Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Where'd you get the specs on what a steering damper is for? I've often thought that was the case, but have never seen it stated.
It's an opinion I've formed over the years, based on how they're used by vehicle mfrs., many magazine articles, and diagnosing steering problems at work.

Ok, Steve. Thanks.

Jim asked for a better picture of the carnage on Big Blue's cross member, so here's a shot of it as well as the one on the '95, the latter rotated to approximate the other's angle and marked up to represent where it looks like the cuts are:

Big_Blues_Crossmember.thumb.jpg.54e9dea467cc187428139f27f4c038e3.jpg1995_Crossmember_-_Marked_Up.thumb.jpg.136370ba2f0fe403e48cff47575ed7dc.jpg

Ok, Steve. Thanks.

Jim asked for a better picture of the carnage on Big Blue's cross member, so here's a shot of it as well as the one on the '95, the latter rotated to approximate the other's angle and marked up to represent where it looks like the cuts are:

It's just on the one side?

Ok

When Bill said it looked like they had cut the cross member away to get at the motor mount adapters I was definitely thinking both sides.

Well... that makes the job a LOT simpler.

Yes, it does!

I'm filthy, but I just put bolts into the empty holes and tightened up the other bolts. Two of the three existing bolts tightened up 1/4 to 1/2 turn, although that big one back in the corner w/the piece of tubing as a filler was already tight. Plus, the two new ones got finger-tight and then turned another couple of turns with a wrench, so they were sucking the two pieces together. And, note the chiseled-off riven in the foreground, right side. :nabble_smiley_angry:

Anyway, I wonder if this will reduce the amount of popping and clunking in the front end. We shall see in the morn.

LH_Perch_Bolts_Before.thumb.jpg.ab97f439c8683eaf884e35f7431e7539.jpg

LH_Perch_Bolts_After.thumb.jpg.8123a1cf8787b8c774f991f4deefb250.jpg

Yes, it does!

I'm filthy, but I just put bolts into the empty holes and tightened up the other bolts. Two of the three existing bolts tightened up 1/4 to 1/2 turn, although that big one back in the corner w/the piece of tubing as a filler was already tight. Plus, the two new ones got finger-tight and then turned another couple of turns with a wrench, so they were sucking the two pieces together. And, note the chiseled-off riven in the foreground, right side. :nabble_smiley_angry:

Anyway, I wonder if this will reduce the amount of popping and clunking in the front end. We shall see in the morn.

Another thing that has been bugging me is the fuel line. There's a spot on it that is only 1" from the header - and that's after I bent it a few years ago because it was almost touching. The other day when I was towing another Chevy on the trailer I felt the engine cut out a bit, and I've been wondering if it is due to heating of the fuel.

So today I added a shield at the closest spot, as shown below. No, it isn't as good as it could be, but the whole thing's coming apart soon and the fuel lines will be all together different, so this problem will go away then. But, for tomorrow.....

Carb_Fuel_Line_Shield.thumb.jpg.7cae0d1cc78a15f45c9f8656238dc03c.jpg

Another thing that has been bugging me is the fuel line. There's a spot on it that is only 1" from the header - and that's after I bent it a few years ago because it was almost touching. The other day when I was towing another Chevy on the trailer I felt the engine cut out a bit, and I've been wondering if it is due to heating of the fuel.

So today I added a shield at the closest spot, as shown below. No, it isn't as good as it could be, but the whole thing's coming apart soon and the fuel lines will be all together different, so this problem will go away then. But, for tomorrow.....

I like how they painted the top of the engine perches but not the underside. That's how I can tell it's from Florida. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I like how they painted the top of the engine perches but not the underside. That's how I can tell it's from Florida. :nabble_smiley_happy:

So, not only are there no mechanics in Florida, there's no one who pays attention to detail? :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

Well, we took Big Blue on a shake-down run to make sure nothing I did created a problem. But, we didn't make it out of the driveway before the clunk appeared. So, I didn't fix that, but apparently didn't create any problems either.

And, I filled up both 5 gallon gas cans to serve as spares. So, I call it ready. :nabble_smiley_good:

So, not only are there no mechanics in Florida, there's no one who pays attention to detail? :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

For what it's worth, when I painted my dash and every other interior panel in the truck, I painted both the inner and outer sections. Same with the frame, and the wheels. I was born and raised here, and proudly belong to the maybe 5% of people here who do things the right way. :nabble_anim_blbl:

For what it's worth, when I painted my dash and every other interior panel in the truck, I painted both the inner and outer sections. Same with the frame, and the wheels. I was born and raised here, and proudly belong to the maybe 5% of people here who do things the right way. :nabble_anim_blbl:

I'm sure there are plenty of you that will do things correctly. It is just so disappointing as I get farther and farther into Big Blue and keep finding the shyster tricks that were done to him. :nabble_smiley_sad: