and twist it to get it below the crane's legs. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, that approach looked like this finally, and the engine went in. Things to note are the ratchet strap to keep the engine from twisting sideways and the floor jack under the axle to get clearance for the crane's legs.

And, here 'tis after getting the crane and jack out of the way - in and the nuts on the mounts are torqued down. (Note the coffee can.)

So, why the coffee can? I was finding brake fluid on the fender apron and tracked it down to this rascal. Note that the back side is wet - the brake fluid was leaking out around that crimp. Anyone want a free brake pressure switch? (Was it significant that the radio was playing "Light My Fire" as I took these two pics? Seriously it was, although it wasn't the long album version, nor even the short version, by Jim & the boys, but was instead by Jose The Fleece. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

Just imagine if that switch had 12v constant going to it. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Glad you were able to get the engine installed. It's interesting that the truck only dropped an inch with the engine, but we'll see where it's at with the remaining few hundred pounds of accessories added on.

Just imagine if that switch had 12v constant going to it. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Glad you were able to get the engine installed. It's interesting that the truck only dropped an inch with the engine, but we'll see where it's at with the remaining few hundred pounds of accessories added on.

Yes, if that switch had power it could/would be bad.

I really thought the front would drop 2", so was surprised at just 1". I even rocked it back and forth and pushed down on the fenders checking to see if it would settle. Nope.

But, the bumper, winch, radiator and support, batteries, flywheel clutch, pressure plate, transmission, t-case, drive shaft, and exhaust surely add up to at least the weight of the engine, so surely it'll come down at least another inch. :nabble_anim_confused:

Well, I had a good day. Torqued the banjo bolts on the front brake lines to 25 lb-ft, and then installed an engine. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, by the way, the top of the front wheel opening is now 42" off the floor. IOW, that beast of an engine only dropped it exactly 1". So it is possible that the rest of the kit will drop it another inch and the front and back will be level - before I pull leafs out of the rear.

Anyway, installing the engine wasn't nearly as easy as it sounds. I know I've said before that my shop crane and my engine stands do not play nicely with each other. But today underscored that, big time. That's 'cause I started out attaching the crane to the engine the wrong way, like shown below using my load balancer. And the balancer hit the hood long before the engine got into place.

So back on the stand the engine had to go to remove the balancer and rearrange the chains. But boy, was there a battle with the stand. I'll spare you the details, but I had to lift the crane's legs with the floor jack, set the casters on 2x4's, and pick up the stand and twist it to get it below the crane's legs. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, that approach looked like this finally, and the engine went in. Things to note are the ratchet strap to keep the engine from twisting sideways and the floor jack under the axle to get clearance for the crane's legs.

And, here 'tis after getting the crane and jack out of the way - in and the nuts on the mounts are torqued down. (Note the coffee can.)

So, why the coffee can? I was finding brake fluid on the fender apron and tracked it down to this rascal. Note that the back side is wet - the brake fluid was leaking out around that crimp. Anyone want a free brake pressure switch? (Was it significant that the radio was playing "Light My Fire" as I took these two pics? Seriously it was, although it wasn't the long album version, nor even the short version, by Jim & the boys, but was instead by Jose The Fleece. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I warned you to change it. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Congrats on getting the motor in, it’s a GREAT feeling!

Thanks!

Yes, it is a great feeling, for sure. Now I can install the flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch & pressure plate, transmission, etc. All that stuff is to-hand and ready to go.

I'm ready for Big Blue to be Big Finished (for now) so we can get back to the pretty maroon one. :nabble_smiley_good: