Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks, David. We took BB out for a drive today and put soft drinks in the cup holders. Seems to work out nicely with the console 3" back, and Janey said "It opens the area up a whole bunch", meaning that the floor looks much less crowded now. So I think we'll leave it there for the trip with Bret to the Ozarks at the end of Feb.

Also, I pulled the steering wheel and turned it a couple of notches CW. It was always turned CCW just a bit when going down the road straight, so I'm hoping this will fix it.

But you may remember that the tapped holes in this wheel are different sizes since one was stripped out. I found bolts the right length to get it off, but I wish I'd drilled out and retapped the 5/16" hole to 3/8" to match the other one. I forgot that I intended to do that next time I had the wheel off. Now it is "next time" again. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the steering shaft and steering wheel had a gap in the splines so it could only fit one way? :nabble_anim_confused:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought so as well, but I was able to re-clock it. Maybe that's something to do with the later model wheel? :nabble_anim_confused:

Took Big Blue out today to test the DashCommand app, but during that time I noticed a noise under the hood. Janey and I both listened closely and were pretty sure it was the alternator. (Oh goodie!!! I'll put a mega-unit in!) But I pulled out a piece of hose and we listened closely and then agreed that it is the idler pulley.

Y'all may remember that I've had one idler pulley failure, and while I'm carrying a spare in the toolbox it is the effect of losing power steering and brakes at the same time that has me worried. (That reminds me of the trip our family took on a cable car - to the Lewis & Clark Caverns if I remember correctly. Someone asked about the strength of the cable and the guide said not to worry - they have a spare in the warehouse.)

Given that I'm going to replace the idler pulley and the belt. I've done some research and discovered that both the F-series and E-series vehicles with 460's use the same idler pulley assembly and belt. And by "assembly" I mean the whole arm/pulley/bearing combo. The part #'s I've found are Gates 38140 and ACDelco 38140. Yep, both of them have the same part number. In fact, their pictures look the same. :nabble_anim_confused:

But I'm going to call our member DeWayne/93F3507.3, who now runs Skiatook Auto Parts, and see what he has or can get. I know that there are replacement pulleys with bearings instead of the whole idler arm, so I'll see what he has and let y'all know. And I'll add that piece of info to the list of part #'s that rides in BB's console.

Took Big Blue out today to test the DashCommand app, but during that time I noticed a noise under the hood. Janey and I both listened closely and were pretty sure it was the alternator. (Oh goodie!!! I'll put a mega-unit in!) But I pulled out a piece of hose and we listened closely and then agreed that it is the idler pulley.

Y'all may remember that I've had one idler pulley failure, and while I'm carrying a spare in the toolbox it is the effect of losing power steering and brakes at the same time that has me worried. (That reminds me of the trip our family took on a cable car - to the Lewis & Clark Caverns if I remember correctly. Someone asked about the strength of the cable and the guide said not to worry - they have a spare in the warehouse.)

Given that I'm going to replace the idler pulley and the belt. I've done some research and discovered that both the F-series and E-series vehicles with 460's use the same idler pulley assembly and belt. And by "assembly" I mean the whole arm/pulley/bearing combo. The part #'s I've found are Gates 38140 and ACDelco 38140. Yep, both of them have the same part number. In fact, their pictures look the same. :nabble_anim_confused:

But I'm going to call our member DeWayne/93F3507.3, who now runs Skiatook Auto Parts, and see what he has or can get. I know that there are replacement pulleys with bearings instead of the whole idler arm, so I'll see what he has and let y'all know. And I'll add that piece of info to the list of part #'s that rides in BB's console.

I pulled the idler assembly out and spun the pulley - no noise. Then I looked at it and realized there are streaks of lube radiating out of the bearing. Yup, bullet dodged. :nabble_smiley_oh:

DeWayne had the pulley and the A/C & power steering belt in a Dayco brand, but didn't have the alternator belt. In fact, he didn't have a listing for the alternator belt as everything in his catalog also had the AIR pump, which BB doesn't have. The belt that is on it says it is a NAPA 25-060470, so he crossed that to a Gates and ordered one of those and a Gates for the A/C & PS.

