Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Got a note back from Garmin suggesting that I do more testing, including using another cable. I've done that and have determined that the noise is coming from the Montana and just being amplified by the Sony. Here's a video I shot that captures the noise which I sent to them:

In case you haven't seen it, I can no longer recommend the Garmin Montana 750i, as explained in this post in the thread on Handheld GPS System Recommendations?. To summarize, I got rid of the noise, although I don't really know how. But along the way I discovered several things about the 750i, the cradle it mounts in, and the Garmin documentation that I think are very poor. I don't know if there is a better device out there, but I can no longer recommend this one. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:But today I got the tint installed on the top of the windshield, and I'm happy about that. It isn't as tall as the guy first tried, but we both thought that was too much. So he cut it down and I like it. I think it is going to take a lot of sun off of Janey, and that's the intention.Windshield_Tint_-_Outside.thumb.jpg.2abdfbd14383157e34cf2cd800e6f99b.jpgWindshield_Tint_-_Inside.thumb.jpg.36f1341ffc22c9029aae2d64d99d23b5.jpg

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In case you haven't seen it, I can no longer recommend the Garmin Montana 750i, as explained in this post in the thread on Handheld GPS System Recommendations?. To summarize, I got rid of the noise, although I don't really know how. But along the way I discovered several things about the 750i, the cradle it mounts in, and the Garmin documentation that I think are very poor. I don't know if there is a better device out there, but I can no longer recommend this one. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

But today I got the tint installed on the top of the windshield, and I'm happy about that. It isn't as tall as the guy first tried, but we both thought that was too much. So he cut it down and I like it. I think it is going to take a lot of sun off of Janey, and that's the intention.

Looks good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, David. However, I'm a bit concerned with how dark it is. He said he used "5% ceramic tint", which I think means it only passes 5% of the light. He says it will clear up more as it cures, but I'm a bit worried that it is too dark to let us see the mountains. Janey and I need to drive the truck and see what we think as I may want him to put a lighter tint on.

Thanks, David. However, I'm a bit concerned with how dark it is. He said he used "5% ceramic tint", which I think means it only passes 5% of the light. He says it will clear up more as it cures, but I'm a bit worried that it is too dark to let us see the mountains. Janey and I need to drive the truck and see what we think as I may want him to put a lighter tint on.

That does look good.

My son’s BMW has one of those tints across the top of the windshield. I didn’t like it at first and thought it was too dark.

But after driving it some I like it. I made that comment to him and he said he felt the same way.

That does look good.

My son’s BMW has one of those tints across the top of the windshield. I didn’t like it at first and thought it was too dark.

But after driving it some I like it. I made that comment to him and he said he felt the same way.

I hope you are right. And this gives us an excuse to take BB out. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Thanks, David. However, I'm a bit concerned with how dark it is. He said he used "5% ceramic tint", which I think means it only passes 5% of the light.

Natalie's Honda CRV LX did not come with the darker tint on the windows at the rear [back seat, luggage area and lift gate]. The ceramic tint used was 35% added to the standard factory tint and we like it, but side by side with a higher end CRV our tint is just a little lighter.

If you remember the tint on my 1986 F150, it was 50% added to the standard factory tint.

DSCN3227.jpg.e1efa1b2bd5ab329968ed81fe8bf3daf.jpg

Thanks, David. However, I'm a bit concerned with how dark it is. He said he used "5% ceramic tint", which I think means it only passes 5% of the light.

Natalie's Honda CRV LX did not come with the darker tint on the windows at the rear [back seat, luggage area and lift gate]. The ceramic tint used was 35% added to the standard factory tint and we like it, but side by side with a higher end CRV our tint is just a little lighter.

If you remember the tint on my 1986 F150, it was 50% added to the standard factory tint.

Thanks, David. The rear and side windows of Big Blue have the 35% ceramic tint and we really like it. This article in Car And Driver says "Ceramic window tints contain ceramic particles, which are known for having nonconductive properties. These particles can block up to 50% of solar heat and 99% of UV rays."

We went for it due to the UV ray block due to Janey's problems with Sjogren's, but discovered the solar heat blocking when we realized the windows now get warm where they didn't before. And the back of my neck doesn't get hot with the sun coming through the rear window.

But if the new 5% tint on the windshield doesn't block any more solar or UV than the 35% tint we may want to go to that to keep from having "tunnel vision". However, we still haven't driven it to find out, although I may do that tomorrow taking flyers for the show around town. Still, I want Janey's opinion and with our schedule right now that may not happen for a bit.

Thanks, David. The rear and side windows of Big Blue have the 35% ceramic tint and we really like it. This article in Car And Driver says "Ceramic window tints contain ceramic particles, which are known for having nonconductive properties. These particles can block up to 50% of solar heat and 99% of UV rays."

We went for it due to the UV ray block due to Janey's problems with Sjogren's, but discovered the solar heat blocking when we realized the windows now get warm where they didn't before. And the back of my neck doesn't get hot with the sun coming through the rear window.

But if the new 5% tint on the windshield doesn't block any more solar or UV than the 35% tint we may want to go to that to keep from having "tunnel vision". However, we still haven't driven it to find out, although I may do that tomorrow taking flyers for the show around town. Still, I want Janey's opinion and with our schedule right now that may not happen for a bit.

We took Big Blue for an outing today, and along the way checked out the strip at the top of the windshield and tested the odometer. The strip on the windshield is a keeper. We like it.

