Bullnose Forums

460 mild performance build

I haven't gotten to making it yet.

My tiny generator has a hard time running anything more than the lights and grinder *or* vacuum.

I did get an inverter at Harbor Freight yesterday.

So, I'm having a hard time reaching deep inside enough into the ports without banging up the seats with the collet.

Longer burrs on order.

Maybe I should work on the chambers?

IMG_20171113_185331.jpg.f43f9ea9bbc3b757252f5a6369842247.jpg

IMG_20171113_185606.jpg.41dab9a3ffc783b1911c03c9de605309.jpg

IMG_20171114_064118.jpg.7a37a4679887b2a32aa4980c42f017aa.jpg

IMG_20171114_064131.thumb.jpg.3176102beafe15cfbaf3c7d15c9ae1ba.jpg

I did make an adapter yesterday.

IMG_20171113_185343.jpg.1f792d0d8ca60e7c6f5f176c3efe1fcd.jpg

There was no way to even get my fingertip past the Thermactor hump.

Now....

IMG_20171113_185642.thumb.jpg.67f0306c912e3c899ad2eb793f707fca.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm having a hard time reaching deep inside enough into the ports without banging up the seats with the collet.

Longer burrs on order.

Maybe I should work on the chambers?

I did make an adapter yesterday.

There was no way to even get my fingertip past the Thermactor hump.

Now....

Your adapter idea is better than mine. I envisioned a flat plate somehow held to the head. But that would have sucked through both ports and the plug hole. Yours will be much more effective. 👍

It was tough getting into the Windsor heads w/o hitting a seat, and I’m sure the 460 heads are even worse given how far you have to reach. Perhaps you may have to have a machine shop put a 5-angle job an the valves and seats when done?

But what are you going to do on the chambers? There’s not much I can see beyond smoothing.

Anyway, the thermactor bumps being gone is going to make a huge difference. Or, maybe I should say it did on the Windsor heads.

Your adapter idea is better than mine. I envisioned a flat plate somehow held to the head. But that would have sucked through both ports and the plug hole. Yours will be much more effective. 👍

It was tough getting into the Windsor heads w/o hitting a seat, and I’m sure the 460 heads are even worse given how far you have to reach. Perhaps you may have to have a machine shop put a 5-angle job an the valves and seats when done?

But what are you going to do on the chambers? There’s not much I can see beyond smoothing.

Anyway, the thermactor bumps being gone is going to make a huge difference. Or, maybe I should say it did on the Windsor heads.

Unshroud the valves by cutting straight down to the peremiter of the head gasket.

And lay back the chamber right from the seat.

IMG_20171114_071745.jpg.59246695e9519f91324bd29a4d7ef148.jpg

IMG_20171114_072653.jpg.22797200a5d8a81d6006add8f8b12d31.jpg

Unshroud the valves by cutting straight down to the peremiter of the head gasket.

And lay back the chamber right from the seat.

Don’t realize how much is showing beyond the gasket. And it isn’t even round! Now I understand. But how much does that drop the CR? Can you get it back when you zero-deck the block?

Don’t realize how much is showing beyond the gasket. And it isn’t even round! Now I understand. But how much does that drop the CR? Can you get it back when you zero-deck the block?

Get it back???? :nabble_anim_crazy:

To what? Stock at 7.8:1?

I'm going with the '88-'92 5cc dish pistons at whatever deck will allow me to run 93 R+M/2 pump premium.

Even if the slugs end up out of the hole.

Kinda wish E85 was widely available around here.

Get it back???? :nabble_anim_crazy:

To what? Stock at 7.8:1?

I'm going with the '88-'92 5cc dish pistons at whatever deck will allow me to run 93 R+M/2 pump premium.

Even if the slugs end up out of the hole.

Kinda wish E85 was widely available around here.

Ok, apparently you have all the compression you need. So, dropping a bit via the combustion chambers isn’t a problem. Got it. 😬

Ok, apparently you have all the compression you need. So, dropping a bit via the combustion chambers isn’t a problem. Got it. 😬

Well, I finally got the baby torch set to go with my baby tanks and cart.

With some heat I hope to be able to get the manifolds off the engine without tipping the cart over.

Then it will be time to strip the '95 engine and measure things up for a master rebuild kit.

Then confer with Scott on the valvetrain.

With the damage I've already done to the seats in *this* head I wonder if bigger valves are the way to go?

I'll also need to cc the heads and possibly equalize volumes.

Hope I can find my burette and plate.

Depending on what this engine really has when it's finished I may have to rename the truck.

Well, I finally got the baby torch set to go with my baby tanks and cart.

With some heat I hope to be able to get the manifolds off the engine without tipping the cart over.

Then it will be time to strip the '95 engine and measure things up for a master rebuild kit.

Then confer with Scott on the valvetrain.

With the damage I've already done to the seats in *this* head I wonder if bigger valves are the way to go?

I'll also need to cc the heads and possibly equalize volumes.

Hope I can find my burette and plate.

Depending on what this engine really has when it's finished I may have to rename the truck.

Big Red? Big BAD Red? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Big Red? Big BAD Red? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Big Red, maybe.

or Smokey.

Or some sleeper name.

It is just a hard working truck, everyday.

I think I need to hook up my foot pedal because it is inconvenient to adjust speed with the dial.

It is always good to practice foot control.

For TIG, but I'm probably going to need it with half again as much power as this truck had stock.

Anyway, I have cutters coming in today.

And a little inspection light to dedicate to the vacuum adapter.

And a torch to practice with.

And, and, and