Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Right, but your post from 9:40 last night says "hub" in two places.

I wonder if they make a Scottseal for the front hubs, like the rear?

If it was glued to the spindle there would be no issue

Oh! My bad. Sorry, wrong terminology. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I don't know about Scottseals, but SKF makes the Speedi-sleeves. The chart below shows the available sizes, and 99275 is the one I think I need. The spindle :nabble_smiley_wink: measures 2.7512" to 2.7518, so I think that's the right one. Unfortunately that one is .781" wide and the spindle measures .700" before it starts tapering up. And the next smaller one at .406" is too narrow. So I may have to machine the back of the spindle slightly to get the speedi-sleeve to go on. Or, I may have to machine the speedi-sleeve off where it overhanges.

Seedi-Sleeves_II.jpg.e8248d1f6472880aade95e7851f0c0d4.jpg

NAPA has them for $54, and shows the pic on the left, below. But Amazon has the 99275 for $39.20, although it only has the pic on the right, so I doubt they sell many based on the pic 'cause that's only the installation tool. :nabble_smiley_uh:

And, while that seems expensive, Torque King appears to be the place to get new spindles as they are having them made, and they are $365/each. So I think I'll order the speedi-sleeves from Amazon - and hope I get more than the installation tool.

Any other suggestions?

NAPAs_Pic_of_Speedi-Sleeve.png.5e7ae602795b6ac95aec5f3e32f9f445.png71hoht3uVUL.thumb.jpg.9c7acd8b7af811f1f9e9e082f9a9326f.jpg

I don't know about Scottseals, but SKF makes the Speedi-sleeves. The chart below shows the available sizes, and 99275 is the one I think I need. The spindle :nabble_smiley_wink: measures 2.7512" to 2.7518, so I think that's the right one. Unfortunately that one is .781" wide and the spindle measures .700" before it starts tapering up. And the next smaller one at .406" is too narrow. So I may have to machine the back of the spindle slightly to get the speedi-sleeve to go on. Or, I may have to machine the speedi-sleeve off where it overhanges.

NAPA has them for $54, and shows the pic on the left, below. But Amazon has the 99275 for $39.20, although it only has the pic on the right, so I doubt they sell many based on the pic 'cause that's only the installation tool. :nabble_smiley_uh:

And, while that seems expensive, Torque King appears to be the place to get new spindles as they are having them made, and they are $365/each. So I think I'll order the speedi-sleeves from Amazon - and hope I get more than the installation tool.

Any other suggestions?

I would definitely try to take the difference off of the sleeve rather than the spindle.

Right, but your post from 9:40 last night says "hub" in two places.

I wonder if they make a Scottseal for the front hubs, like the rear?

If it was glued to the spindle there would be no issue

I was just wondering the same thing. I don't know about the Scottseal, but the Ford replacement seal for the rear full floating hub Motorcraft BRS83 is a real nice piece, the actual seal is internal to the casing so no wear on the axle tube at all.

I would definitely try to take the difference off of the sleeve rather than the spindle.

Good advice. :nabble_smiley_good:

I missed the pictures of the groove. Those are definitely not supposed to be there, and that tells me that either a junk or a pretty old seal was on there. That may explain the "extra" piece you found.

I was just wondering the same thing. I don't know about the Scottseal, but the Ford replacement seal for the rear full floating hub Motorcraft BRS83 is a real nice piece, the actual seal is internal to the casing so no wear on the axle tube at all.

Which is exactly my point Bill!

They press into the hub and glue on the spindle.

The only thing that keeps gear oil in my rear axle are those 'seal within a seal' updated parts.

And if you had them on the front, any groove would be a complete non-issue.

No trying to get the sleeve on straight.

No machining.

Install as usual and go.

Which is exactly my point Bill!

They press into the hub and glue on the spindle.

The only thing that keeps gear oil in my rear axle are those 'seal within a seal' updated parts.

And if you had them on the front, any groove would be a complete non-issue.

No trying to get the sleeve on straight.

No machining.

Install as usual and go.

Bill/Jim - Are you talking about the new sealing approach in TSB 91-6-7? I don't see an illustration in it that explains to me how it works? Do you know of something that might? I'm not understanding how it works.

But would that be better than a speedi-sleeve?

Shaun - You may be right. Perhaps they stuffed that piece inside a seal in the hopes it would help.

Any other suggestions?

Gary Oreillys has these for $26.99. Should have to you in two days. But can order on line if you wish.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/national-2929/agriculture-hd-parts---accessories-19818/agricultural---construction-20126/bearings--seals---u-joints-20130/agriculture-hd---bearings---sleeves-25241/aecec9464eeb/national-repair-sleeve/99275/2552693/1996/buick/lesabre?q=99275&pos=1

It won't do you any good, but tell them someone from corporate sent you.

Moose - Forgot you work in corporate. I ordered them from that link and they should be at the house on Friday. Thanks!

I used to be on a first name basis with all the people in our local store. But the manager left and is now the assistant manager at NAPA, and they've had a revolving door of replacements of managers and helpers. I got lost and don't know who's there now. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Moose - Forgot you work in corporate. I ordered them from that link and they should be at the house on Friday. Thanks!

I used to be on a first name basis with all the people in our local store. But the manager left and is now the assistant manager at NAPA, and they've had a revolving door of replacements of managers and helpers. I got lost and don't know who's there now. :nabble_smiley_cry:

It seems like most of the stores have a revolving door for the employees. I have know a lot of good managers who left the company for one reason or another.