Bullnose Forum

Big Blue's Transformation

Jim - I don't know when I'm going to have time to shoot a good pic of one of the gels so you can find the font, but I certainly will do it. And, I do appreciate the offer.

The issue is that things are about to get very BUSY for our family, and in a good way. We are going to have the whole family together for over a week, and we are in the count-down phase of that right now. :nabble_anim_jump:

Steve - It doesn't look like that barrel is going to work. The max height/girth I want is 8" and those things are much bigger - right?

All - Which takes me to my conversation yesterday with WelderScott and fabricator Ben about tanks and bottles. (Which, I should add, was cut short by someone coming by and reminding me that we had a meeting about to start. :nabble_smiley_sad:) Scott said that he'll give me plenty of the steel oxygen bottles as they've gone over to aluminum and no one wants them. The bottles are maybe 4" in diameter and 24" long, which my calculations say would be 1.3 gallons. I think I could put 4 of them side-by-side and stack them 2 high for a total of 8 bottles, which would be 10.4 gallons by my calcs.

On the other hand, Ben said he could make one-off tanks of any size. So, I could design two side-by-side 8" diameter tanks, one ~26" long and one ~36" long. And my calc's say that would give a total of 13.5 gallons. I could draw them up on CAD and include the brackets for mounting, probably to the frame, as well as the bungs into which I'd put the various fittings. And, I could include a skid plate.

And speaking of drawings, Ben said he hopes to get to my bumper soon. :nabble_anim_jump:

An oval tank would GREATLY increase volume in the 8x16" space

An oval tank would GREATLY increase volume in the 8x16" space

An oval tank would be limited to the ~26" length. The 13.5 gallons comes from a 8 x 26" tank of 5.7 gallons and an 8 x 36" tank of 7.8 gallons. The longer tank is on the outside as it will clear the front spring hanger, and the shorter tank is on the inside and is between the spring hanger and the front of the bed.

A rectangular tank of 8 x 16" x 26" would hold 14.4 gallons. But that's rectangular and not oval. So I'm not sure an oval 16 x 26" tank would be any bigger than the two round tanks at 13.5 gallons. And, it might have to be made of thicker material given the longer run on the top and bottom, so might be heavier overall. On the other hand, the round tanks have more surface area. :nabble_anim_confused:

An oval tank would be limited to the ~26" length. The 13.5 gallons comes from a 8 x 26" tank of 5.7 gallons and an 8 x 36" tank of 7.8 gallons. The longer tank is on the outside as it will clear the front spring hanger, and the shorter tank is on the inside and is between the spring hanger and the front of the bed.

A rectangular tank of 8 x 16" x 26" would hold 14.4 gallons. But that's rectangular and not oval. So I'm not sure an oval 16 x 26" tank would be any bigger than the two round tanks at 13.5 gallons. And, it might have to be made of thicker material given the longer run on the top and bottom, so might be heavier overall. On the other hand, the round tanks have more surface area. :nabble_anim_confused:

Flat sides (rectangular) have no arch and tend to oilcan.

90* seams are a weakness whether a fold or weld.

Don't think of a box when you think of a pressure vessel.

There is a reason why they are round (least surface area) or oval.(most interior volume in an odd space)

Flat sides (rectangular) have no arch and tend to oilcan.

90* seams are a weakness whether a fold or weld.

Don't think of a box when you think of a pressure vessel.

There is a reason why they are round (least surface area) or oval.(most interior volume in an odd space)

I agree fully. But the easiest way to approximate the area of an oval was to use a rectangle. And that is best-case on sizing.

I agree fully. But the easiest way to approximate the area of an oval was to use a rectangle. And that is best-case on sizing.

No.

A 8"cylinder and an 8" square extruded to 26" (or whatever)

V=cylinder + rectangle... minus wall thickness if internal

And I said V, for volume. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Area is, of course, circle + square

We bicker like old women, you know that????

LOL! Yes, we do. And I’m not fully reading/comprehending as I’m at the marina cleaning the boat in order to take the g-twins out for skiing.

This is the first outing for the boat this year due to all the rain and the height of the lake. And some kind soul had unplugged the extension cord to the HF chargers. Fortunately it started.

Then I found that the cooling system has another crack in it. We had the same piece replaced two years ago due to a crack. According to one of the guys here in spite of draining it as Mercruiser says I should turn the engine over after draining it to blow the water out.

But we should be good today as it just goes in the bilge and there’s not a big leak. 😳

LOL! Yes, we do. And I’m not fully reading/comprehending as I’m at the marina cleaning the boat in order to take the g-twins out for skiing.

This is the first outing for the boat this year due to all the rain and the height of the lake. And some kind soul had unplugged the extension cord to the HF chargers. Fortunately it started.

Then I found that the cooling system has another crack in it. We had the same piece replaced two years ago due to a crack. According to one of the guys here in spite of draining it as Mercruiser says I should turn the engine over after draining it to blow the water out.

But we should be good today as it just goes in the bilge and there’s not a big leak. 😳

Maybe when you winterize you ought to pump it full of RV antifreeze?

Couldn't hurt the lake, and it'd save you lots of $$ and troubles.

8x16 oval x 26". = 12.86155844 gal.

And MUCH simpler to fabricate and install than two odd cylinders.

Less welds and material too.