I'm not sure where the alternator belt came from, but I had it from all of the stuff I accumulated and it fit. Perhaps it came from Jim with the other stuff from the F450? NAPA shows that it fits Audis, Seats, a Skoda, and several VWs. And it is a 6-rib that has an "effective length" of 47.05" and an "outside circumference" of 47.63".

Not sure what DeWayne ordered, but a catalog I found crosses that NAPA # to Gate's K060478 which has a 47.72" "pitch length" and is 48.29" "outside". And the A/C & PS belt that's on it is a Gates K060675. I'll put the new belts on and the old, but very serviceable, belts in the toolbox right next to the spare idler assembly that includes a pulley.

And all of the above info will go into the parts list I'm compiling. :nabble_anim_working:

New_Idler_Pulley_vs_Old_One.thumb.jpg.f3a59e79606463c2de1d63694d5ad76c.jpg

I pulled the idler assembly out and spun the pulley - no noise. Then I looked at it and realized there are streaks of lube radiating out of the bearing. Yup, bullet dodged. :nabble_smiley_oh:

DeWayne had the pulley and the A/C & power steering belt in a Dayco brand, but didn't have the alternator belt. In fact, he didn't have a listing for the alternator belt as everything in his catalog also had the AIR pump, which BB doesn't have. The belt that is on it says it is a NAPA 25-060470, so he crossed that to a Gates and ordered one of those and a Gates for the A/C & PS.

I'm not sure where the alternator belt came from, but I had it from all of the stuff I accumulated and it fit. Perhaps it came from Jim with the other stuff from the F450? NAPA shows that it fits Audis, Seats, a Skoda, and several VWs. And it is a 6-rib that has an "effective length" of 47.05" and an "outside circumference" of 47.63".

Not sure what DeWayne ordered, but a catalog I found crosses that NAPA # to Gate's K060478 which has a 47.72" "pitch length" and is 48.29" "outside". And the A/C & PS belt that's on it is a Gates K060675. I'll put the new belts on and the old, but very serviceable, belts in the toolbox right next to the spare idler assembly that includes a pulley.

And all of the above info will go into the parts list I'm compiling. :nabble_anim_working:

Checked the vent heights vs the air inlet. Here's what I found, with all distances from the ground:

• Air inlet: 48"

• Front axle vent: 44", but it would be easy to take it up the firewall to ensure water from the fan doesn't get in.

• Transfer case vent: 44" and since it is clipped to the t-case shift lever up in the boot I don't think water will get there

• Rear axle vent: 38" and I think I should raise it a bit.

• Cab floor: 38"

• Starter: 24"

I've watched the videos of the Ozark Overland Adventure Trail several times and they get into water that comes well up on their tires. So if they are running 35's I'd guess the water is about 30" deep. I don't intend to get into anything deeper than that, and hopefully not that deep as the videos were taken shortly after they'd had a lot of rain.

Which brings me to the spares list. I'll put the used fan belts as well as a spare idler pulley in, and asked DeWayne to order me another Wix filter to put in. Not sure what else I should take, but don't think there's anything in the starter that water will ruin, so don't think I'll need one of those.

Thoughts?

That reminds me of the trip our family took on a cable car - to the Lewis & Clark Caverns if I remember correctly. Someone asked about the strength of the cable and the guide said not to worry - they have a spare in the warehouse.

Was somewhat reassuring!

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Yes, Jeff. But only "somewhat". unlike a cable car, I think I can probably recover from an idler pulley seizure and associated belt disintegration since I don't think it'll be fatal. Just uncomfortable and inconvenient.

Given that I have used-but-good belts and idler pulley in the spares container that'll stay in Big Blue's toolbox. The best insurance I know for not needing them.

