Big Blue's Transformation

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, here are the final pics. It is finished. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But not quite how I'd planned as I realized that I needed to install the nyloc nut on the stud at the right depth, feed that through the spacer, and then screw that into the backing plate. So I put anti-seize on the stud to ensure the nut wouldn't seize, and that meant it was well lubed for the wingnuts. But I did use the thread sealant on the threads going into the backing plates - the PTF stuff and not blue. (I'll be careful of the liquid Loctite on plastic, Scott. Thanks.)

As for doing it my way, guilty as charged. But that is frequently predicated on what I have at hand. In this case I'd ordered the stainless all-thread, nyloc nuts, and wingnuts so I wanted to use them. And I don't have silicone grease with Teflon, but I do have anti-seize. If I had to do it over again I'd probably do it differently.

And, speaking of using things to-hand, in the left pic you can see an usual ratchet/socket combo that Janey got me several years ago. The sockets are hollow and the ratchet drives the outside of the sockets. So they really come in handy when working with studs or all-threads.

Anyway, the jack is solidly mounted but is easily retrieved when needed. I think I like it. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Another layer of the onion. 🧅. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've seen those pass-through ratchets before. Seems very handy for something like this.

Well, here are the final pics. It is finished. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But not quite how I'd planned as I realized that I needed to install the nyloc nut on the stud at the right depth, feed that through the spacer, and then screw that into the backing plate. So I put anti-seize on the stud to ensure the nut wouldn't seize, and that meant it was well lubed for the wingnuts. But I did use the thread sealant on the threads going into the backing plates - the PTF stuff and not blue. (I'll be careful of the liquid Loctite on plastic, Scott. Thanks.)

As for doing it my way, guilty as charged. But that is frequently predicated on what I have at hand. In this case I'd ordered the stainless all-thread, nyloc nuts, and wingnuts so I wanted to use them. And I don't have silicone grease with Teflon, but I do have anti-seize. If I had to do it over again I'd probably do it differently.

And, speaking of using things to-hand, in the left pic you can see an usual ratchet/socket combo that Janey got me several years ago. The sockets are hollow and the ratchet drives the outside of the sockets. So they really come in handy when working with studs or all-threads.

Anyway, the jack is solidly mounted but is easily retrieved when needed. I think I like it. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Nice and clean, I like it!

Only one thing Gary, I sincerely hope you won’t need it.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Another layer of the onion. 🧅. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've seen those pass-through ratchets before. Seems very handy for something like this.

Jim - Yep! May have onion rings tonight. :nabble_smiley_wink: And yes, those ratchets come in handy from time to time. And when they do they can be extremely helpful.

Jeff - Thanks! And I'm hoping with you. My theory is that if you are well prepared you won't need it.

I passed the info re mounting the jack on to my son and he was pleased. It was especially meaningful to him as he got the jack for me for Christmas a few years ago. However, he expected me to mount the jack on the outside, and I'm sure that was on the bumper we've collectively designed. But by placing it where I have it is protected from thieves.

Which brings me back to the onion Jim mentioned. I think the onion is just about down to the nub. There are only two more things on my to-do list, and they are to add a pin switch for the tailgate so it is watched by the security system, and add the lighting up under the bedsides, or gunwales.

Oh yes! I need to figure out where the noise is coming from on the Garmin Montana's turn-by-turn output. We used it last week and whle the guidance works there's background noise that is obnoxious. I tried it with the engine off and the key in Accessory and it was the same. So it is either coming from the Garmin or is in the Sony's aux input. I'll plug some earphones into the Garmin to see if the noise is there, and if so see about the warranty.

Jim - Yep! May have onion rings tonight. :nabble_smiley_wink: And yes, those ratchets come in handy from time to time. And when they do they can be extremely helpful.

Jeff - Thanks! And I'm hoping with you. My theory is that if you are well prepared you won't need it.

I passed the info re mounting the jack on to my son and he was pleased. It was especially meaningful to him as he got the jack for me for Christmas a few years ago. However, he expected me to mount the jack on the outside, and I'm sure that was on the bumper we've collectively designed. But by placing it where I have it is protected from thieves.

Which brings me back to the onion Jim mentioned. I think the onion is just about down to the nub. There are only two more things on my to-do list, and they are to add a pin switch for the tailgate so it is watched by the security system, and add the lighting up under the bedsides, or gunwales.

Oh yes! I need to figure out where the noise is coming from on the Garmin Montana's turn-by-turn output. We used it last week and whle the guidance works there's background noise that is obnoxious. I tried it with the engine off and the key in Accessory and it was the same. So it is either coming from the Garmin or is in the Sony's aux input. I'll plug some earphones into the Garmin to see if the noise is there, and if so see about the warranty.

