Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

This thread will be to chronicle the transformation of Big Blue from a rough-riding truck with an engine that leaks like a sieve into one that is comfortable to ride in and is outfitted for overlanding.

The document below attempts to summarize this rather lengthy thread, but if you want to find specifics just use the search function above and to the right to find details.

And this is his "spec card" that is used at shows:

Next up is the list of parts so he can be maintained:

And now for the electrical schematics:

And then the pinouts to the ECU:

And now the wiring for the Code Alarm CA115E alarm system:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of days ago I bought a "front clip" from a '95 F350 w/a diesel. They cut the frame behind the engine cross member and gave me everything forward of that, including:

• The cross member, which will be used to repair or replace the badly sawzalled one on Big Blue

• A Dana 60 straight axle with 4.10 gears, SRW hubs, bolt-on brakes as well as ball joints instead of king pins

• Steering box and pitman arm

• Panhard rod and bracket

• Shock towers and shocks

• The F350 springs as well as a pair of Superduty springs from an '06 SD

• Tie rods

• All brackets and u-bolts

• 4" riser blocks from the back of another 4wd F350

Today I got it unloaded into the shop and started disassembling it. When I get the D60 out I'll take it somewhere for a complete rebuild as well as to have an Ox locker installed. Here are some pics, starting with it and all its grease on the trailer:

D60_On_The_Trailer.jpg.72c4cf04f3a6defc791894ecc0f9eaa9.jpg

Here 'tis after having been cleaned with the pressure washer and several of the parts removed:

Overall_As_Of_May_27_2019.thumb.jpg.d15e560fccfc5f87fe7cab4752c0e5b0.jpg

And here are the parts that came off today:

Removed_Parts_May_5_2019.thumb.jpg.da2fe55a0cf4c07f1fd4d93ad4d0c24a.jpg

A couple of days ago I bought a "front clip" from a '95 F350 w/a diesel. They cut the frame behind the engine cross member and gave me everything forward of that, including:

• The cross member, which will be used to repair or replace the badly sawzalled one on Big Blue

• A Dana 60 straight axle with 4.10 gears, SRW hubs, bolt-on brakes as well as ball joints instead of king pins

• Steering box and pitman arm

• Panhard rod and bracket

• Shock towers and shocks

• The F350 springs as well as a pair of Superduty springs from an '06 SD

• Tie rods

• All brackets and u-bolts

• 4" riser blocks from the back of another 4wd F350

Today I got it unloaded into the shop and started disassembling it. When I get the D60 out I'll take it somewhere for a complete rebuild as well as to have an Ox locker installed. Here are some pics, starting with it and all its grease on the trailer:

Here 'tis after having been cleaned with the pressure washer and several of the parts removed:

And here are the parts that came off today:

I've been having a good email discussion with Erik at Sky's Offroad Design regarding the bits I need for the front suspension part of this transformation. Today he said:

I realized I didn’t answer your adjustable panhard bar question well enough. When you lift the truck, the stock bar needs to be longer to ensure you can adequately re-center the axle so it doesn’t bind and prematurely wear out your spring bushings. The stock bar is not adjustable.

Shocks, if you’re running V-code springs the 10” travel shocks will be the ticket.

Brakelines, if you’re running V-code springs you shouldn’t need longer brakelines. We only recommend longer brakelines at 3” of lift and up

My response was:

Thanks! But, I actually have U-code springs. Didn't realize that when I got them, but I know the guy that runs the salvage and can swap them later if they don't work. So, I've planned to give them a try - on my '85 F250 w/a 460, Warn winch bumper, and aux battery. Does that sound like a reasonable spring set to try? Or should I swap to V-code before installing them?

On the shocks, got it - 10" travel. You have Bilstein and Procomp. Do you recommend the Bilstein? (I have Bilstein on there now so am inclined to go with theirs on the front.)

Ok, I'll need your adjustable panhard bar. And I'm leaning to the one with bushings rather than Heim joints as this truck will be driven on road as well as some easy to moderate overlanding, but nothing serious. Would you agree that the bushings would be better?

And good to know on the brake lines, but I want to replace those on the D60 axle. I'm not sure how to measure these, but they appear to be 18" long and are on a '95 F350 axle. Do you have a set that would be right?

Trying to get the whole list together before ordering to get everything in one go. And, I do intend to order everything from you instead of getting some of it from elsewhere. I realize that I can get the shocks cheaper elsewhere, but it is worth the difference for the consulting.

And, by the way, I run a forum for the 1980-86 Ford trucks (Bullnose Forum) and all of this will be written up. 👍

To which he said:

U-codes are an interesting spring, we don’t have a lot of experience with them but you may get less lift. If you can get V-codes that’d be better. With a winch bumper and extra battery you may want to switch to X-codes. They will lift around an extra inch but with the extra weight up front it may settle to a V-code height.