As for what I did to Big Blue today, I lubed him. Or maybe I should say his lubrication points: tie rod ends (2); drag link (2); ball joints (4), track bar (2); front driveshaft (3); rear driveshaft (2). Yep, a total of 15 points to lube.

And some of them are NO FUN to get to. The two in the double-cardan joint on the front driveshaft and both of the ones in the rear driveshaft are impossible to get to with the truck on the lift. That seems to align the driveshafts perfectly such that there's no angle to the joints and, therefore, no wide spot through which to insert the gun.

So I pulled the driveshafts off to lube them, but of course on the rear shaft the caps will pop off when you hit them with pressure via the grease gun, so I used a c-clamp to keep the caps on, as shown below.

But also shown below is the mess one of my grease guns left. Unfortunately I didn't see it dribbling and stepped in it and tracked it all over. Boy, what a job cleaning up! :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, BB is well and truly lubed and one step closer to being ready for his next adventure.

Lubing_Rear_U-Joints.thumb.jpg.fb70acada3ccae3f01a6b091a8015e00.jpgGrease_Mess.thumb.jpg.88523868902ef27f643e706f2dc41475.jpg

Yes, Jeff. But only "somewhat". unlike a cable car, I think I can probably recover from an idler pulley seizure and associated belt disintegration since I don't think it'll be fatal. Just uncomfortable and inconvenient.

Given that I have used-but-good belts and idler pulley in the spares container that'll stay in Big Blue's toolbox. The best insurance I know for not needing them.

As for what I did to Big Blue today, I lubed him. Or maybe I should say his lubrication points: tie rod ends (2); drag link (2); ball joints (4), track bar (2); front driveshaft (3); rear driveshaft (2). Yep, a total of 15 points to lube.

And some of them are NO FUN to get to. The two in the double-cardan joint on the front driveshaft and both of the ones in the rear driveshaft are impossible to get to with the truck on the lift. That seems to align the driveshafts perfectly such that there's no angle to the joints and, therefore, no wide spot through which to insert the gun.

So I pulled the driveshafts off to lube them, but of course on the rear shaft the caps will pop off when you hit them with pressure via the grease gun, so I used a c-clamp to keep the caps on, as shown below.

But also shown below is the mess one of my grease guns left. Unfortunately I didn't see it dribbling and stepped in it and tracked it all over. Boy, what a job cleaning up! :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, BB is well and truly lubed and one step closer to being ready for his next adventure.

Got several things done today. First, I installed the new fan belts and put the lightly-used ones in the spares bin.

Second, I extended the front and rear axle vents to get them above 48", which is the height of the bottom of the air inlet.

Third, I ordered a new grease gun, the Lube Shuttle that John recommended, and two Li400 tubes of grease. You can see the details here.

I still have to finalize the spares list and add those bits to the spares bin. And I have to decide what pressure I want to air down to while on the trail and adjust the bleeders to that pressure. But other than filling the gas tanks and maybe adding a bit of air to the air springs I think the truck is ready for the OOAT. :nabble_anim_jump:

Got several things done today. First, I installed the new fan belts and put the lightly-used ones in the spares bin.

Second, I extended the front and rear axle vents to get them above 48", which is the height of the bottom of the air inlet.

Third, I ordered a new grease gun, the Lube Shuttle that John recommended, and two Li400 tubes of grease. You can see the details here.

I still have to finalize the spares list and add those bits to the spares bin. And I have to decide what pressure I want to air down to while on the trail and adjust the bleeders to that pressure. But other than filling the gas tanks and maybe adding a bit of air to the air springs I think the truck is ready for the OOAT. :nabble_anim_jump:

Gary, here is what I use to do the cardian joint and the u joints. Says its for the f;lush type fittings but it will work on the zerts if you get it lined up good.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/performance-tool/performance-tool-4-inch-needle-adapter/pfm0/w54216?q=w54216&pos=0