Bullnose Forums

New Page: Saginaw Conversions

You may recall that Andrew//IDIBronco recently completed a Saginaw conversion on his IDI-equipped Bronco and described his journey in his IDI Saginaw swap. The Saga begins... thread. But, at the end he summarized it quite well in this well-done post.

It was so well done that I thought it deserved to be included on a web page so it can easily be found with a Google search - and things in the forum aren't easily found. So I created a new page: Suspension & Steering/Steering/Saginaw Conversions and put his post on the IDI and V-Belt tabs there.

We aren't quite done with it, so it'll be changing a bit as we refine it. But, we wanted to share that it is there in case you are looking for it.

Also, note that there are places for many other Saginaw conversions, so I welcome your writeups. In fact, I plan to write up the ones I do for Big Blue and Dad's truck. But, Andrew has now set the bar so we'll have to work some to match it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, Jim did a Saginaw conversion on his truck a number of years ago. Donor vehicle was an older van with the V-belt 460. His hardest part was finding the correct pressure hose. I hooked him up on the pump and brackets from Pete's used parts in Newport News VA.

Gary, Jim did a Saginaw conversion on his truck a number of years ago. Donor vehicle was an older van with the V-belt 460. His hardest part was finding the correct pressure hose. I hooked him up on the pump and brackets from Pete's used parts in Newport News VA.

Did the van pressure hose not work in his case? New ones are readily available... I believe Andrew said he had to message the steel line just a bit.

Did the van pressure hose not work in his case? New ones are readily available... I believe Andrew said he had to message the steel line just a bit.

The hose was available, not in the local store. They had it shipped in the next day, so it had to be in the warehouse.

I listed the part number in my post. If. I had a bigger budget to work with on the project I would have cut the 2 stock hoses (idi c2 and van Saginaw) and made a template hose to take to a place to make a hose that would have been right. Although, I do think the tweaking bends of the factory van hose works well enough.

Bill - When the time comes, which hopefully won't be too long, I'll be trying to learn from his experience. But, with all the brackets and pump he sent me from the F450 he parted out it should be easy. However, there is the hose issue. He had to cut one and it was probably the wrong one in the first place, so that may take having one made. We shall see.

The van pressure hose works fine with a little tweaking of the hard line at the steering box.

My problem was that I had read to use the hose from a '78 F-250 4x4 for a Saginaw conversion.

So that is what I purchased initially.

But the fittings we're wrong, so I just bought one for the 1986 E-350 donor.

Bill - When the time comes, which hopefully won't be too long, I'll be trying to learn from his experience. But, with all the brackets and pump he sent me from the F450 he parted out it should be easy. However, there is the hose issue. He had to cut one and it was probably the wrong one in the first place, so that may take having one made. We shall see.

Gary, will you be converting to hydroboost at the same time? I think the pressure hose from the Chevy 6.2 diesel 1-ton will work. It crosses over the opposite side of the booster but I believe it will be a direct fit. If you use the F450 hose at the very minimum you will have to change the end like I did on the ‘81.

Gary, will you be converting to hydroboost at the same time? I think the pressure hose from the Chevy 6.2 diesel 1-ton will work. It crosses over the opposite side of the booster but I believe it will be a direct fit. If you use the F450 hose at the very minimum you will have to change the end like I did on the ‘81.

Jim - Thanks.

Jonathan - That's a good tip. I will be doing hydroboost at the same time, so will give that a try. Thanks.

• 11 months later...

Jim - Thanks.

Jonathan - That's a good tip. I will be doing hydroboost at the same time, so will give that a try. Thanks.

Just curious --- What are the advantages of changing to a Saginaw pump? In all of the Fords that I've owned, I've never had a problem with a Ford C-II pump other than whining. I've always thought of the Saginaw pump as an Econoline part, and everyone knows that Econo's were built out of leftovers...

Just curious --- What are the advantages of changing to a Saginaw pump? In all of the Fords that I've owned, I've never had a problem with a Ford C-II pump other than whining. I've always thought of the Saginaw pump as an Econoline part, and everyone knows that Econo's were built out of leftovers...

No whining, and no puking when you turn the steering wheel with the engine off are the two I'm aware of. Maybe more pressure?