Bullnose Forums

Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

Ok, thanks. But just so I am sure I understand, If I go with F350 springs I need the rear spring hanger off that, or a similar, F350. But, if I go with SD springs everything comes in the Sky kit. Right?

But, what about the pitman arm? Get the one from the F350?

I think the 250 hanger will work with the SORD RSK. At least that's the impression I got from their instructions.

As for the pitman arm, I see no mention of needing a 350 drop arm with their regular 350 RSK.

(and doing a straight across SAS essentially gives you a stock 350 front end)

But IDK what Superduty springs might add to that.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, thanks. But just so I am sure I understand, If I go with F350 springs I need the rear spring hanger off that, or a similar, F350. But, if I go with SD springs everything comes in the Sky kit. Right?

But, what about the pitman arm? Get the one from the F350?

Update: I just looked through the pics and it appears this is for a DRW truck. Don't know how I missed that. :nabble_smiley_scared:

So, how much am I looking at for new hubs? I'm finding them to be 'spensive: East Coast Gears: $220/ea, used. What am I missing?

I think the 250 hanger will work with the SORD RSK. At least that's the impression I got from their instructions.

As for the pitman arm, I see no mention of needing a 350 drop arm with their regular 350 RSK.

(and doing a straight across SAS essentially gives you a stock 350 front end)

But IDK what Superduty springs might add to that.

If you add more than a leveling kit to the truck, you'll need the drop pitman arm. So if the Sky kit gives you 2", that will put you right at the end of the steering linkage travel. If you were to put lift springs in, you definitely need the drop pitman.

If you add more than a leveling kit to the truck, you'll need the drop pitman arm. So if the Sky kit gives you 2", that will put you right at the end of the steering linkage travel. If you were to put lift springs in, you definitely need the drop pitman.

Ok guys, from what you've said I can try the F350's pitman arm, but with the Sky kit it may not work.

As for the hubs, $275, inc shipping, gets the hubs.

But, here's the latest news: On eBay they state that the axle has 3.54 gears. But, when poking around their site it shows the same truck but says 4.10 gears - although they want $175 less than on eBay. I don't think this one is going to work out. Wrong hubs and wrong gears is more than I want to bite off, at least until I wait a bit and see what others might find.

But I will call them on Monday to find out what they say they about the gearing. And, I'll check to see if they might have the right hubs. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Ok guys, from what you've said I can try the F350's pitman arm, but with the Sky kit it may not work.

But, here's the latest news: On eBay they state that the axle has 3.54 gears. But, when poking around their site it shows the same truck but says 4.10 gears - although they want $175 less than on eBay. I don't think this one is going to work out. Wrong hubs and wrong gears is more than I want to bite off, at least until I wait a bit and see what others might find.

But I will call them on Monday to find out what they say they about the gearing. And, I'll check to see if they might have the right hubs. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I wouldn't hold your breath, most dually 4x4's came with 4.10's. I'm still trying to find a definitive answer on that.

Maybe try this one? It's a 97 though, so it has ball joints and bolt on calipers.

Gary.jpg.55b6b47ef933079df9f0a51d37e56a11.jpg

I wouldn't hold your breath, most dually 4x4's came with 4.10's. I'm still trying to find a definitive answer on that.

Maybe try this one? It's a 97 though, so it has ball joints and bolt on calipers.

Good find, Shaun! :nabble_smiley_good:

I've found their website and it does show that axle is available. So I'll contact them on Monday. Just call me Paladin - have trailer will travel. (WAY before your time.)

And, by the way, here's a screen shot from the search function on the website. DRW has but one ratio according to them. I'll have to take a peek at the '86 dealer facts book and see if I can figure it out.

Axle_Ratio_Options.jpg.0aae7afc9754d6246eba4d938f6de245.jpg

Good find, Shaun! :nabble_smiley_good:

I've found their website and it does show that axle is available. So I'll contact them on Monday. Just call me Paladin - have trailer will travel. (WAY before your time.)

And, by the way, here's a screen shot from the search function on the website. DRW has but one ratio according to them. I'll have to take a peek at the '86 dealer facts book and see if I can figure it out.

No factory 4WD DRW pickups in 1986, only cab and chassis and they would have been Dana rears.

No factory 4WD DRW pickups in 1986, only cab and chassis and they would have been Dana rears.

Thanks, Bill.

All y'all - I'm trying to count up what this D60 adventure might cost. Assuming I can get a D60 axle for ~$800, the Sky 85-91 Ford F-350 4x4 2" Front Shackle Reversal (Superduty Spring) for $615 inc shipping, and SD springs for $185, that makes it $1600 to that point.

Then the question becomes what, if anything, to do about a locker. I've re-read what was said earlier in this thread about front lockers, and the only thing I'd want to do is a selectable unit, like the Ox. And that's another $1300 w/o shipping but including electric shift and an installation kit.

But, shouldn't I replace the ball joints, u-joints, and tie rod ends while it is out? We've just now topped $3K. Plus, does the Ox need professional installation?

I really need to understand what I'm getting into before pulling the trigger, so would appreciate y'all thinking this through with me. And, as a reminder, I'm outfitting BB to be a competent overlander so I can take Janey wheeling in CO and then take my son on some more strenuous trips. But I don't think we'll ever take seriously challenging courses.

Also, is there any significant advantage to doing the locker while the axle is out of the truck? Or might that be done later?

But, shouldn't I replace the ball joints, u-joints, and tie rod ends while it is out? We've just now topped $3K. Plus, does the Ox need professional installation?

Also, is there any significant advantage to doing the locker while the axle is out of the truck? Or might that be done later?

Yes, most of those parts will probably need replacement and it's better to replace them now than later.

Doing the locker with the axle out means that if you have to take it to a shop for professional installation, you're only taking an axle housing, and not an entire truck. Which would you rather do?