Bullnose Forums

Goodbye 2 barrel, emissions and computer!

Got fed up trying to fix my running problems and lack of power so bit the bullet and binned all the junk.

Holley 4 barrel, Edelbrock manifold and duraspark distributor fitted with hei module. Got a few bits to tidy up then it’s ready to run. I’ll post some pics later.

Alan

That should do it. :nabble_smiley_good:

Are you fitting the HEI module in the dizzy? I'm curious to see how that's done.

Can't wait for the results.

Hi Gary. No I’ve mounted the hei in a separate housing on the drivers side fender well. Found the wiring loom to be in a terrible state at the back of the engine, bare wires where they had worn right through! I’m surprised it didn’t catch on fire as the fusible link to the ecu was bare! All gone now that the computer and associated wiring has been removed.

Alan

Hi Gary. No I’ve mounted the hei in a separate housing on the drivers side fender well. Found the wiring loom to be in a terrible state at the back of the engine, bare wires where they had worn right through! I’m surprised it didn’t catch on fire as the fusible link to the ecu was bare! All gone now that the computer and associated wiring has been removed.

Alan

I think that placement of the HEI module makes sense as it'll keep it cooler than in the dizzy would.

Those wires may be the worst I've heard of. Having said that, I did part out a truck once that obviously had a bad oil leak on the driver's side. And when I retrieved the DS-II harness I found out why - it had been trapped under the valve cover! Not only was there a substantial leak, but the insulation on the wires was badly damaged.

Got fed up trying to fix my running problems and lack of power so bit the bullet and binned all the junk.

Holley 4 barrel, Edelbrock manifold and duraspark distributor fitted with hei module. Got a few bits to tidy up then it’s ready to run. I’ll post some pics later.

Alan

Just finished up the same. I installed a relay harness I found at Rural King. Has relay, all the proper gauge wiring, I am using the original coil wire to trigger the relay. Just finished soldering, and wrapping the harness. Cant wait to fire it it.

About heat....on a 300 six the HEI dizzy get PLENTY of air flow from the rad fan. I would not worry about heat in my case. If a factory GM HEI can live, perform and do well at the back of a chevy up agaist a firewall, then an HEI mounted basically directly in front of the fan on a ford will remain better cooled. Six half dozen or another. Dont really matter where you put the module. Put it where you want to. It'll survive just fine.

Alan

Just finished up the same. I installed a relay harness I found at Rural King. Has relay, all the proper gauge wiring, I am using the original coil wire to trigger the relay. Just finished soldering, and wrapping the harness. Cant wait to fire it it.

About heat....on a 300 six the HEI dizzy get PLENTY of air flow from the rad fan. I would not worry about heat in my case. If a factory GM HEI can live, perform and do well at the back of a chevy up agaist a firewall, then an HEI mounted basically directly in front of the fan on a ford will remain better cooled. Six half dozen or another. Dont really matter where you put the module. Put it where you want to. It'll survive just fine.

I’ve got the module mounted to an aluminium plate with heat sink paste between. This is then inside an aluminium casing with the relay, and mounted on the plastic inner fender. I will carry a spare module in the glovebox too just in case. I’ll post some pics soon as I can.

Alan

I’ve got the module mounted to an aluminium plate with heat sink paste between. This is then inside an aluminium casing with the relay, and mounted on the plastic inner fender. I will carry a spare module in the glovebox too just in case. I’ll post some pics soon as I can.

Alan

This is the only pic I have for now, I will take some of the hei mounting tomorrow.

received_451083712307433.jpeg.e627b5779ae0cfaad0971036e8c49791.jpeg

Alan

That is the way Lucas did their "constant energy" ignition, GM 4 pin HEI module in an aluminum heat sink that mounted between the coil bracket and fender on an MG, on the Jag 6s it was on the front of the intake manifold as the coil sat on the front of the head.

That is the way Lucas did their "constant energy" ignition, GM 4 pin HEI module in an aluminum heat sink that mounted between the coil bracket and fender on an MG, on the Jag 6s it was on the front of the intake manifold as the coil sat on the front of the head.

I think we discovered that those systems are EXPENSIVE, even in the UK where Alan is. So, he's come up with what is probably an inexpensive, at least by comparison, alternative. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think we discovered that those systems are EXPENSIVE, even in the UK where Alan is. So, he's come up with what is probably an inexpensive, at least by comparison, alternative. :nabble_smiley_good:

My son did the GM module on his Jeep YJ with the AMC 258 six.

He is using the stock dist. that have vacuum advance what dist. you using to trigger the GM part?

Oh you have a v8 so that stock dist. with vacuum advance should work right.

Dave ----