Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

An update. Janey said "We'd better get it on order!" But I told her not quite yet as I needed to find the Kicker ZISL adapter that converts RCA level signals to speaker level as the 11HS8 has only speaker level inputs. But Crutchfield no longer carries the ZISL. So I called and talked to Cody who said the ZISL has been replaced by the 46KISL, which is in stock as is the 11HS8.

While I had Cody on the line I reviewed my plans and he thinks they are good. He fully agreed with using the sub-out RCA connections on the Sony instead of tapping into the speaker wires as that allows use of the sub controls in the Sony. And mounting the unit upside down is fine. However, he doesn't think I should mount the sub to the console as it will shake it. Instead he recommended mounting the sub to the seat platform.

So now I need to determine how long the RCA cables need to be and whether I have a set that will work. Then we can get everything on order. :nabble_anim_jump:

Cool! Sounds like a plan is coming together!

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cool! Sounds like a plan is coming together!

Yes, we have a plan! Still need to figure out the RCA cables.

Got a bit busy yesterday evening watching storms and forgot about the cables. They broke in on TV when the storm was 60+ miles due west of us and tracked it moving due east for about 90 minutes. Moving due east is very rare around here and it had us quite nervous. But it missed us by a few miles and we finally got to bed late - for us.

Maybe today I'll figure out how long the cables need to be and we can get the things on order.

Yes, we have a plan! Still need to figure out the RCA cables.

Got a bit busy yesterday evening watching storms and forgot about the cables. They broke in on TV when the storm was 60+ miles due west of us and tracked it moving due east for about 90 minutes. Moving due east is very rare around here and it had us quite nervous. But it missed us by a few miles and we finally got to bed late - for us.

Maybe today I'll figure out how long the cables need to be and we can get the things on order.

If you haven't ordered yet, rather than the KISL, check out the RFiF2SW.

I have the KISL as they came with my amp as a package deal but went with the RFiF2SW just to eliminate a F-F coupler.

And speaking of reducing connections, not sure if you have molex terminals/crimpers but I ended up de-pinning/re-pinning (?) the HS8 harness so the wires go straight into it.

They are a minor things but just some ideas :nabble_smiley_beam:

If you haven't ordered yet, rather than the KISL, check out the RFiF2SW.

I have the KISL as they came with my amp as a package deal but went with the RFiF2SW just to eliminate a F-F coupler.

And speaking of reducing connections, not sure if you have molex terminals/crimpers but I ended up de-pinning/re-pinning (?) the HS8 harness so the wires go straight into it.

They are a minor things but just some ideas :nabble_smiley_beam:

Thanks, Scott. On the RCA cables, I was hoping that in the box of cables that I had some male/female cables so I wouldn't need the female/female ones. But so far all I've found is male/male, and even those are cheap feeling, so maybe not much shielding. Or they are waaaaaay too long.

So now I'm looking at ordering some the right length, which appears to be 6'. But those RF adapters look good, and you've proven they work on the Kicker sub, so that may be the way to go. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the Molex connector, I'm not sure what you mean. Do the Kicker wires not go straight in? What am I missing? :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks, Scott. On the RCA cables, I was hoping that in the box of cables that I had some male/female cables so I wouldn't need the female/female ones. But so far all I've found is male/male, and even those are cheap feeling, so maybe not much shielding. Or they are waaaaaay too long.

So now I'm looking at ordering some the right length, which appears to be 6'. But those RF adapters look good, and you've proven they work on the Kicker sub, so that may be the way to go. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the Molex connector, I'm not sure what you mean. Do the Kicker wires not go straight in? What am I missing? :nabble_anim_confused:

Sitting in a 100+ degree attic working on ductwork so short reply but unless they changed it, it comes with a molex connector with pigtails like https://www.kicker.com/PTPHWH

So if you feel so inclined you can remove the individual terminals from the hs8 connector, crimp female molex terminals on the RF or KISL (as well as your trigger wire, etc) and eliminate another connection point.

Sitting in a 100+ degree attic working on ductwork so short reply but unless they changed it, it comes with a molex connector with pigtails like https://www.kicker.com/PTPHWH

So if you feel so inclined you can remove the individual terminals from the hs8 connector, crimp female molex terminals on the RF or KISL (as well as your trigger wire, etc) and eliminate another connection point.

Ok, now I understand. Thanks!

But don't sit in a hot attic to educate me! That's no fun. Been there, done that and hated it. But in the end it was well worth it so I'll bet your time is as well.

Ok, now I understand. Thanks!

But don't sit in a hot attic to educate me! That's no fun. Been there, done that and hated it. But in the end it was well worth it so I'll bet your time is as well.

Math works! Remember that I calculated that .012" difference in the thickness of the gasket would make 1/4 turn difference in the heat sink for the O2 sensor? Well, I took a new gasket that measured .055" down to .043" and the dot, and therefore the unseen opening, are pointed upstream in the exhaust, as you can see below.

But, it was not nearly as easy as that sounds. I discovered that a file really didn't take much off, apparently because I couldn't push down on the gasket hard enough. So I glued the washer to a 12" steel ruler and used the belt/disk sander. But that didn't last more than a few seconds before the heat melted the glue and the washer came off the ruler. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So then I tried sandpaper on a flat surface and discovered that anything coarser than 320 grit caused the washer to grab. So the real work was done on 320 sandpaper, stopping every few minutes to measure. And via those measurements I learned that it wasn't quite flat, so I marked the high spots and then took them down to match the rest of the washer.

Finally I got the needed .012" off and my fingers said it was either time to quit or rob a bank as I no longer have fingerprints. I opted to for the former and installed the heat sink. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Innovate_Heat_Sink_Installed.jpg.0ec2f3183fbc36e1da2ac010c8f55aaa.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n153974/Rotated.jpg

I ware Clarks too. Comfortable shoes.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

About the sub-w. My "modern-radio-in-a-classic-case" can afford it, but I am wondering if it's worth the effort, since these trucks are, let's say, a bit noisy.

If I had to install one in Big Brother, I would go for under-seat. But Big Bro has bench seat, not bucket seats.

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Finally I got the needed .012" off and my fingers said it was either time to quit or rob a bank as I no longer have fingerprints. I opted to for the former and installed the heat sink. :nabble_smiley_wink:

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Never tried it, but heard that between the rail and the train wheel it works well.

Not really scientific nor precise, but couple of trials could have result with the right washer thickness.

A bit dangerous for the fingers too.

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Never tried it, but heard that between the rail and the train wheel it works well.

Not really scientific nor precise, but couple of trials could have result with the right washer thickness.

A bit dangerous for the fingers too.

I’ve done it with a penny. F L A T. And much wider than it was originally. Not what was needed.

I’ll stick to S L O W L Y removing the material. One and done, and my fingers will grow back. :nabble_smiley_evil:.