Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I've been working on my list of stuff to order, like ball joints and wheel bearings. But I wanted to get something tangible done today so grabbed the engine perches and the 1/2" fastener assortment and started installing them. As it turned out I didn't have enough of the 1/2" x 1" G8 fasteners, so I put them in with what I had and will go back and replace them and torque things up when I get the right ones.

Here they are from below. Think the driver's side one has enough fasteners? :nabble_smiley_thinking: When I got the truck the driver's side only had two fasteners to the crossmember, and they weren't tight. And the ones to the frame were wonky. And they were small. All are being upgraded to 1/2" G8.

And here's a before and after. Can you figure out what changed? Which do you like better? :nabble_smiley_evil:

I've just ordered most of the parts for the wheel bearings and seals - all Timken. Specifically I have ordered #'s 2, 3, 4 13, 12, 7, & 8 from the drawing below.

However, I need two more parts I haven't been able to find, so need your help.

First is a seal saver/speedi-sleeve/repair sleeve, meaning the thin ring that you put on a hub to correct for a groove in the hub where the seal has rubbed. The hub diameter is 2.75", but I've not found a repair sleeve to fit.

Second, I need #14 in the diagram, the "grease retainer". But I haven't found it either. Help!

Front_Axle_Parts_Snag.thumb.jpg.d030b8790490e0f23269c25e00a03f47.jpg

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just ordered most of the parts for the wheel bearings and seals - all Timken. Specifically I have ordered #'s 2, 3, 4 13, 12, 7, & 8 from the drawing below.

First is a seal saver/speedi-sleeve/repair sleeve, meaning the thin ring that you put on a hub to correct for a groove in the hub where the seal has rubbed. The hub diameter is 2.75", but I've not found a repair sleeve to fit.

Second, I need #14 in the diagram, the "grease retainer". But I haven't found it either. Help!

#14 is just the normal inner wheel seal.

Not sure if you've looked through the Timken/National catalog but you may end up having to call their support hotline and see if they offer a custom application via supplied measurements.

Not sure if you've looked through the Timken/National catalog but you may end up having to call their support hotline and see if they offer a custom application via supplied measurements.

You are right, #14 is the seal. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig: But there's another part that I don't see in the illustration. Or maybe I'm tired. I'll get a pic tomorrow and lay all the parts out in the illustration's order.

I have the Timken catalog open, and it isn't showing it either.

Don't the seals press into the hub, and ride on the spindle?

I've been working on my list of stuff to order, like ball joints and wheel bearings. But I wanted to get something tangible done today so grabbed the engine perches and the 1/2" fastener assortment and started installing them. As it turned out I didn't have enough of the 1/2" x 1" G8 fasteners, so I put them in with what I had and will go back and replace them and torque things up when I get the right ones.

Here they are from below. Think the driver's side one has enough fasteners? :nabble_smiley_thinking: When I got the truck the driver's side only had two fasteners to the crossmember, and they weren't tight. And the ones to the frame were wonky. And they were small. All are being upgraded to 1/2" G8.

And here's a before and after. Can you figure out what changed? Which do you like better? :nabble_smiley_evil:

The black looks much better, Gary! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks, David! I know the red didn't hurt anything, except my eyes, but .... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ok, here's the extra piece I found that doesn't show in the illustration. I'm wondering if it is the guts from a seal, like the one shown on the left:

Mystery_Part_vs_Axle_Seal.thumb.jpg.561dc3b9f10099df62b10a3dfc36dc74.jpg

And here are a couple of shots of the spindle and its groove. Both spindles look like they have the exact same groove, so is there any possibility that it is factory? I've never seen that and can't think of a reason why they'd do that, but both measure 2.742" and the non-grooved surface measures 2.750". Surely it is just worn and needs a speedi-sleeve.

Hub_Showing_Groove.thumb.jpg.679c3f908e67a26fe4a844c137944202.jpgHub_Groove_Closeup.thumb.jpg.a78883878a78b5c464b76a12fd11a4d2.jpg

Don't the seals press into the hub, and ride on the spindle?

Yes, and there's a groove in both spindles where the seal has been riding. And that's why I want a speedi-sleeve.

Right, but your post from 9:40 last night says "hub" in two places.

I wonder if they make a Scottseal for the front hubs, like the rear?

If it was glued to the spindle there would be no issue