Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I still have the powder coated intake and plenum not installed yet. Let me look at the FEZ3 (factory MAF/SEFI/E4OD tune) and see what it shows for intake volume.

Loading FEZ2 and looking at the value, it shows intake manifold size in liters as 5.000 Liters. Since that is the factory tune for a 1996 CA spec 460 with E4OD that is where the value came from.

I guess my question would be is that the entire intake volume including the plenum? Does it also include the intake ports?

Jim - Yes, that's pretty much as I expected as well.

Bill - Thanks for looking. That's what Ben found as well.

But I set it to 3.0 and went for a spin. We'll discuss the results thereof in a bit.

But first, I also set the table for Idle Air Adder For ECT up differently in an attempt to get a bit more idle RPM when the engine was cold. It didn't work and I need to figure out why as it raised the idle RPM when the engine was almost warm but not when cold. So more research is needed there.

Next, I got this delivered to my door today. :nabble_anim_jump: That's not only a 4-row but it is polished! More glitz. :nabble_smiley_happy: So I stopped by the parts store while we were out and got more coolant.

2nd_Champion_Radiator.thumb.jpg.eab4e4c372e17f4247edf631e0614886.jpg

And now on to the manifold size. I've put the two WOT runs side by side with the one with the manifold size at 5 on the left and 3 on the right. And even though the zoom factor is a bit different you can see that it helped to lower the value.

But it is hard to tell so here are the #'s:

ACTION 5.0 AFR 3.0 AFR

2nd gear lift: 11.3 11.6

3rd gear WOT 14.0 13.4

3rd gear lift 11.4 11.4

4th gear WOT 13.5 13.4

4th gear lift 10.6 12.9 (Not sure this is relevant as I stayed in 4th at reduced throttle)

So while it helped, I'm not sure where to go with it. I think I'll tell Ben about it and let him worry about it when he tunes it. (Unless he thinks the tune is reasonably close and suggests I make a few changes and forgo the dyno.)

WOT_Run_050622_Closed_Loop_-_Tip_Arrows.thumb.jpg.a47a45e1b1d31d80197a3d0508ffcc00.jpgWOT_Run_050722_Manifold__3.thumb.png.76500b8fd8a8254808e5a22d2d3753dc.png

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim - Yes, that's pretty much as I expected as well.

Bill - Thanks for looking. That's what Ben found as well.

But I set it to 3.0 and went for a spin. We'll discuss the results thereof in a bit.

But first, I also set the table for Idle Air Adder For ECT up differently in an attempt to get a bit more idle RPM when the engine was cold. It didn't work and I need to figure out why as it raised the idle RPM when the engine was almost warm but not when cold. So more research is needed there.

Next, I got this delivered to my door today. :nabble_anim_jump: That's not only a 4-row but it is polished! More glitz. :nabble_smiley_happy: So I stopped by the parts store while we were out and got more coolant.

And now on to the manifold size. I've put the two WOT runs side by side with the one with the manifold size at 5 on the left and 3 on the right. And even though the zoom factor is a bit different you can see that it helped to lower the value.

But it is hard to tell so here are the #'s:

ACTION 5.0 AFR 3.0 AFR

2nd gear lift: 11.3 11.6

3rd gear WOT 14.0 13.4

3rd gear lift 11.4 11.4

4th gear WOT 13.5 13.4

4th gear lift 10.6 12.9 (Not sure this is relevant as I stayed in 4th at reduced throttle)

So while it helped, I'm not sure where to go with it. I think I'll tell Ben about it and let him worry about it when he tunes it. (Unless he thinks the tune is reasonably close and suggests I make a few changes and forgo the dyno.)

Radiator looks great!

Been reading every post in this thread but it's all be about here (holding hand a foot above my head). Despite not understanding it all, great work as always!

For the radiator though, I have a suggestion that might be worth doing. Can you take a photo of the bottom flange? I want to see if the holes and cutouts match my Champion knockoff.

That's not only a 4-row but it is polished!

Wow! That shiny monster fits under the hood, leaving enough place for the fan housing?

:nabble_anim_confused:

It’s really nice (too much?) risky that first bug you’ll hit will probably make you cry.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Happy to take pics of it. Not sure if I'll get to the shop tomorrow, but hopefully at least by Monday. And I understand about not understanding. I'm in waaaaay over my head and am looking forward to getting a pro to do the final tweaking.

And yes, it'll fit. Or, at least its twin sister fits. (Twins can't be identical if brother and sister, but you'd be surprised how many people have asked our grandtwins if they are identical.)

As for bugs, Big Blue is built to use. He has scars from the adventures he's been on, and will surely get more. So I'm not too worried about bugs.

Now for some of the "over my head stuff". The chart below shows the first 672 seconds (11 minutes plus) of startup from cold:

• Engine Coolant Temp in Yellow: Starts at 65F and goes up in a straight line until it hits 182F and the thermostat opens and it drops to 165F due to the coolant in the radiator rushing in. Then it goes back up to 176F at the end of the log.

• AFR in Blue: At startup it goes to 16.9, then there's a little squiggle and it goes up to about 17.7. After that it drifts slowly down until the spot where the system goes into closed-loop control, which is shown by the white line coming in, where it is running about 15.6:1.