As for the odometer, it reads 1% low. We tested it for 27 miles and it read 26.75 as close as I could tell.

So the 12.8 MPG I reported on July 6th was actually 12.9, and the 12.9 I reported on the 21st was actually 13.0. But today's was only 12.5 MPG, although that's not bad for running a true 67 MPH on speed control for several hours in very hilly conditions, but with no wind to speak of. So I think it is fair to say that something between 12.5 and 13.0 MPG is the norm.

Oh yes, the Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR meter is going wonky. A couple of weeks ago when towing the Honda home for the guy I caught it showing 19:1 and then showing something quite different. I switched gas tanks to see if that would make any difference, and it seemed to - but not quite.

Since then I've not noticed anything unusual, until today it showed Error 8 when we left town. It stayed that way for about 100 miles, and then when we stopped and restarted it worked properly again. Then it Showed Error 8 again, and then it worked properly again - each time after a restart.

The error messages are shown below, but since the symptoms don't really quite fit the info in the table I called Innovate. The gentleman I talked to suggested that I do the free-air calibration and if that doesn't do it to call and ask for Steve. Apparently he's quite knowledgeable on these kinds of problems.

But, he also asked if the sensor is at least 24" back of the collector and is installed using their spacer. It certainly isn't 24" back of the collector as it might be 6" back. And I didn't use their bung nor spacer. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

Innovate_MTX-L_Error_Messages.thumb.jpg.731cd5df4eeaa9a58d673be697f2f3d5.jpg

We took Big Blue for an outing today, and along the way checked out the strip at the top of the windshield and tested the odometer. The strip on the windshield is a keeper. We like it.

As for the odometer, it reads 1% low. We tested it for 27 miles and it read 26.75 as close as I could tell.

So the 12.8 MPG I reported on July 6th was actually 12.9, and the 12.9 I reported on the 21st was actually 13.0. But today's was only 12.5 MPG, although that's not bad for running a true 67 MPH on speed control for several hours in very hilly conditions, but with no wind to speak of. So I think it is fair to say that something between 12.5 and 13.0 MPG is the norm.

Oh yes, the Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR meter is going wonky. A couple of weeks ago when towing the Honda home for the guy I caught it showing 19:1 and then showing something quite different. I switched gas tanks to see if that would make any difference, and it seemed to - but not quite.

Since then I've not noticed anything unusual, until today it showed Error 8 when we left town. It stayed that way for about 100 miles, and then when we stopped and restarted it worked properly again. Then it Showed Error 8 again, and then it worked properly again - each time after a restart.

The error messages are shown below, but since the symptoms don't really quite fit the info in the table I called Innovate. The gentleman I talked to suggested that I do the free-air calibration and if that doesn't do it to call and ask for Steve. Apparently he's quite knowledgeable on these kinds of problems.

But, he also asked if the sensor is at least 24" back of the collector and is installed using their spacer. It certainly isn't 24" back of the collector as it might be 6" back. And I didn't use their bung nor spacer. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Gary, on my Innovate, it is mounted at the short cross tube where the factory 1990 O2 sensor went. I used the Ford bung that was already there. I did have the original sensor fail, but I really don't know how old it was when I bought the whole thing used.

Gary, on my Innovate, it is mounted at the short cross tube where the factory 1990 O2 sensor went. I used the Ford bung that was already there. I did have the original sensor fail, but I really don't know how old it was when I bought the whole thing used.

Bill - Thanks. I was sure I'd already responded, but apparently not. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I intended to say that Welder Scott was coming over this morning and we were going to reposition the throttle plates on his 2100 as they are binding a bit at idle, making a smooth start difficult. But we pulled the carb and the throttle plates weren't binding. So we re-installed it and played with the throttle return spring. Voila! The rear spring caused binding - apparently the body is worn and the spring pulls the shaft back enough to cause binding. So we left the rear one off and he's driving with just the front one and is a happy camper.

Then Steve/FoxFord33 came over and we used both Blue and Big Blue to get more things from the lady at church that is moving. He got an engine hoist, a parts washer, and a huge fan. I got a Rotunda and another brand battery tester. The Rotunda doesn't work, and I pulled the back off it and can't figure out why not. :nabble_anim_confused:

And I also got a pair of new Firestone air springs. They are clearly marked W21-760-6957 on the label, and 255C 1.5 on the bellows. Apparently the "6957" determines the fittings on the ends, which include the studs for mounting and the NPT fitting. And the "255C 1.5" identifies the bellows.

However, the Firestone Ride-Rite catalog doesn't have either the "6957" nor the "255C 1.5". And yet if you Google "W21-760-6957" you find it is available several places.

But a question/answer session on eTrailer may explain it:

Question: I'm trying to find Firestone air spring W21-760-6957, can you tell me if this part is available?

Answer: For a replacement air spring for Firestone Ride-Rite rear axle kit # F2025 (which is the kit that fits your 1998 Chevrolet C/K Series Pickup) you can use part # F6781. This is the replacement air spring for many of their kits.

As it turns out, 6781 is also the air spring for the kit for Big Blue. So, it looks like the ones I have will work fine if I can figure out how to mount them. So I'll be taking a gander at that soon as it would be nice to be able to bring the back end up when I put the trailer on or we add a heavy load for some trip. And since I have the bags, all I need is the mounts and the plumbing.