We run the bushed panhard bars, they work well. Heim joint option is really for those that have to have heim joints.

We only have lines that are 6” longer than stock, if you wanted to replace them you could always purchase factory lines if you don’t want extra length.

Bilsteins are a better shock, they are the best option until you want to run something 5x the price with adjustable shim stacks.

Thanks for the business Gary!

Look forward to the write-up

So, it looks like I should find heavier springs. I'll call Brent and ask him to see what he has, but I may have to tell him how to ID them, either by the certification label if they are still in the truck, or by the # of leaves and the thickness thereof. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I've been having a good email discussion with Erik at Sky's Offroad Design regarding the bits I need for the front suspension part of this transformation. Today he said:
I realized I didn’t answer your adjustable panhard bar question well enough. When you lift the truck, the stock bar needs to be longer to ensure you can adequately re-center the axle so it doesn’t bind and prematurely wear out your spring bushings. The stock bar is not adjustable. Shocks, if you’re running V-code springs the 10” travel shocks will be the ticket.Brakelines, if you’re running V-code springs you shouldn’t need longer brakelines. We only recommend longer brakelines at 3” of lift and up
My response was:
Thanks! But, I actually have U-code springs. Didn't realize that when I got them, but I know the guy that runs the salvage and can swap them later if they don't work. So, I've planned to give them a try - on my '85 F250 w/a 460, Warn winch bumper, and aux battery. Does that sound like a reasonable spring set to try? Or should I swap to V-code before installing them?On the shocks, got it - 10" travel. You have Bilstein and Procomp. Do you recommend the Bilstein? (I have Bilstein on there now so am inclined to go with theirs on the front.)Ok, I'll need your adjustable panhard bar. And I'm leaning to the one with bushings rather than Heim joints as this truck will be driven on road as well as some easy to moderate overlanding, but nothing serious. Would you agree that the bushings would be better?And good to know on the brake lines, but I want to replace those on the D60 axle. I'm not sure how to measure these, but they appear to be 18" long and are on a '95 F350 axle. Do you have a set that would be right?Trying to get the whole list together before ordering to get everything in one go. And, I do intend to order everything from you instead of getting some of it from elsewhere. I realize that I can get the shocks cheaper elsewhere, but it is worth the difference for the consulting.And, by the way, I run a forum for the 1980-86 Ford trucks (Bullnose Forum) and all of this will be written up. 👍
To which he said:
U-codes are an interesting spring, we don’t have a lot of experience with them but you may get less lift. If you can get V-codes that’d be better. With a winch bumper and extra battery you may want to switch to X-codes. They will lift around an extra inch but with the extra weight up front it may settle to a V-code height.We run the bushed panhard bars, they work well. Heim joint option is really for those that have to have heim joints. We only have lines that are 6” longer than stock, if you wanted to replace them you could always purchase factory lines if you don’t want extra length.Bilsteins are a better shock, they are the best option until you want to run something 5x the price with adjustable shim stacks.Thanks for the business Gary!Look forward to the write-up
So, it looks like I should find heavier springs. I'll call Brent and ask him to see what he has, but I may have to tell him how to ID them, either by the certification label if they are still in the truck, or by the # of leaves and the thickness thereof. :nabble_smiley_thinking:
And now time for today's update. Not a lot to report. But I started by trying to remove the spindle nuts so I can pull the spindles. But that was met with some consternation as I couldn't figure out how the nut was retained. So some searching found this page that says that the nut I have is for auto hubs.

And that led me to this drawing:

Given that I figured out how to get #14 Spindle Nut Key off and was able to get the driver's side nut off using a large pair of long-nose pliers. But the passenger's side nut wouldn't quite come off, so I'm going to go to O'Reilly's to rent/borrow a socket, assuming they have it. Everything I've read said it is a rounded hex and is 2 9/16" across. But the nut measures 2.736", which is obviously 2 3/4". So I'm not hopeful.

Anyway, here's a pic the nut and #14 spindle nut key, with one in place and one laying on top. The arrows show the ends of the key. Anybody seen these before?

D60_Spindle_Nut_and_Lock.thumb.jpg.319effa55697ce5b88f348c61330d80f.jpg

I realized I didn’t answer your adjustable panhard bar question well enough. When you lift the truck, the stock bar needs to be longer to ensure you can adequately re-center the axle so it doesn’t bind and prematurely wear out your spring bushings. The stock bar is not adjustable.

Shocks, if you’re running V-code springs the 10” travel shocks will be the ticket.

