Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

The Inline Tube hoses swivel at the top end, so there's no worry about clocking. (In fact, the swivel is loose enough I wonder how it can be sealed.)

As for greasing the ball joints, I've ordered this Lincoln fitting and will try it. But, one reason I bought it is that it appears to unscrew, so I can take it apart and machine the bottom of it flat.

Well, be careful.

The grease passage has to be it that other half, and I don't know that you'll have much you can mill off.

Well, be careful.

The grease passage has to be it that other half, and I don't know that you'll have much you can mill off.

Yes, it has to be in there, but I'm hoping I can just flatten it. However, that's one of the reasons I want to be able to take it apart - so I can see what's in there.

The Inline Tube hoses swivel at the top end, so there's no worry about clocking. (In fact, the swivel is loose enough I wonder how it can be sealed.)

As for greasing the ball joints, I've ordered this Lincoln fitting and will try it. But, one reason I bought it is that it appears to unscrew, so I can take it apart and machine the bottom of it flat.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n48682/41csrhB0UcL.jpg

I’ve used this type a lot and it works well.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n48682/41csrhB0UcL.jpg

I’ve used this type a lot and it works well.

Glad to see that it works well. Thanks. Now just to see if it'll go in there.

Bob - Thanks. I hope to get the brake hoses sorted tomorrow. And, I'm hoping I also have the braided rear hose, but I've forgotten.

As for the grease fitting, I'm thinking I'd be better off with these and use the needle:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n48677/41kg7ndIfAL.jpg

Jim already spoke to this. I've used that type of fitting before (on greaseable U-joints that have a grease fitting on each cap). You need a pretty good amount of room straight in front of them to get a straight needle lined up well enough to seal and get the grease into the fitting. I could imaging there might be an angled needle that could work, but I've never seen one. And given how difficult it can be to get a straight needle sealed up to the fitting I think an angled needle would be a lot harder. It looks like you're more onto your other option now. I've never seen anything like that, but it seems like a better path.

On the brake hoses, I forget if I've said this here before. But a friend of mine had a guy in his club blow a braided brake line. The theory on the failure mode was that sand had worked its way between the braiding and wore through the hose. My friend was very adamant after that about never using braided brake line. I don't think a lot of it is ever DOT approved. That said I have braided brake lines on my Bronco, but there's a clear plastic sheath over the braiding, so nothing to hold sand grains to let them start working through. And my lines are DOT approved as I recall. Take that for what it's worth...

Glad to see that it works well. Thanks. Now just to see if it'll go in there.

Mid-day report. We are on Plan B for the brake hoses. I installed the Inline Tube hoses, when went easily save for the !@#$%^&* clips holding them to the brackets. I did learn to pull the brackets and install the hoses with the bracket in the vise.

And, along the way I found 3 of 4 of the caliper pins. They were in the coffee can with the other brakes parts off the front clip. And, while I'm glad I ordered new ones as these are a bit rusty, they did allow me to trial fit the left caliper.

Then I realized that the hoses weren't long enough. In the pic below the shock, which is the limiting link in the suspension travel, would let the axle drop 2" from where it currently is. But the hose wouldn't allow that.

Swivel_Hose_Is_Too_Short.thumb.jpg.c60a4c2eac7d343b9163c571f41665e9.jpg

So I went back to the attic to look through the hoses Vernon sent and I found another set of braided hoses, including the one for the rear axle. And while these don't look longer, they go on like the factory hoses and are effectively longer. So, Plan B is to install these. Here's one on the left front. VERNON ROCKS! :nabble_anim_jump:

New_Brake_Hose_Fits_Better.thumb.jpg.e90eaae31b5594ada4baa29006182994.jpg

Bob - Thanks. I hope to get the brake hoses sorted tomorrow. And, I'm hoping I also have the braided rear hose, but I've forgotten.

As for the grease fitting, I'm thinking I'd be better off with these and use the needle:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n48677/41kg7ndIfAL.jpg

Jim already spoke to this. I've used that type of fitting before (on greaseable U-joints that have a grease fitting on each cap). You need a pretty good amount of room straight in front of them to get a straight needle lined up well enough to seal and get the grease into the fitting. I could imaging there might be an angled needle that could work, but I've never seen one. And given how difficult it can be to get a straight needle sealed up to the fitting I think an angled needle would be a lot harder. It looks like you're more onto your other option now. I've never seen anything like that, but it seems like a better path.

On the brake hoses, I forget if I've said this here before. But a friend of mine had a guy in his club blow a braided brake line. The theory on the failure mode was that sand had worked its way between the braiding and wore through the hose. My friend was very adamant after that about never using braided brake line. I don't think a lot of it is ever DOT approved. That said I have braided brake lines on my Bronco, but there's a clear plastic sheath over the braiding, so nothing to hold sand grains to let them start working through. And my lines are DOT approved as I recall. Take that for what it's worth...

Bob - Ships in the night.

The hoses I have all have a clear plastic sheath on them and there's no place for sand or any other grit to get in. But I can see how that would be a problem.

On the grease fittings and connectors, I'm hoping the slide-on one will do the trick. We'll see in a day or two when it comes in. (I've forgotten when the many orders that are coming are scheduled in.)

UPS just told me there's one at your door. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg

I'd just gotten one delivery so was surprised that there was another. But, here's the first thing that greeted me upon opening the package: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

Shaun_s_Greeting.thumb.jpg.594d37954e097748412306e914c2f1df.jpg

Then I found this:

Shaun_s_Package_-_1.thumb.jpg.64f1817462025dd21194ee011ac237d1.jpg

Followed by this:

Shaun_s_Package_-_2.thumb.jpg.cae6e96b73d34d0520b1a7b176677da6.jpg

So, coupled with this stuff that I've collected lately the scanners will have a lot to do:

Gary_s_Haul_1.thumb.jpg.437c9f49e76240f806ff0b72097fc39b.jpg

But, I also found this along the way, and some of those pages are applicable to our trucks:

1986_Trim_-_1.thumb.jpg.651662f3b28b1a39b4da705cf3b7a27c.jpg1986_Trim_-_2.thumb.jpg.24a1994508016dc69663188754441d4c.jpg