Two things. First, on the noise from the Garmin, I've determined it is from the Garmin itself. I plugged headphones in and can still hear it. So I've called Garmin. We shall see.

Second, if anyone wants to do the jack storage like I did I have a recommendation - PUT IT ON THE PASSENGER'S SIDE! It dawned on me this morning that the huge problem I had reaching the spots for the front and rear backing plates is due to the gas filler necks. So if you put it on the passenger's side you won't have that problem. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But I thought I'd also share with you how out-of-the-way the jack is. On the right is a view from a slight angle showing you where the jack is. And on the right is from almost directly overhead - almost because you can see the inside edge of the cover's rail.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Jack_From_Straight_Up_-_Cropped.thumb.jpg.a04b5bda770ab8c7df047d38e268a9f2.jpgJack_From_A_Slight_Angle_-_Cropped.thumb.jpg.830ef9e19681bcdee4f78ea4a759ec0e.jpg

Two things. First, on the noise from the Garmin, I've determined it is from the Garmin itself. I plugged headphones in and can still hear it. So I've called Garmin. We shall see.

Second, if anyone wants to do the jack storage like I did I have a recommendation - PUT IT ON THE PASSENGER'S SIDE! It dawned on me this morning that the huge problem I had reaching the spots for the front and rear backing plates is due to the gas filler necks. So if you put it on the passenger's side you won't have that problem. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But I thought I'd also share with you how out-of-the-way the jack is. On the right is a view from a slight angle showing you where the jack is. And on the right is from almost directly overhead - almost because you can see the inside edge of the cover's rail.

:nabble_smiley_good:

That'll be nice! Finding a place for a Hi-Lift is always an adventure.

That'll be nice! Finding a place for a Hi-Lift is always an adventure.

Thanks, Bob. I'm pleased with it. Lots more useable room in the bed w/o the jack sticking back off the top of the spare tire.

A week ago when I went to get all of the books the lady gave me I was sure that the jack was going to cause me to have to make two trips. I'd taken totes to put the books in and the jack meant I couldn't use all of the totes. So I stacked books under the jack but not in totes, and that got me enough room to get all of them in one go.

But for long trips where you might get into rain it is best to put belongings in totes since there is sometimes a trickle of water running down the bed. So I need to be able to get as many totes in as possible, and this will allow at least two more to be loaded.

Thanks, Bob. I'm pleased with it. Lots more useable room in the bed w/o the jack sticking back off the top of the spare tire.

A week ago when I went to get all of the books the lady gave me I was sure that the jack was going to cause me to have to make two trips. I'd taken totes to put the books in and the jack meant I couldn't use all of the totes. So I stacked books under the jack but not in totes, and that got me enough room to get all of them in one go.

But for long trips where you might get into rain it is best to put belongings in totes since there is sometimes a trickle of water running down the bed. So I need to be able to get as many totes in as possible, and this will allow at least two more to be loaded.

Totes are a good idea. Keep things in one place instead of that almost unreachable spot under the tool box!

Totes are a good idea. Keep things in one place instead of that almost unreachable spot under the tool box!

My brother and I used totes when we went to Colorado last September and it worked out well. I put my bag in a tote to ensure it stayed dry, and we put foodstuff, drinks, etc in others. Carried the totes up to the hotel room, and then took one tote with us each day with our lunches, drinks, jackets, and the Keurig. And while the inside of the truck got dusty the stuff in the totes didn't.

My son thinks we need drawers, like those from Decked shown below. And if we were doing a lot of overlanding then they might be really nice. But at my age and his lack of time I'm not ready to make that investment.

Now, if he can get more time off then maybe we can do that, build the bumper to move the spare to the back, and add the roof-top tent. But, as my father would have said, we are now dreaming in Technicolor.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

Decked_Drawers_1.jpg.be9953a44c9bb756046284ca2d5c16b6.jpgDecked_Drawers_2.jpg.4efc8fd4c5b587ca4e4a07cf15d18960.jpg

My brother and I used totes when we went to Colorado last September and it worked out well. I put my bag in a tote to ensure it stayed dry, and we put foodstuff, drinks, etc in others. Carried the totes up to the hotel room, and then took one tote with us each day with our lunches, drinks, jackets, and the Keurig. And while the inside of the truck got dusty the stuff in the totes didn't.My son thinks we need drawers, like those from Decked shown below. And if we were doing a lot of overlanding then they might be really nice. But at my age and his lack of time I'm not ready to make that investment.Now, if he can get more time off then maybe we can do that, build the bumper to move the spare to the back, and add the roof-top tent. But, as my father would have said, we are now dreaming in Technicolor.:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:
Got a note back from Garmin suggesting that I do more testing, including using another cable. I've done that and have determined that the noise is coming from the Montana and just being amplified by the Sony. Here's a video I shot that captures the noise which I sent to them: