Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Why?

You can't buy them through dealer channels?

You can't find the P/N and search on that?

Actually, I was just doing that and the part numbers are shown below: 10 each C8SZ 6065-B's and E7TZ 6065-B's. But piecing a set together by part number costs 10*($4.26+$7.83)=$121.09 + shipping at Ford Parts Giant. Or, you could pay 10*($31.90+$14.21)=$451.10 from Amazon. (Yep, that's what it says! :nabble_anim_crazy:)

At $121 I'd rather pay a bit more and have the ARP's. But I'm still looking .... :nabble_anim_working:

Head_Bolt_Part_Numbers.thumb.jpg.8276a43658094735300928590a167575.jpg

Why?

You can't buy them through dealer channels?

You can't find the P/N and search on that?

Actually, I was just doing that and the part numbers are shown below: 10 each C8SZ 6065-B's and E7TZ 6065-B's. But piecing a set together by part number costs 10*($4.26+$7.83)=$121.09 + shipping at Ford Parts Giant. Or, you could pay 10*($31.90+$14.21)=$451.10 from Amazon. (Yep, that's what it says! :nabble_anim_crazy:)

At $121 I'd rather pay a bit more and have the ARP's. But I'm still looking .... :nabble_anim_working:

Slip over to the 460Ford or Big Block Ford forums.... or ask Scott.

There is a alternative, somewhere, that you can trust.

Though I've never heard well founded complaints about ARP products! 💪

Slip over to the 460Ford or Big Block Ford forums.... or ask Scott.

There is a alternative, somewhere, that you can trust.

Though I've never heard well founded complaints about ARP products! 💪

I'm thinking I'll call Scott on Monday. Need to ask him what to put on the head gasket - if anything. The Fel Pro instructions aren't very helpful, saying something like "fiber faced gaskets should use a sealant, and metal faced shouldn't". What sealant? Copper Kote? Or?

So, I'll call and see if he sells the ARP's. Or, has another recommendation.

I'm thinking I'll call Scott on Monday. Need to ask him what to put on the head gasket - if anything. The Fel Pro instructions aren't very helpful, saying something like "fiber faced gaskets should use a sealant, and metal faced shouldn't". What sealant? Copper Kote? Or?

So, I'll call and see if he sells the ARP's. Or, has another recommendation.

Sent Scotty an email at 8:29 this morning, Sunday, and got a response back at 12:10. That's better than 99% of the businesses I've ever dealt with - on a weekday! And to get that kind of response on a Sunday is unheard of.

So, when he said he has a bolt kit that he'll drop ship I said "Do it, please!" We will find out what the bolts are and what the price is when he calls for the billing info, but I'll go out of my way to support someone with that kind of service.

And, by the way, he said he puts head gaskets on dry.

Sent Scotty an email at 8:29 this morning, Sunday, and got a response back at 12:10. That's better than 99% of the businesses I've ever dealt with - on a weekday! And to get that kind of response on a Sunday is unheard of.

So, when he said he has a bolt kit that he'll drop ship I said "Do it, please!" We will find out what the bolts are and what the price is when he calls for the billing info, but I'll go out of my way to support someone with that kind of service.

I've always told you, Scott is THE MAN! When it comes to 385's..

Gary, I have been putting my head gaskets on dry for years, ever since Fel-Pro released their "Permatorque" ones. The exception was the MG Midget 998 cc engine, it was real hard to keep a good seal at 11:1 compression on an engine designed in England for 8:1 compression. 9 head bolts in essentially an isosceles triangle (5 down the outside straddling the plug areas and 4 down the inside through the rocker stands). Cylinders are paired 1-2 and 3-4 with a wider space between 2-3 due to being a 3 main bearing block.

He had what were supposed to be high strength studs and nuts, no, they were the stock late 1950s British fine thread nuts and studs ARP studs and nuts helped immensely.

Never doubted you. But didn't realize the level of support he provides. Outstanding!

(And, btw, I sent him a link to my previous post. Just want him to know how much he's appreciated.)

Thank you for the shout out Gary.

Staying current on emails, social media messages, texts etc is a 7 day a week enterprise.

We try to be available with in reason.

Yes those head bolts are questionable. Especially true for a fresh build.

SJ

used 2b RHP

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Thank you for the shout out Gary.

Staying current on emails, social media messages, texts etc is a 7 day a week enterprise.

We try to be available with in reason.

Yes those head bolts are questionable. Especially true for a fresh build.

SJ

used 2b RHP

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Thanks, Scott. Given what I have in this truck (you can see the first post of this thread for more detail), new head bolts aren't that big of a deal. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Next question though, do you happen to have the EFI valve cover bolts, the 3" long flange-headed ones w/the nylon washer? If so, let's add them to the "order".

And, while I'm on a roll, what about stainless bolts for the water pump? I can get them from Totally Stainless, but if you have them.....

Thanks, Scott. Given what I have in this truck (you can see the first post of this thread for more detail), new head bolts aren't that big of a deal. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Next question though, do you happen to have the EFI valve cover bolts, the 3" long flange-headed ones w/the nylon washer? If so, let's add them to the "order".

And, while I'm on a roll, what about stainless bolts for the water pump? I can get them from Totally Stainless, but if you have them.....

To close the loop, I got an email from Scott that said "We bead blast and reuse the OEM VC bolts with copper washers when needed. They seal better than SS bolts." So I'm going to blast the bolts and powder coat them, and if in the two sets of bolts I have I don't have enough of the nylon washers I'll probably use copper ones.

Also, Scott said "I buy bulk hardware in SS for assembly." And then later "The 93+ HD water pumps use 5" bolts in several places. I will have to look Monday. I have the list written down and posted in the assembly area." And I'm pretty sure he sent me the 93+ HD water pump. So I'll get the stainless water pump bolts from him, along with the head bolts and the locating dowels.

So today I plan to gather the many fasteners, and maybe some other parts, and start media blasting them. Oh yes, and I'll also blast the 2nd valve cover as I'd already done the first. Then I'll have to figure out what color to PC the valve covers, thermostat housing, and all the fasteners. Suggestions?