• Learned Fuel Trim in White: The white lines, and there are two, that pop up about 2/3's of the way through are the Learned Fuel Trims, one for each side. I think that the point they pop up is when the system goes into closed-loop control, and you can see the AFR comes down to ~15:1 when that happens. And that is at 151F on the engine coolant temp.

• Engine RPM in Red: At startup the R's go to 1300 in a flash but come down to 900 immediately, and then drifts down to ~550 at the 50 second point. From there is slowly moves up until it hits 670 just before the end of the trace, and then drops to the desired idle speed of 650 right at the end.

So I still have some learning and tuning to do as 550 RPM on a "cold" engine isn't what I'm looking for. And since you don't get to "cold start" the truck but about once a day with the weather we are headed into this may take a number of tries. But I have it down from the 1300 RPM it used to idle at when "cold", so I'm sure I can get it back up there part way.

Idle_Speed_vs_Coolant_Temp_05052022.thumb.png.f2737c27531a6c9d8ab0126ba1ef6ec3.png

Happy to take pics of it. Not sure if I'll get to the shop tomorrow, but hopefully at least by Monday. And I understand about not understanding. I'm in waaaaay over my head and am looking forward to getting a pro to do the final tweaking.

And yes, it'll fit. Or, at least its twin sister fits. (Twins can't be identical if brother and sister, but you'd be surprised how many people have asked our grandtwins if they are identical.)

As for bugs, Big Blue is built to use. He has scars from the adventures he's been on, and will surely get more. So I'm not too worried about bugs.

Now for some of the "over my head stuff". The chart below shows the first 672 seconds (11 minutes plus) of startup from cold:

• Engine Coolant Temp in Yellow: Starts at 65F and goes up in a straight line until it hits 182F and the thermostat opens and it drops to 165F due to the coolant in the radiator rushing in. Then it goes back up to 176F at the end of the log.

• AFR in Blue: At startup it goes to 16.9, then there's a little squiggle and it goes up to about 17.7. After that it drifts slowly down until the spot where the system goes into closed-loop control, which is shown by the white line coming in, where it is running about 15.6:1.

• Learned Fuel Trim in White: The white lines, and there are two, that pop up about 2/3's of the way through are the Learned Fuel Trims, one for each side. I think that the point they pop up is when the system goes into closed-loop control, and you can see the AFR comes down to ~15:1 when that happens. And that is at 151F on the engine coolant temp.

• Engine RPM in Red: At startup the R's go to 1300 in a flash but come down to 900 immediately, and then drifts down to ~550 at the 50 second point. From there is slowly moves up until it hits 670 just before the end of the trace, and then drops to the desired idle speed of 650 right at the end.

So I still have some learning and tuning to do as 550 RPM on a "cold" engine isn't what I'm looking for. And since you don't get to "cold start" the truck but about once a day with the weather we are headed into this may take a number of tries. But I have it down from the 1300 RPM it used to idle at when "cold", so I'm sure I can get it back up there part way.

I learned something today, I didn’t realize the odds of brother and sister twins being identical were so high!

What I read said there is a 99.9% they won’t be identical. Now my brain hurts! :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I learned something today, I didn’t realize the odds of brother and sister twins being identical were so high!

What I read said there is a 99.9% they won’t be identical. Now my brain hurts! :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Are you one of a pair of twins?

No, just interesting, something I didn’t realize.

My grandtwins, a girl and a boy, are so different it is difficult to believe they are twins. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Anyway, got the old radiator out and the mods made to the new one: :nabble_smiley_wink:

New_Radiator_Mods.thumb.jpg.685418f6942e4f866dbfb38f51dae630.jpg

And I took pics for Scott. Hope they are what you are looking for, but if not tell me and I'll get them.

However, I did find some differences in the two radiators. For instance, the top flange of the old one is .075" thick and the one on the new radiator is .117". You can see the difference in the pictures. And there are some other minor differences as well. But overall the new one looks great.

Anyway, hope to get it in and the truck back on the road tomorrow. Janey and I are hoping to take it on an excursion soon to try out the new Garmin Montana GPS. But first I have to figure out how to use it and plan the trip on it. And pair it with the Sony radio so it can play the turn-by-turn guidance through it. I think this is going to be light years ahead of the Gaia app on the phone where you had to stop at turns and let it catch up. And it would freeze at the worst possible times.

New__Old_Radiators_-_Back.thumb.jpg.095acd9a0c8b4c8f639e60c9ff0d274c.jpgNew__Old_Radiators_-_Front.thumb.jpg.72b9cd678355f13db3f4160878ec79cc.jpg

New__Old_Radiators_-_Top.thumb.jpg.53eac84a6ae2242ccae2272b76294bdf.jpgNew__Old_Radiators_-_Bottom.thumb.jpg.1997492279a1ec99dc0c852b978b3021.jpg

My grandtwins, a girl and a boy, are so different it is difficult to believe they are twins. :nabble_smiley_oh:

My genetics professor referred to these as: "womb mates"!

Good description! They do have a number of things in common, like a love for reading. But Isla likes to be cool and Ian can't stand to be. From Day 1 you'd better get him wrapped up quickly when changing his diaper or there would be lots of noise.

And Isla's into sports and Ian is into music. It isn't that she doesn't like music or that he doesn't like sports, but each is more into one than the other.

So "womb mates" rather than "twins" makes a lot more sense. :nabble_smiley_good: