Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Jeff - I've not tried two clamps, but I have had some problems over the years with leakage so have been thinking about the best way to solve that. I think moving the clamps next to the ring is a good first step, and it frees up enough room to install a second clamp I'll do it - especially on the lower radiator hose which is hard to see.

When installing the hose clamps position the clamp in front of the fitting ridge, this ridge is designed to help the hose and clamp stay secure under pressure. The alignment of the clamp should be "square" (not crooked) to hold pressure needed to successfully seal.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-radiator-hoses

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeff - I've not tried two clamps, but I have had some problems over the years with leakage so have been thinking about the best way to solve that. I think moving the clamps next to the ring is a good first step, and it frees up enough room to install a second clamp I'll do it - especially on the lower radiator hose which is hard to see.

The floor in the shop is still dry, so I'm claiming victory on the cooling system leak(s). :nabble_smiley_wink:

So I turned to the EFI system tuning. I'm still trying to get the idle on a "cold" start where I want it, so today I put the Idle Air Adder For ECT table back to stock. And that meant going from an adder of 96 RPM to 304 RPM at anything below 86F and then ramping to 0 RPM adder at 160F. I expected that to give 1300 RPM for several seconds on startup, but it didn't. So I'm guessing that my changes to another parameter has limited the ability for the computer to raise the idle, and I have to figure that out. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, here's the chart showing idle RPM. I should have included the AFR as it got up to 16.3:1 at the point where the RPM was lowest, and at the white line it slowly dropped to 15.3 and the RPM came up.

Idle_Speed_With_Idle_AIr_Adder_ECT_Stock_YER2_-_Callouts.thumb.png.2876887ece7bcbe66285005d33a709f8.png

And after that, since you can't do another "cold" start until tomorrow, I gave Big Blue a bath. I think he's now ready to go to the A/C shop in the morning. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bath_Time.thumb.jpg.08b27a5ba46169072bb7d96056d66bfa.jpg

And for those forum members who have not yet visited Skiatook, OK for the Truck Show, that is Gary's back / side yard on the driveway leading to the original Garagemahal!

Yep, that is right, David. I suppose I could have taken the truck out to the lake for a better background, like John did. But it was hot (91F) and sunny yesterday and I was dirty and sweaty so didn't want to be in the truck.

Today it is 71F and it was raining when I took the truck to the A/C shop. There goes the wash job. However, we needed the rain.

And, speaking of the trip to the A/C shop, I'm still marveling at how well the truck runs with the EFI. It starts so easily, there's no bog when the choke comes off too early, the throttle response is always crisp, and it just seems like a different truck. :nabble_anim_jump:

Yep, that is right, David. I suppose I could have taken the truck out to the lake for a better background, like John did. But it was hot (91F) and sunny yesterday and I was dirty and sweaty so didn't want to be in the truck.

Today it is 71F and it was raining when I took the truck to the A/C shop. There goes the wash job. However, we needed the rain.

And, speaking of the trip to the A/C shop, I'm still marveling at how well the truck runs with the EFI. It starts so easily, there's no bog when the choke comes off too early, the throttle response is always crisp, and it just seems like a different truck. :nabble_anim_jump:

Gee, and someone I seem to remember questioned why I converted Darth.

Gee, and someone I seem to remember questioned why I converted Darth.

You know, one of the beauties of being almost three quarters of a century old is that I can't remember everything I've said. :nabble_smiley_wink: (But you probably don't remember how good your memory used to be, right? :nabble_smiley_evil:)

Anyway, if I questioned it then I now understand. Coupled with the E4OD instead of the C6 that must have been a major transformation.

I'm anxious to get this thing out on the road for a long enough trip to check the MPG. I'm not expecting miracles, but there has to be some improvement there as well.