Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks, Dane. I think it is working out fine, but there is more to do. I want to insulate it as I have the air box and plan to do on the feed from the MAF sensor to the throttle body. And while I could do that later, it is a pain to take it off. And the insulation and associated aluminum duct tape will ensure it is well sealed.

Then, before summer, I want to seal off a bunch of the places around the radiator and core support where I'm pretty sure hot air will make its way into the inlet. But that can wait as we hope to take the truck on the Butterfield Stage quest next week so I need to get this done.

As always, Gary, you do nice work!

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As always, Gary, you do nice work!

Thanks, David. Did you have any damage from the storms?

Here's where I'm starting today. The Windsor snorkel is well and truly GLUED. Now I need to get it in the right position for the hood to miss it and screw it down. Then insulate it and install it for good.

Windsor_Snorkel_Glued__Held_In_Place.jpg.c91fbba3d3966f7ae52f019b2862e74c.jpg

Thanks, David. Did you have any damage from the storms?

Here's where I'm starting today. The Windsor snorkel is well and truly GLUED. Now I need to get it in the right position for the hood to miss it and screw it down. Then insulate it and install it for good.

Thanks, Gary, for checking! Did you receive my email?

Glad you are ok, but didn't get the email. However I did get a text.

Ok, the Winsor air intake is in. On the left is a shot with it in, but before the intake plumbing was put back on. You can see that it is all insulated save for the bellows since they need to flex. The insulation is the same stuff I used on the HVAC plenum and the air filter box, which is 1/8" thick foam with an aluminum backing. Plus it is fully covered with aluminum duct tape.

And then on the right is with the rest of the intake put back on. I still need to insulate the hoses going to the throttle body, but will have to order more of the insulation and tape as I'm essentially out after today.

Windsor_Snorkel_In.jpg.76f23849ba08f0a7d246e0c50017e675.jpgWindsor_Snorkel_In__Intake_Back_Together.jpg.eb9a70d647e40a6246246f3b8a86b5c5.jpg

And here are a couple more shots. On the left is the whole thing snapped together, but before I taped the joint where the top connects to the bottom, which I didn't do until I put it on the truck. And the one on the right shows how I sealed the lower piece to the air filter box with aluminum duct tape, and held it in place with a couple of sheet metal screws, one on each end.

Windsor_Snorkel_Out_Of_Truck.jpg.1311502a607b9017f1f757edc820a60e.jpgSnorkel_Taped__Screw_To_Air_Box.thumb.jpg.287e60071ed9fcef2b0df3283bc8d3ea.jpg

Ok, the Winsor air intake is in. On the left is a shot with it in, but before the intake plumbing was put back on. You can see that it is all insulated save for the bellows since they need to flex. The insulation is the same stuff I used on the HVAC plenum and the air filter box, which is 1/8" thick foam with an aluminum backing. Plus it is fully covered with aluminum duct tape.

And then on the right is with the rest of the intake put back on. I still need to insulate the hoses going to the throttle body, but will have to order more of the insulation and tape as I'm essentially out after today.

And here are a couple more shots. On the left is the whole thing snapped together, but before I taped the joint where the top connects to the bottom, which I didn't do until I put it on the truck. And the one on the right shows how I sealed the lower piece to the air filter box with aluminum duct tape, and held it in place with a couple of sheet metal screws, one on each end.

One more pic on the air inlet. Jim had asked if the Windsor inlet would be big enough to feed that built 460. Turns out the Windsor inlet's front opening is slight bigger than the 460's at 6 3/4" vs 6 1/4" wide. And they have the same height. So I'm confident that it'll feed the engine quite well.

This shows the 460's inlet on the top and the Windsor on the bottom.

460_vs_Windsor_Air_Inlet.thumb.jpg.05a0f611a9e0e833d4fe30b83f248523.jpg

One more pic on the air inlet. Jim had asked if the Windsor inlet would be big enough to feed that built 460. Turns out the Windsor inlet's front opening is slight bigger than the 460's at 6 3/4" vs 6 1/4" wide. And they have the same height. So I'm confident that it'll feed the engine quite well.

This shows the 460's inlet on the top and the Windsor on the bottom.

We are leaving tomorrow to take Big Blue On The Butterfield Route, and I was just checking him over to make sure he is ready. In doing so I spotted the empty Lariat emblem chrome piece and decided now was the time to install the nice Lariat emblem that Jonathan gave me years ago.

Yes, I've had it all that time and haven't installed it as it is a pain to get up to where the emblem is attached. But today I came up with another plan - since the chrome on the one that's on there is good I'd remove the emblem from the chrome surround.

But that emblem was well and truly glued in there, so I wound up placing the unit in the vise and milling off the surround on three sides so I could get a knife under it and pry it loose. I did and here's the before & after:

Lariat_Emblem_Missing.thumb.jpg.19f57e74e0b491992d3577d506b4f79a.jpgLariat_Emblem_In_Place.thumb.jpg.ad38c7d8eb01f196774b9e23328edb08.jpg

We are leaving tomorrow to take Big Blue On The Butterfield Route, and I was just checking him over to make sure he is ready. In doing so I spotted the empty Lariat emblem chrome piece and decided now was the time to install the nice Lariat emblem that Jonathan gave me years ago.

Yes, I've had it all that time and haven't installed it as it is a pain to get up to where the emblem is attached. But today I came up with another plan - since the chrome on the one that's on there is good I'd remove the emblem from the chrome surround.

But that emblem was well and truly glued in there, so I wound up placing the unit in the vise and milling off the surround on three sides so I could get a knife under it and pry it loose. I did and here's the before & after:

Oops, I forgot. As part of getting ready I pulled the covers off the fog lights since we may need to use them. And I noticed something on the inside of the covers, which can be seen if you look closely on the outside - melting. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Guess I'll run w/o the covers!

Melting_On_Fog_Light_Covers.thumb.jpg.04e4bcd6ab341265967268927660ccd9.jpg

Oops, I forgot. As part of getting ready I pulled the covers off the fog lights since we may need to use them. And I noticed something on the inside of the covers, which can be seen if you look closely on the outside - melting. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Guess I'll run w/o the covers!

Have you had the lights on with the covers? I'm sure they aren't intended for that. The covers are just to protect the lights when they aren't being used, not to be used as dimmers. Or is the heat that melted the covers from something else?

Have you had the lights on with the covers? I'm sure they aren't intended for that. The covers are just to protect the lights when they aren't being used, not to be used as dimmers. Or is the heat that melted the covers from something else?

I've probably had the lights on when the covers were on. But I didn't think they were ever on THAT long. Guess I was wrong.

Janey asked me the other day why I had the covers on and I said "Because they are cool." Apparently I was wrong? :nabble_smiley_oh: