Bullnose Forums

New Page: Saginaw Conversions

No whining, and no puking when you turn the steering wheel with the engine off are the two I'm aware of. Maybe more pressure?

Remember the information I dug up on the Saginaw pumps and the different flow control valves. Since virtually all US manufacturers used them at some point they can be found for pretty well any application.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much more linear it seems to me.

Or just more powerful at low rpms?

I'm SO glad I don't have to listen to my pump anymore.

Am I the only one that actually kinda /likes/ the CII whine? Just kinda of a characteristic I grew up with and associate with these old trucks.

I've been lucky, my beater truck has 400k and it has never made a peep. That pump is original.

Am I the only one that actually kinda /likes/ the CII whine? Just kinda of a characteristic I grew up with and associate with these old trucks.

I've been lucky, my beater truck has 400k and it has never made a peep. That pump is original.

Yep. Janey and I were out one day and I heard that whine pull into wherever we were. Without looking I said "Old Ford truck" and she said "How'd you know?" I said "The power steering pump gives it away. Mine won't sound like that." :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yep. Janey and I were out one day and I heard that whine pull into wherever we were. Without looking I said "Old Ford truck" and she said "How'd you know?" I said "The power steering pump gives it away. Mine won't sound like that." :nabble_smiley_wink:

One of the Fords I use to own made that familiar “whine”. My 86 is like yours Angelo, quiet.

:nabble_head-slap-23_orig: Now I’ve done it!

I guess I just got used to it hearing it for 25 years, it's something I don't hear much anymore with modern cars so maybe I'm weird but I almost prefer that it made noise. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

The pump dad used to have in his truck was LOUD. Worked fine, and didn't have the growl they get when low on fluid, just was noisy. Sounded like a supercharger at high rev's.

Well, after I said that maybe I have a Saginaw in there. :nabble_smiley_blush:

An ex girlfriend of mine once said to me on our very first date "I can tell this is a Ford by the whine from the power steering pump". Turns out she had a Ranger at one point that did the same thing.

And let me tell you that whine is much worse on a manual transmission truck.

And let me tell you that whine is much worse on a manual transmission truck.

What? Maybe more pronounced because the C6 also whines?

My power steering pump has always whined since I bought my Ranger ten years ago (Even in 2003 they were still running CII style pumps on the smaller engines). For the first four years the truck was an automatic, and it wasn't that noticeable. But once I swapped the truck to a manual, it became much more noticeable (probably due to the revs staying higher, for longer periods). But that's on a truck with computer controls and O/D. I'm sure a C6 is comparable to a manual.