Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

It seems like most of the stores have a revolving door for the employees. I have know a lot of good managers who left the company for one reason or another.

The auto parts business is not what it was when I was growing up. I knew the people that worked in the local store and they were there for decades. But it is hard to compete with on-line ordering, whether from Amazon, or O'Reilly's.

Thanks again.

Bill/Jim - Are you talking about the new sealing approach in TSB 91-6-7? I don't see an illustration in it that explains to me how it works? Do you know of something that might? I'm not understanding how it works.

But would that be better than a speedi-sleeve?

Shaun - You may be right. Perhaps they stuffed that piece inside a seal in the hopes it would help.

No, I was referring to the newer seal, the 1994 up one, TSB 94-19-24. I will not take one of my new ones apart, but may be able to show how it works.

The auto parts business is not what it was when I was growing up. I knew the people that worked in the local store and they were there for decades. But it is hard to compete with on-line ordering, whether from Amazon, or O'Reilly's.

Thanks again.

I worked for Advance for a little over a year. They made a decision mid way through to start writing up associates that didn't make sales goals each month. Four write ups and you were terminated. I worked closing shift at a store that could only make about 20% of it's daily sales goals, and most of that was during the day, the store was dead at night. I let them write me up three times and then gave my two weeks notice in such time that my last day with the company was right before the fourth write up was to be handed out. I was covering shifts at four different stores in the county at the time and when each manager heard what was happening to me at my home store, they all started to look for jobs elsewhere because they knew they were next. Very sad corporate policy.

Gary, I was basically stating that I think the seal was on there for so long that it just came apart and that's why you have the extra piece, and why the spindle is destroyed. It takes a bit of time for a seal to get bad enough to dig a groove that deep. Seeing what yours looks like on such a clean axle makes me worried about what I'll find on my mistreated axle.

Bill/Jim - Are you talking about the new sealing approach in TSB 91-6-7? I don't see an illustration in it that explains to me how it works? Do you know of something that might? I'm not understanding how it works.

But would that be better than a speedi-sleeve?

Shaun - You may be right. Perhaps they stuffed that piece inside a seal in the hopes it would help.

Gary,

I can't speak for Bill, but I'm sure we are on the same page.

The Scotseal Plus from SKF/Chicago Rawhide is similar to a bearing in that it has an inner and outer 'race'.

The inner is rubbed, and gets glued (usually silicone) to the fixed axle housing stub, spindle, whatever...

Xtra Large sizes are common for OTR trucks and trailers because otherwise you'd be replacing trailer axles every year for inspection.

This is the first cross section I see in a Google search.

https://www.anythingtruck.com/commercial/images/170-ScotsealPlus_Main.jpg

Gary,

I can't speak for Bill, but I'm sure we are on the same page.

The Scotseal Plus from SKF/Chicago Rawhide is similar to a bearing in that it has an inner and outer 'race'.

The inner is rubbed, and gets glued (usually silicone) to the fixed axle housing stub, spindle, whatever...

Xtra Large sizes are common for OTR trucks and trailers because otherwise you'd be replacing trailer axles every year for inspection.

This is the first cross section I see in a Google search.

https://www.anythingtruck.com/commercial/images/170-ScotsealPlus_Main.jpg

Shaun - That's a horrible scenario. A nightmare. Glad you got out.

Jim - I think I understand. And I found another illustration that helped from this PDF. But it shows applications rather than sizes. And, I'm guessing those listed bearings are a bit bigger. For instance, the '95 Dana 60 takes a SET38 bearing, and some of those applications take a SET421. At least the number is bigger. :nabble_smiley_wink:

If the repair sleeves don't work I guess I can see if I can cross reference some of those bearing part numbers.

Scotseal_Plus.jpg.300f76a854edb1adc2a385a63c22a294.jpg

Jim - I think I understand. And I found another illustration that helped from this PDF. But it shows applications rather than sizes. And, I'm guessing those listed bearings are a bit bigger. For instance, the '95 Dana 60 takes a SET38 bearing, and some of those applications take a SET421. At least the number is bigger. :nabble_smiley_wink:

If the repair sleeves don't work I guess I can see if I can cross reference some of those bearing part numbers.

That is essentially how the Ford seal works, the inner is a rubber sleeve essentially that goes over the axle tube when the hub is installed. The outer is metal and is installed in the hub with a special driver, T93T-1175-AR that has a recess for the inner side of the seal. I will get some pictures later.

They're not bearings, they're oil/grease seals.

Yes there are better diagrams, but as I mentioned, I'm ha huge problems posting on the site today.

And PDF's open automatically on this temporary phone, so I can't c&p the URL.

They're not bearings, they're oil/grease seals.

Yes there are better diagrams, but as I mentioned, I'm ha huge problems posting on the site today.

And PDF's open automatically on this temporary phone, so I can't c&p the URL.

Jim - Sorry you are having trouble with the forum. I don't know what to suggest as I'm not having any problems, so don't know what the issue is.

Anyway, on the "bearing" idea, I was referring to the table on the Scotseal page that shows the bearing part numbers which each of the Scotseals go with. For instance Scotseal #35058 goes with Timken SET413. So I could look up the specs on SET413 to find the size of bore and shaft that 35058 fits - assuming I can't find a table somewhere of Scotseal sizes.

Scotseal_Plus.thumb.jpg.5965ebb7debf11f00f9f5ba716bbc534.jpg

Jim - Sorry you are having trouble with the forum. I don't know what to suggest as I'm not having any problems, so don't know what the issue is.

Anyway, on the "bearing" idea, I was referring to the table on the Scotseal page that shows the bearing part numbers which each of the Scotseals go with. For instance Scotseal #35058 goes with Timken SET413. So I could look up the specs on SET413 to find the size of bore and shaft that 35058 fits - assuming I can't find a table somewhere of Scotseal sizes.

Gary, I didn't look at the pdf.

I know that these work, and don't know if they are available in sizes to fit a D60.

But they *would be* the solution to all your problems, and probably outlast you.

Gary, I didn't look at the pdf.

I know that these work, and don't know if they are available in sizes to fit a D60.

But they *would be* the solution to all your problems, and probably outlast you.

Ok, as promised here are the pictures of the Motorcraft BRS-83 seal.

First, the oil side, this is the portion next to the slinger and bearing cone and rollers.

The inner part is stationary and goes over the axle tube, there is a bit of float to the pieces.

DSCN3685.thumb.jpg.c264f5daf1e11824f379b2d80aaaf9bd.jpg

Second the air side, the two portions of the metal shell are visible in the picture, when you pull the hub, the seal will separate at the joint as the inner sleeve will be stuck to the tube. The installer tool has a recess for the protruding inner portion of the shell.

DSCN3686.thumb.jpg.8d4bc6a4d9ea882c202f8686325fd53c.jpg

And finally, the box label with the PNs on it, for some reason the F didn't print.

DSCN3688.thumb.jpg.f8b63cbccf0279484d6df530900fb7cd.jpg