Bullnose Forums

Goodbye 2 barrel, emissions and computer!

My son did the GM module on his Jeep YJ with the AMC 258 six.

He is using the stock dist. that have vacuum advance what dist. you using to trigger the GM part?

Oh you have a v8 so that stock dist. with vacuum advance should work right.

Dave ----

Yes, its a new stock duraspark distributor from rockauto. Fingers crossed that the distributor drive gear is compatible with the flat lifter cam in my engine. I was going to fit the drive gear from the removed distributor but when I took it out, it had three damaged teeth!

Alan.

Yes, its a new stock duraspark distributor from rockauto. Fingers crossed that the distributor drive gear is compatible with the flat lifter cam in my engine. I was going to fit the drive gear from the removed distributor but when I took it out, it had three damaged teeth!

Alan.

Interesting that you say "flat lifter cam" and over here we'd say "flat tappet cam". But we use the term "lifter" and I think you use the term "tappet" to describe the things that go up and down to move the push rods, rocker arms, and subsequently the valves.

Anyway, a stock distributor should have the right gear for that cam.

Interesting that you say "flat lifter cam" and over here we'd say "flat tappet cam". But we use the term "lifter" and I think you use the term "tappet" to describe the things that go up and down to move the push rods, rocker arms, and subsequently the valves.

Anyway, a stock distributor should have the right gear for that cam.

Here is how I mounted the hei module on the fender well:

20190506_083955.jpg.c2df9179119391ff5a1246e4bcc59246.jpg

And inside the box:

20190506_084108.jpg.5b604bee787cd19badbceaaae2a69fd9.jpg

Not sure why the pics have rotated!?!

Here is how I mounted the hei module on the fender well:

And inside the box:

Not sure why the pics have rotated!?!

Good job. Nice and neat. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the pics, Nabble doesn't have the code to read the metadata in the pic and rotate it. That has to be done prior to uploading. I use various photo editing software to do that and it work - most of the time on the first try. But sometimes I have to save it multiple times to get it the way it should be. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Good job. Looks nice. Would be interesting to do an experiment with temps. Put a thermometer inside that box. See how hot it gets. Then put a thermometer inside the cap. Compare.

Perhaps, I think it’s got to be cooler than in the distributor though.

Perhaps, I think it’s got to be cooler than in the distributor though.

I agree. Heat is kryptonite to solid state electronics, so the cooler you can keep it the longer it'll live. I think the fender liner ("apron" in Ford-speak) is a good location, but the fender itself might be slightly better.

Very tidy. Well done! :nabble_smiley_good:

I somehow envision depotting an old DSII and repurposing it as a 'stockish' looking heatsink/housing.

How many watts does a GM module draw?

The HEI style 'all in one' distributors don't seem to have issues with overheating.

........The HEI style 'all in one' distributors don't seem to have issues with overheating.

This is what I was trying to say. But, if someone wants to overthink something, by all means let them do it. I just dont have time anymore to overthink. If a bigger hammer, or a blow torch cant fix it, I move on. Someday I will have the time on my hands too...