Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yes, it is a step forward. I've been in this "take one step forward, now take a step back" routine on this thing for quite some time.

If you look closely at the pic below, which is the one from the left above just blown up, you can see a wear mark on the black showing where the glides have been riding against the powder coating. And it is easy to see that a glide could catch on that corner. Doh! Why didn't I think of that before? :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Anyway, I've now radiused both sides and am waiting on new glides. I think this time I'm breaking out!

That radius looks a lot better!

Thanks, Dane. I’m pretty sure that’s been the problem all along. :nabble_smiley_cry:

The little things sometimes become rather large!

Yep. And this one has been a serious thorn in my side. I knew there was something truly wrong and didn’t think that the width of the tracks was likely to cause what was happening. So I guess I’m not really surprised to find this, but am very pleased that I did.

On the other hand, the cover has to come back off, one more time. But I’m getting pretty good at it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yep. And this one has been a serious thorn in my side. I knew there was something truly wrong and didn’t think that the width of the tracks was likely to cause what was happening. So I guess I’m not really surprised to find this, but am very pleased that I did.

On the other hand, the cover has to come back off, one more time. But I’m getting pretty good at it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, after spending the morning posting about the show on 16 Facebook pages, and it has been shared on several more, I spent the afternoon working on the cover.

First I shoved the cover in and it went into the canister better than it ever has. So I tried it with the motor and it came out as well as it ever has - in spite of what I'm sure are several damaged glides that are binding in the tracks - more of which later.

So I worked on the middle brackets and kick stands. With them spaced properly and the kick stands leveling the rails there's 62 1/8" between the rails at every spot. I'm confident that it is "right" this time.

Then I examined some of the damaged glides. Here's a pic of several of them, most of which are oriented such that the red arrow represents the direction the sharp corner I rounded off approached them. Man, what carnage! Pretty obvious that this has been a problem.

And the one in the lower right is typical of those which have been just damaged. The sharp corner catches them and deforms them so that they bind in the track, which I suspect is what several of the ones that are in there now look like. This thing should work very easily when I get the bad ones replaced. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Carnage_Of_End_Caps.thumb.jpg.57da6a1816cf51b3b0c4ebc7fa01bf61.jpg

Well, after spending the morning posting about the show on 16 Facebook pages, and it has been shared on several more, I spent the afternoon working on the cover.

First I shoved the cover in and it went into the canister better than it ever has. So I tried it with the motor and it came out as well as it ever has - in spite of what I'm sure are several damaged glides that are binding in the tracks - more of which later.

So I worked on the middle brackets and kick stands. With them spaced properly and the kick stands leveling the rails there's 62 1/8" between the rails at every spot. I'm confident that it is "right" this time.

Then I examined some of the damaged glides. Here's a pic of several of them, most of which are oriented such that the red arrow represents the direction the sharp corner I rounded off approached them. Man, what carnage! Pretty obvious that this has been a problem.

And the one in the lower right is typical of those which have been just damaged. The sharp corner catches them and deforms them so that they bind in the track, which I suspect is what several of the ones that are in there now look like. This thing should work very easily when I get the bad ones replaced. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, I tell you the folks at Pace Edwards are REALLY helpful! Today I got a large package in the mail. By actual count there are 102 end caps/glides in it, even though the invoice says there are "just" 100. I suspect that will let me put new ones in every slat in the cover, and have many left over. :nabble_anim_jump:

Well, I tell you the folks at Pace Edwards are REALLY helpful! Today I got a large package in the mail. By actual count there are 102 end caps/glides in it, even though the invoice says there are "just" 100. I suspect that will let me put new ones in every slat in the cover, and have many left over. :nabble_anim_jump:

So are there 50, or actually 51 slats? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Nice of them to set it straight.

Wow! I hadn't looked before. 😳 "Carnage" seems appropriate.

Do self inflicted sounds sting more than normal?

So are there 50, or actually 51 slats? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Nice of them to set it straight.

Wow! I hadn't looked before. 😳 "Carnage" seems appropriate.

Do self inflicted sounds sting more than normal?

I don't know how many slats there are, but will count them to see.

And yes, self-inflicted wounds sting even worse!

I knew this was some kind of a self-inflicted wound. I've been telling the guys at PE that every time I can or write. So they are quite well aware that I'm not claiming it is a warranty issue. But they've been very helpful and I cannot say enough about how helpful they've been.

I don't know how many slats there are, but will count them to see.

And yes, self-inflicted wounds sting even worse!

I knew this was some kind of a self-inflicted wound. I've been telling the guys at PE that every time I can or write. So they are quite well aware that I'm not claiming it is a warranty issue. But they've been very helpful and I cannot say enough about how helpful they've been.

Didn't get to the cover but, as reported in Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray, I did test out the deflators and the inflators. Both work, and extremely well. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the other hand the A/C isn't working well. It is down on pressures again, and I can't see where it has leaked. So I'm calling a local shop on Monday to make an appointment to get it in ASAP. :nabble_smiley_cry:

That, a little more packing, and an oil and filter change are all I have left before heading to Ouray. Oh, and maybe hosting a show? :nabble_anim_confused:

Didn't get to the cover but, as reported in Planning For Big Blue's Trip To Ouray, I did test out the deflators and the inflators. Both work, and extremely well. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On the other hand the A/C isn't working well. It is down on pressures again, and I can't see where it has leaked. So I'm calling a local shop on Monday to make an appointment to get it in ASAP. :nabble_smiley_cry:

That, a little more packing, and an oil and filter change are all I have left before heading to Ouray. Oh, and maybe hosting a show? :nabble_anim_confused:

I awoke at 4:15 this morning thinking about the A/C system. And then it dawned on me, well before dawn, that the leak must be in the evaporator since I haven't been able to find it. And, with a bit of Googling "does R134A have a smell" I found that while it doesn't have much of a smell, the oil does. So that might explain the "funky" smell we had in the cab.

So this afternoon I'll pull the resistor pack and see if I can spot anything in there. Or maybe the motor? I'm thinking that's the best way to get a look inside the plenum. Any better ideas?