Brakelines, if you’re running V-code springs you shouldn’t need longer brakelines. We only recommend longer brakelines at 3” of lift and up

My response was:

Thanks! But, I actually have U-code springs. Didn't realize that when I got them, but I know the guy that runs the salvage and can swap them later if they don't work. So, I've planned to give them a try - on my '85 F250 w/a 460, Warn winch bumper, and aux battery. Does that sound like a reasonable spring set to try? Or should I swap to V-code before installing them?

On the shocks, got it - 10" travel. You have Bilstein and Procomp. Do you recommend the Bilstein? (I have Bilstein on there now so am inclined to go with theirs on the front.)

Ok, I'll need your adjustable panhard bar. And I'm leaning to the one with bushings rather than Heim joints as this truck will be driven on road as well as some easy to moderate overlanding, but nothing serious. Would you agree that the bushings would be better?

And good to know on the brake lines, but I want to replace those on the D60 axle. I'm not sure how to measure these, but they appear to be 18" long and are on a '95 F350 axle. Do you have a set that would be right?

Trying to get the whole list together before ordering to get everything in one go. And, I do intend to order everything from you instead of getting some of it from elsewhere. I realize that I can get the shocks cheaper elsewhere, but it is worth the difference for the consulting.

And, by the way, I run a forum for the 1980-86 Ford trucks (Bullnose Forum) and all of this will be written up. 👍

To which he said:

U-codes are an interesting spring, we don’t have a lot of experience with them but you may get less lift. If you can get V-codes that’d be better. With a winch bumper and extra battery you may want to switch to X-codes. They will lift around an extra inch but with the extra weight up front it may settle to a V-code height.

We run the bushed panhard bars, they work well. Heim joint option is really for those that have to have heim joints.

We only have lines that are 6” longer than stock, if you wanted to replace them you could always purchase factory lines if you don’t want extra length.

Bilsteins are a better shock, they are the best option until you want to run something 5x the price with adjustable shim stacks.

Thanks for the business Gary!

Look forward to the write-up

Bilstein IS the better shock.

ProComp (ProCrap) is the MrGasket of most everything they sell.

Like I said rebuildable is nice but way more $.

About what I thought as far as spring codes.

I like the fact that Erik is trying NOT to sell you a pair of brake hoses you do t need. :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't know what ATS is getting for their springs but they have a great reputation.

And now time for today's update. Not a lot to report. But I started by trying to remove the spindle nuts so I can pull the spindles. But that was met with some consternation as I couldn't figure out how the nut was retained. So some searching found this page that says that the nut I have is for auto hubs.

And that led me to this drawing:

Given that I figured out how to get #14 Spindle Nut Key off and was able to get the driver's side nut off using a large pair of long-nose pliers. But the passenger's side nut wouldn't quite come off, so I'm going to go to O'Reilly's to rent/borrow a socket, assuming they have it. Everything I've read said it is a rounded hex and is 2 9/16" across. But the nut measures 2.736", which is obviously 2 3/4". So I'm not hopeful.

Anyway, here's a pic the nut and #14 spindle nut key, with one in place and one laying on top. The arrows show the ends of the key. Anybody seen these before?

Have I seen the inside of a later D60, or the socket that fits it?I think I have a Lisle socket that fits D60.I can check tomorrow and give you the # if you like.Iirc it was around $40

Have I seen the inside of a later D60, or the socket that fits it?

I think I have a Lisle socket that fits D60.

I can check tomorrow and give you the # if you like.

Iirc it was around $40

Oh, the clips!

Yes.

ABTW, those dust shields..... *swoon*

Oh, the clips!

Yes.

ABTW, those dust shields..... *swoon*

I have yet to even touch the outers on my D60 due to my lack of an appropriate socket for the lock nuts. However, I have the older style manual hubs, so I either have a conversion kit or factory manual hubs.

Bilstein IS the better shock.ProComp (ProCrap) is the MrGasket of most everything they sell.Like I said rebuildable is nice but way more $.About what I thought as far as spring codes.I like the fact that Erik is trying NOT to sell you a pair of brake hoses you do t need. :nabble_smiley_good:I don't know what ATS is getting for their springs but they have a great reputation.
I'm already into the springs to the tune of $150, so I'll at least try to get at least the V-codes if not the X-codes from the salvage. But, in retrospect, new springs might have been a better idea.

I've put together this table based on the ATS table shown below. Does this properly capture what the table says?

Spring_Capacities.jpg.f9d31c80c3df153867ca80b7f76baacb.jpg

Have I seen the inside of a later D60, or the socket that fits it?

I think I have a Lisle socket that fits D60.

I can check tomorrow and give you the # if you like.

Iirc it was around $40

Jim - If you could check the # and size of the socket I'd appreciate it.

As for the dust shields, they'll take some straightening, but should be usable. :nabble_smiley_wink: